PDA

View Full Version : Decisions

1TZSLO
02-22-2010, 5:20pm
Well I canceled my order from A&A to buy a used D1SC with all parts its the Dual intercooler type. I should have it by this Saturday.

The decision. I don't have a second car and as much as I don't know about corvettes I want to know more. So I am pondering installing the S/C myself here on base and then taking it to my shop to tune. All in all I am saving over 1000 on the kit itself, and I would be saving another 1500 give or take some on the install.

Good Idea or bad. I am leaning towards letting the shop do it so I dont have to hassle with no car and myself being decently mechanical but not with an install like this. I think with all parts in hand I could possibly have this done in a weekend. With a friend helping. I THINK haha. god willing nothing breaks or goes wrong, which tends to happen.

Any Ideas?

Pics of the D1sc
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...charger%20Kit/

Shagster
02-22-2010, 5:47pm
I did my first S/C install on my friends Z06. I have a lift and almost every tool to work on a vet. It was an A&A and we had to drill and tap the front of the oil pan. We had to drill and pin the crank/pulley all the steering has to come out to do that. It is LOTS of work...it took us 2 full weekends to do.
Hope this helps!!

1TZSLO
02-22-2010, 5:50pm
I did my first S/C install on my friends Z06. I have a lift and almost every tool to work on a vet. It was an A&A and we had to drill and tap the front of the oil pan. We had to drill and pin the crank/pulley all the steering has to come out to do that. It is LOTS of work...it took us 2 full weekends to do.
Hope this helps!!

Yeah Kinda helps out some. Just need a second car. Then I wouldn't care, just not feeling getting a rental :lol:

Shagster
02-22-2010, 5:55pm
Yeah Kinda helps out some. Just need a second car. Then I wouldn't care, just not feeling getting a rental :lol:

They were no shorter then 10 hr days..... are you doing meth injection?
We did...
We dropped the gas tank and put in a higher flow fuel pump inside all so.

1TZSLO
02-22-2010, 5:57pm
Running a KB Boost a Pump. No meth.

Y2Kvert4me
02-22-2010, 6:05pm
The D1SC is self contained for oiling, it doesn't use the engine's oil, so no drilling into the pan will be needed, but yeah, the rack will have to come out to pin the crank. Depending on the kit, the radiator may have to be laid down some too (which entails replacing the support frame for it).

Don't forget the injectors and fuel pump upgrades either. I wouldn't try to drive to a tuner with the larger injectors, it'll run stupid rich on the stock tune. And if you hit ANY positive manifold pressure (boost), the car will go in Reduced Power mode (and barely run).

If you've never done a blower install before, I don't see you getting it done in a weekend. It's a quite a bit more involved than hanging the head unit and connecting some piping together.

Saving money is always good, but this is not a project to be on a strict time constraint with. Rent a car for a week if you need to, so if and when you run into the inevitable issues and missing parts/hardware, etc, it won't be the end of the world.

And if you must drive it to the tuner, get a mail order or starter tune for it that accounts for the injector and drastic airflow changes it will be seeing.

:cheers:

1TZSLO
02-22-2010, 6:16pm
Yeah it comes with 60# injectors and the KB Boost a pump. the only thing I had to buy was the belt and the crank pining kit.

I am guessing from the information yall have posted, once I get the kit and I seperate everything and start checking to make sure I have all couplers and bolts and Tclamps I will label them in bags and if I need some small things like that its not a big deal. But from looking at the pics it seems to be all there to the best of my knowledge.

This is also the 2 intercooler kit not the single Ram air like A&A. The guy is from TN and said in the summers he never had problems with the heat.

Then I will just prolly take it to my shop and let them have at it. The more yall post the more I dont want to hassle lol

Cobra4B
02-22-2010, 9:18pm
Bad idea... A&A kit is hands down the best out there. If this is your only car you shouldnt bother modding like this. Your blower install wont happen in a weekend.. youll need to get to work etc. My $0.02 buy a beater.

1TZSLO
02-22-2010, 9:21pm
You are right but the deal is done. I couldn't really pass it up. More than likely I will have the shop install it. Was just pondering the thought. Buying a beater is a good idea but then again, I live in an apartment so parking is hard to find a non reserved spot.

zz4vetteguy
02-22-2010, 10:56pm
Shop, take it to it....Also as Brian said, it you want to heavily mod your car, I would seriously suggest looking into getting a second vehicle. Talk to Jeff aka Greenman, (just don't listen to him if he says his spending lots of money on go fast parts is my fault cause I talked him into going racing), he has had to do a lot of extra work since his S/C install.

No one here is trying to talk you out of doing any of this, just knowledgeable people trying to give you advice to consider as you devirginize your Vette

1TZSLO
02-22-2010, 11:28pm
Sometime in the Summer I will buy a small beater, but atm the vette is all I have. but once the install is done. I will be searching for one. ATM, the money is being used for te vette haha.

And really my car wont be heavily modded, but like most here once you start you can't stop lol prolly this comming winter ill be doing a forged motor of some sort. but after a DD .

