PDA

View Full Version : Alternator bracket removal

Munch
02-28-2010, 9:08am
I want to pull my alt bracket to make it pretty but all the write ups I've seen on this make it sound like a PITA. It looks like the pulley for the PS pump is in the way and needs to be smashed and replaced from what I've read. My PS pulley is solid and has no holes to get a socket through.

Can someone tell me if there is some easy way to get the alt bracket off without having to replace my PS pump pulley? By easy I mean less than an hour and not replacing any parts.

Thanks!

WKMCD
02-28-2010, 9:20am
There is no easy way. You need to use an open end wrench and back the bolts out a little at a time.

Sneaks
02-28-2010, 9:42am
There is no easy way. You need to use an open end wrench and back the bolts out a little at a time.

:iagree: Then repalce the stock pulley for one with holes in it. :thumbs:

Y2Kvert4me
02-28-2010, 10:09am
It is a PITA, no easy way to do it.

You can get the bracket/pump/pulley assembly out of the car without needing to replace the pulley, but if your plans for the bracket would need the pump removed from the bracket, then the pulley will have to come off and (almost certainly) replaced.

You'll also find removing the water pump first will greatly aid in accessing the 4 bolts securing the bracket to the head.

I wouldn't attempt this job without having a new pulley on hand (get the C6 pulley, it has holes), a PS pulley removal/installation tool. And to pull the whole assembly like this, you'll need an 18mm flare wrench for the PS hose that connects to the pinion housing on the rack.

Here is a pic of the whole assembly off the car, with a spoked pulley (helps you better see how things are assembled).

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7316/newpsbracket.jpg

Once you have a pulley like that on it, then future removal becomes a little easier, as you can remove the pump from the bracket, and not have to mess with removing the PS hose at the rack.

:cheers:

Munch
02-28-2010, 11:15am
Thanks fellas. Suddenly the stock bracket is starting to grow on me.

BillyTz06
03-01-2010, 8:48pm
This might help you . CREATIVE ENGINE COVERS has just come out with a chrome alternator bracket cover that will cover every part of the bracket that is visible on the car. It is easily installed without removing the bracket. It is not on their website yet so give Bill a call at 804-763-6288www.creativeenginecovers.com