PDA

View Full Version : Overall cost of owning a vette vs jap cars?

desibaba
08-19-2011, 1:19pm
So far all the vehicles i have owned have been honda or toyota products but i have wanted a corvette since i was a kid. I know most people in general feel american vehicles require a bit more maintenance as they get up there in miles. Im looking into a 05 or up vette coupe with a manual tranny. Other than the tires and possibly higher insurance costs what do i need to know about when it comes to maintenance? I will be buying an extended warranty through carmax that will take the car upto 150k miles (total) or next 6 years for all mechanical and electrical things in the car. Any other costs i need to know about? They seem to be pretty good on gas mileage. It will be my daily driver.

C4fan
08-20-2011, 3:19pm
Our previous car was a Nissan Maxima 2005. It was a great car with decent power but we only got 24 mpg at best with a 3.5 ltr (265 hp) engine. Most people I've talked to get around 25-27 mpg who arent lead footed. We are getting about 26+ just after having ours tuned and with light mods. We haven't owned ours very long (about a yr) but we do hang out with other Vette owners I don't hear any abnormal stories about costly maintenance. I guess it also depends on what "up there in miles" means too. I have to admit I personally don't know any 150k mile C6 owners. But I have little doubt that, taken care of, these cars will get there easily without issue. Any mfg can spit out a lemon though.