Cobra4B
02-23-2010, 9:26am
You're not getting it... a supercharged C5 is heavily modded... wanting to forge the motor = heavily modded. Only car and heavily modded do not mix. Projects never go as planned, **** brakes, **** brakes again, parts get on backorder etc. But you can learn the hard way like the rest of us :cheers:

EDIT: The main thing is I get the sense that you're trying to pinch pennies. While I'm the king of cheap bastards when it comes to modding (I buy nearly everything used) there are certain areas you don't skimp. I've always said if I can't afford to do it twice then I'm not going to do it once. Others will say it like this, "Take your planned budget... then double it and add a few bucks".

Trying to save a few bucks and install a blower on your only mode of transportation is a recipie for a serious headache. Plus, the kit you're getting isn't up to the quality of the A&A kit or the ECS kit and the intercooler design and head unit bracket design aren't as efficient.

My $0.02 send it all back, get a beater, then do it once and do it right.

WKMCD
02-23-2010, 9:31am
All these reasons is why my car remains stock!

Cobra4B
02-23-2010, 10:08am
Oh yeah 100% stock.... according to Va Speed you're a rich 'ol sugar daddy :rofl:

1TZSLO
02-23-2010, 11:34am
You're not getting it... a supercharged C5 is heavily modded... wanting to forge the motor = heavily modded. Only car and heavily modded do not mix. Projects never go as planned, **** brakes, **** brakes again, parts get on backorder etc. But you can learn the hard way like the rest of us :cheers:

EDIT: The main thing is I get the sense that you're trying to pinch pennies. While I'm the king of cheap bastards when it comes to modding (I buy nearly everything used) there are certain areas you don't skimp. I've always said if I can't afford to do it twice then I'm not going to do it once. Others will say it like this, "Take your planned budget... then double it and add a few bucks".

Trying to save a few bucks and install a blower on your only mode of transportation is a recipie for a serious headache. Plus, the kit you're getting isn't up to the quality of the A&A kit or the ECS kit and the intercooler design and head unit bracket design aren't as efficient.

My $0.02 send it all back, get a beater, then do it once and do it right.

While I appreciate your insight on this, the deed has been done like I said before. Everyone's opinion is varied. I have built a few different DSM's (which break more than anything if done wrong)
So I know the reasons by which you say get a DD first. But atm it's not feasiable in my mind.

I dont mind driving a rental for a week :lol:

Sneaks
02-23-2010, 3:28pm
Ahemmmmmm....:toetap:

thegreenman
02-23-2010, 5:50pm
Shop, take it to it....Also as Brian said, it you want to heavily mod your car, I would seriously suggest looking into getting a second vehicle. Talk to Jeff aka Greenman, (just don't listen to him if he says his spending lots of money on go fast parts is my fault cause I talked him into going racing), he has had to do a lot of extra work since his S/C install.

No one here is trying to talk you out of doing any of this, just knowledgeable people trying to give you advice to consider as you devirginize your Vette

Joe, why are you calling me out, I am just trying to stay ahead of you on the track, I even tried to take a shortcut through the Langley infield to get in front of you. :lolsmile:

For me downtime isn't a big deal, I have another ride and a garage.

I have to agree with Joe, the install of a SC is just the start of the mods, but it can be managed. Some additional upgrades weren't required but I thought it would be wise, such as new radiator (cooling), widebody kit with wheels/tires (traction) and currently a meth kit install 9protect engine).

1TZSLO
02-23-2010, 5:58pm
Yeah Gary's 345's on the rear was really insane to see. haha. I loved it.

thegreenman
02-23-2010, 6:04pm
Yeah Gary's 345's on the rear was really insane to see. haha. I loved it.

Gary has done a few mods. :lolsmile:

Sneaks
02-23-2010, 7:28pm
Gary has done a few mods. :lolsmile:

I hadn't noticed.......:leaving:
:D

Lowcash
02-23-2010, 7:52pm
:rofl:

zz4vetteguy
02-23-2010, 9:04pm

I want what he is drinking. :beer:

zz4vetteguy
02-23-2010, 9:09pm
Joe, why are you calling me out, I am just trying to stay ahead of you on the track, I even tried to take a shortcut through the Langley infield to get in front of you. :lolsmile:

For me downtime isn't a big deal, I have another ride and a garage.

I have to agree with Joe, the install of a SC is just the start of the mods, but it can be managed. Some additional upgrades weren't required but I thought it would be wise, such as new radiator (cooling), widebody kit with wheels/tires (traction) and currently a meth kit install 9protect engine).

Yeah, like my little LS1 is going to give your LS3 a run for it's money.

But you were already ahead of me :skep:

zz4vetteguy
02-23-2010, 9:12pm
Gary has completely taken the car apart, repainted it, put it back together, saw a microscopic paint flaw and took it apart again and repainted it again, put it back together and then done a few mods this week. :lolsmile:

Fixed it for you. :lol:

zz4vetteguy
02-23-2010, 9:14pm

Have you read my signature....you just buy used, I am willing to whore myself out for mods....:lolsmile: