PDA

View Full Version : Sway bar replacement

1TZSLO
02-17-2010, 11:48pm
Anyone know of a good guide for doing this. I know it is kinda straight forward but I am sure there is some torque spec they need for certain bolts upper and lower bolts on the rear I believe. Since I will be doing this myself any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cobra4B
02-18-2010, 9:49am
LS1Howto.com C5 Stabilizer Bar Swap (http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=16)

I just put Z06 bars on my vert a few weeks back and I've had the bars on/off my Z06 numerous times... it's a very easy job. If you're mechanically inclined you can have it all done in about 20-30 minutes.

A few tips:

1. You don't need to get a torque wrench on the end links... you really can't because you have to use an allen wrench to hold the stud and a gear wrench to tighten the nut. Just get them really tight. The how-to mentions that once they're good n' tight you may be able to put a deepwell on the nut and have it stay in place from the friction but I've never bothered and never had an issue.

2. Do not cross-thread the bolt that holds the rear bar to the rear suspension cradle. Make sure you have the bracket lined up properly and get the bolt started correctly.

3. Apply some lithium grease or teflon grease to the swaybar bushings for quiet operation especially if they're poly. If you do get poly you will need to unbolt the bars from the cradles and re-grease about once a year as they will start to squeek as the grease goes away... zero need for poly on a street car, but many people believe they're "way better" w/o understanding how a swaybar works and what the bushings are actually doing. I have a full poly bushing kit on my Z06... swaybars and all control arms.

4. Make sure you torque the nut and bolt on the rear cradle to spec... one is 50 ft/lbs and the other is 70 ft/lbs... LS1howto explains it in detail. One of them holds the lower control arm in place so if it's not torued to spec you can get some clanking in the rear.

HTH,

Brian

1TZSLO
02-18-2010, 11:49am
Good tips. Thanks

Vet4jdc
02-18-2010, 1:27pm
I'm not all that mechanically inclined and I swapped out my sway bars myself! :yesnod::yesnod:

1TZSLO
02-18-2010, 1:56pm
I'm not all that mechanically inclined and I swapped out my sway bars myself! :yesnod::yesnod:

I will be doing so This sat at Oceana hobby Shop, since I live in an apartment.

1TZSLO
02-18-2010, 5:45pm
I am sure everyone knows how to install these but I will be taking pics of my install just because I want to document things I have done to the car.

Sneaks
02-19-2010, 8:09am
I am sure everyone knows how to install these but I will be taking pics of my install just because I want to document things I have done to the car.

Good idea, not everyone knows how to do sway bars and stuff. That's why folks come here, for advice, and help. :thumbs:
I shoulda doen a write up when I did mine at Shags mancave. :leaving:

Cobra4B
02-19-2010, 12:18pm
No offense, but the write-up on ls1howto is comprehensive... take pics but no reason to do another "how-to".

1TZSLO
02-19-2010, 12:26pm
No offense, but the write-up on ls1howto is comprehensive... take pics but no reason to do another "how-to".

Wasn't really gonna be a How to but more of Hey I put new **** on my car.