PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

PortDawg
08-07-2011, 10:46am
Anyone ever have temp problems? Mine gets hot in traffic. Had to shut down the AC it got so hot. It gets real close to the "Red" range.

I checked the antifreeze and replaced the thermostat. What's next?

Y2Kvert4me
08-07-2011, 11:39am
With that description, check fan operation.

If temps are ok when moving, the radiator is getting airflow through it. The fans create that airflow when car is not moving.

With coolant temp over 185° and a/c on, the low speed fans should be ON. With a/c off, the fans won't run until 226° (assuming stock tune).

In all but extreme conditions, the low speed fans should be adequate to control coolant temp. Hi speed fan operation doesn't come on until 235°

edcmat-l1
08-08-2011, 8:30am
^^^^Yep........

Prosecutor
08-12-2011, 8:41pm
When you say "I checked the anti-freeze,"I assume that means that your coolant level is fine. That suggests that you do not have a leak. If it only gets hot in traffic, I suspect something related to the fans. You might also check to see if there is an obstruction of some kind.

I had a similar issue not too long ago and found that my radiator and air conditioning condenser had become so clogged with debris that the system just could not work.

What temperatures are you seeing? As mentioned above, high-speed fans do not kick in until the temperature exceeds 230+ degrees.

73sbVert
08-12-2011, 9:50pm
I've used Water Wetter in the past with great success. Makes the heat transfer much more efficient.

Don't know if they make a compatible formula for the new coolant though.

Tulsa Vette Guy
08-13-2011, 6:34pm
I've used Water Wetter in the past with great success. Makes the heat transfer much more efficient.

Don't know if they make a compatible formula for the new coolant though.

Is good to hold down a few temps, but it not a cure all.

simpleman68
08-17-2011, 11:59am
When you say "I checked the anti-freeze,"I assume that means that your coolant level is fine. That suggests that you do not have a leak. If it only gets hot in traffic, I suspect something related to the fans. You might also check to see if there is an obstruction of some kind.

I had a similar issue not too long ago and found that my radiator and air conditioning condenser had become so clogged with debris that the system just could not work.

What temperatures are you seeing? As mentioned above, high-speed fans do not kick in until the temperature exceeds 230+ degrees.

:iagree: You wouldn't believe the amount of sheit that gets sucked up from under these cars. First time I removed my Vararam, it looked like the holding tank of a street sweeper. :lol:
Also good to feel for cold spots on the radiator when you can touch it to check for blockage.
Scott

Marmaduke
05-18-2013, 1:33pm
Anyone ever have temp problems? Mine gets hot in traffic. Had to shut down the AC it got so hot. It gets real close to the "Red" range.

Yep, had the same problem for a long time. . . . . then during my latest engine SWAP project I replaced the stock radiator with a "Ron Davis Dual Core Aluminum Radiator" and my problem went away. Now, that being said it could also be something a simple as cleaning your radiator, e.g., check to see if there is any trash or leafs hitching a ride in the lower part of your radiator. That could cause over heating as well (and it doesn’t cost anything to fix it, LOL). A lot of time overheating is cause by restricted air flow into the engine compartment. It’s hard to say what the cause might be, so you’ll have to do some detective work to see what might be causing any reduction of airflow (if that’s the cause of your overheating).

C. Davis (AKA: Marmaduke)
Madison (Huntsville Area) Alabama

Marmaduke
09-14-2013, 7:23pm

Yep, had the same problem for years. Then last March when I did my engine swap I replaced the stock radiator with a “Rod Davis” Dual Core Radiator. . . problem solved (not cheap, but no overheating anymore). DeWitt makes a good Radiator as well. . . . comes down to personal choice I guess.