PDA

View Full Version : Where to put the MAF?

Munch
02-11-2010, 5:26pm
I have a Vararam and the MAF is before the air bridge. Wondering if there is any advantage or disadvantage to having the MAF before or after the air bridge.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff68/Dr_Munch/coupler.jpg

Sneaks
02-11-2010, 8:54pm
The only advantage I can see to moving the MAF closer to the throttle body(after the air bridge) is that it would give the air coming in a little more time to cool down before it hits the MAF. The cooler the air hitting the MAF, the more air it thinks it's getting, so it sends the signal to the computer for more fuel.
That's just my thoughts on it Munch. I'm interested to hear from the experts on this one too.
:thumbs:

Peter Pan
02-12-2010, 10:29am
When I first went FI we moved mine closer to the throttle body for the above reason, now that I am SD no issue anymorehttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/elsloan22/emotions/Thumbsup-1.jpg

Y2Kvert4me
02-12-2010, 4:11pm
The only advantage I can see to moving the MAF closer to the throttle body(after the air bridge) is that it would give the air coming in a little more time to cool down before it hits the MAF. The cooler the air hitting the MAF, the more air it thinks it's getting, so it sends the signal to the computer for more fuel.
That's just my thoughts on it Munch. I'm interested to hear from the experts on this one too.
:thumbs:I don't think heat has anything to do with it. There is probably very slight (if any) difference in IAT before and after the airbridge. Plus, one would expect to see warmer temps closer to the engine.

I believe the change is more due to airflow path. If you study most C5 intake filter setups, in most cases there is a bend, sometimes a real sharp bend in the airflow path just prior to it entering the MAF. This inherently causes some flow turbulence in the tract, and the MAF can't read things as accurately. This is precisely why that screen is on the front of the MAF...to "straighten" the airflow, and allow the MAF to report more accurately.
Moving the MAF to behind the airbridge will have much the same effect - where the airflow entering the MAF is pretty much flowing straight already. With a screenless MAF (used on 02-04 Z06s), this may make more of a difference. But with a screened MAF, I doubt there is any real benefit to be had in either location.

I could be wrong too, just my guess at it.

:cheers:

Eagleeye
02-12-2010, 6:00pm
Just completed the same install and had the same question...spent abt. three hours researching tech notes and forums...bottom line for me was ----LEAVE IN IN THE DESIGNED LOWER POSITION ON LS 6. For others such s LS1 and 7 there may ? be a slight advantage to relocate.

Y2Kvert4me
02-12-2010, 6:09pm
----LEAVE IN IN THE DESIGNED LOWER POSITION ON LS 6. For others such s LS1 and 7 there may ? be a slight advantage to relocate.And I suggested the exact opposite. :D

The screenless LS6 MAF will probably benefit more from the relocation than the screened versions will.

I would not relocate without tuning, or at least the ability to scan/log things though. The MAF is quite sensitive to physical changes such as descreening or relocation, and it's calibration is a very important part of how the PCM fuels the engine.

:cheers:

Garb55
02-12-2010, 8:18pm
So Munch what do you think you will do?

Munch
02-12-2010, 8:51pm
I'm just gonna leave it where it is. I was wondering because my airbridge sits a little higher and further back than the stock location and doesn't line up with those little retaining pins but it's not a huge deal.

I lied, it bugs me and I want the airbridge to hook on those little pins.

Shagster
02-12-2010, 8:59pm
Mine is in the same spot...No prob. so far.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/647/img07850130042.jpg