PDA

View Full Version : My jeep will be getting a new heart

OBXFunn
03-05-2010, 8:44am
Well after a few years of messing with my badass 6 cyl stroker motor, I have realized that it will just never be right. The shop that built it just F'ed it up so bad that it would have to be completely redone including fuel system and everything.
So after talking to Ed at VA Speed, they are giving me a parts list and quote for a LS6 that will be installed. I am going to buy all the needed parts and make sure VA Speed has their hands on them before the Jeep gets dropped off. Ed said maybe it the 2 to 3 week range for the install as long as they don't have issues or get slammed with work. The motor will just be a basic LS6 and nothing crazy with HP but still a LS6 in my Jeep will be pretty sweet.

Munch
03-05-2010, 9:21am
LS6+Jeep=:willy: Should be pretty sweet! Keep us posted.

I am imagining a CJ7 but what jeep do you have and is it lifted with big tires or what?

OBXFunn
03-05-2010, 9:40am
Its a TJ with an 8" Skyjacker lift, 35" MT Baja claws,Corbeau seats, Detroit lockers front and rear, NV4500 trans, and an Atlas II Ultra low transfer case.

http://www.rockreadytj.com/Jeep6.jpg

http://www.rockreadytj.com/Jeep22.JPG

WKMCD
03-05-2010, 10:28am
That sounds sweet. Get Shawn to hook you up with one of these:

Virginia Speed 656hp 427 - LS1TECH (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/new-products-showcase/1249118-virginia-speed-656hp-427-a.html)

OBXFunn
03-05-2010, 10:35am
Wow that is sweet but overkill for the Jeep. I dont want to much power in the Jeep so I dont twist axles if the wheels get in a tight spot. I wonder how much power it would take to lift the tires off the ground, now that would be cool and a stop light. It would make a lot of Mustang owners sad, haha

WKMCD
03-05-2010, 10:39am
Wow that is sweet but overkill for the Jeep. I dont want to much power in the Jeep so I dont twist axles if the wheels get in a tight spot. I wonder how much power it would take to lift the tires off the ground, now that would be cool and a stop light. It would make a lot of Mustang owners sad, haha

If it doesn't lift the front it's going to jump straight up in the air about 12 inches. :yesnod:

The engine in the pic will soon be dropped into a white C5 vert.

Cobra4B
03-05-2010, 2:04pm
Any thoughts about swapping out the cam to a super low end torque setup? Or does your gearing make engine torque output/rpm irrelevant?

OBXFunn
03-05-2010, 9:35pm
I have a 117 to 1 crawl ratio so torque isnt an issue.

85corvettekws
04-07-2010, 7:23am
.... It would make a lot of Mustang owners sad, haha

what about other jeep owners who only have a 4 cyl?? it would make them (me) sad too. very nice jeep btw.:yesnod:

OBXFunn
04-07-2010, 8:29am
Mine started life as a 4 banger and I even ran the 4 with 35" tires. I think I could do 55 if I was drafting on the highway and if the wind blew I would slow down, haha. The 4 was fine around town but highway driving so not good. Even with the 4.88 gears it was a pig. Oh and the pictures of me off-road was when the Jeep had the 4 banger in it and it worked fine off-road.

85corvettekws
04-07-2010, 10:53am
mine is just my DD so the 4 is...ok at best. i drive between the VA/NC line and ODU every day so i'm used to the power or lack thereof. i think your jeep will be an absolute blast with a vette motor in it tho. looks like i have something to aim for now!