PDA

View Full Version : Business Owners: Any good books I should read?

ConstantChange
07-22-2011, 9:14pm
For you guys that started/own your own business, do you have any books you recommend to someone wanting to do the same?

I'm interested in all kinds. Whether it deals with hard numbers and finance, business theory, success stories, motivation, etc...

NB2K
07-22-2011, 9:18pm
Harvey Mackay.

Business Motivational Speaker & Inspirational Quotes - Harvey Mackay (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.harveymackay.com%2F&ei=6i4qTtiiFMugtwfG6L3XAg&usg=AFQjCNERMoDe9ucVagTXyxJFmbZzNomFdw)

Most everything else is bunch of horseshit.

If you don't like to or can't sell, don't start your own business.

Good luck.:cheers:

Blademaker
07-22-2011, 9:19pm
I was too busy at my business busting my ass to read much of anything.

But one book that I did read was "The millionaire next door"

Made sense

Good luck :cheers:

MattW
07-22-2011, 9:19pm
"Built to Last"

LATB
07-22-2011, 9:21pm

Made sense

Good luck :cheers:

I was gonna mention that as well...

good read on money & wealth :cheers:

ConstantChange
07-22-2011, 9:23pm

I read that once several years ago. I'll have to see if I still have it and read it again.

LATB
07-22-2011, 9:26pm
I read that once several years ago. I'll have to see if I still have it and read it again.

do it!

I read it when things were booming...

and reread it recently...

makes even more sense now. :cheers:

ConstantChange
07-22-2011, 9:28pm
do it!

Just got the ebook. I'll do it. :cheers:

repo
07-22-2011, 9:40pm
One of the few "gifts" I have. Numbers, and business sense are just natural for me. But I believe anyone can read and learn.

I see some people run businesses that I come across, from my locksmith to my mechanic and I just shake my head.:shots:

LATB
07-22-2011, 9:43pm
One of the few "gifts" I have. Numbers, and business sense are just natural for me. But I believe anyone can read and learn.

I see some people run businesses that I come across, from my locksmith to my mechanic and I just shake my head.:shots:

well...get yo azz down here and lets make some money :cheers:

NB2K
07-22-2011, 9:45pm

Me, too.

Weird, huh?

ConstantChange
07-22-2011, 9:55pm

I honestly feel the same way. Business theory/logic just makes sense to me. I graduated with distinction while getting my B.B.A. degree. I got the highest grade in the class in Accounting I, Accounting II, Statistics, and Finance.

None of that means shit because I can't figure out what I want to do as far as a business idea. I'm spinning my wheels. I feel like once I determine what it is I'm going to do, I can make it happen. My problem is I over analyze things X 1,000. I'm also afraid to fail. I keep hearing those "what if's" in the back on my mind.

DAB
07-22-2011, 10:02pm
Find something you are good at, that you enjoy, and that others can't or won't do themselves.

LATB
07-22-2011, 10:04pm
Find something you are good at, that you enjoy, and that others can't or won't do themselves.

:yesnod:

"It's funny how the money comes when you're doin' something you love"
Welcome to the Jim Morris Website (http://www.jim-morris.com)

Uncle Pervey
07-22-2011, 10:15pm
Amazon.com: The Science of Success: How Market-Based Management Built the World's Largest Private Company (9780470139882): Charles G. Koch: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518cYbqVe8L.@@AMEPARAM@@518cYbqVe8L
Quite a good read and pretty damned eye-opening. :yesnod:

SnikPlosskin
07-22-2011, 10:21pm
The e-myth revisited

The 22 immutable laws of marketing

You can't teach a kid to ride a bike at a seminar (sales, by David Sandler)

Good to great

My blog

NB2K
07-23-2011, 8:21am
Amazon.com: The Science of Success: How Market-Based Management Built the World's Largest Private Company (9780470139882): Charles G. Koch: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Science-Success-Market-Based-Management-Largest/dp/0470139889)
Quite a good read and pretty damned eye-opening. :yesnod:

ordered, thanks.

repo
07-23-2011, 8:29am
I honestly feel the same way. Business theory/logic just makes sense to me. I graduated with distinction while getting my B.B.A. degree. I got the highest grade in the class in Accounting I, Accounting II, Statistics, and Finance.

None of that means shit because I can't figure out what I want to do as far as a business idea. I'm spinning my wheels. I feel like once I determine what it is I'm going to do, I can make it happen. My problem is I over analyze things X 1,000. I'm also afraid to fail. I keep hearing those "what if's" in the back on my mind.

My accounting Professor told me " this is the last day you can with draw and get all your money back" in front of the whole class. I got up and left. Great with math, hated accounting.

< everyone in America on> I want to sell something on the internet for a living. < everyone in America off>

Afraid to fail? Better get a job then. Most millionaires, (other than Lars), went BK a couple of times before hitting it right.

And to me the "what if's", would bother me more if I didn't try, then if I tried and failed.

That's why I started my business. I didnt want to be old and wonder "what if". However, I knew what I liked and what I was good at.

repo
07-23-2011, 8:30am
:yesnod:

"It's funny how the money comes when you're doin' something you love"
Welcome to the Jim Morris Website (http://www.jim-morris.com)

Only true to a certain degree.:shots:

DAB
07-23-2011, 8:35am
Just getting my woodshop up and running. Working on project one presently.

Will it succeed? Time and talent will tell.

GRN ENVY
07-23-2011, 8:36am

Business book are great for foundations and understanding principles. You should extend your readings to entreprenuer books. One book I recommend, is an high school text book called " Entreprenuership Owning your future" There are a few reasons why I say read this book:

1. I am in it for starting a business while in highschool, its based off an article that was written about me on how I used basic business, and entreprenuerial principles to create a sucessful business

2. The book has a wide range of information that is praticle in the real world. It may help you jump start the brain storming process for a business concept.

But if I were to give you advice for starting a busienss, base it off the digital age. I.E. an online business, unless you are starting a service type business then you will want to read the spred in the textbook about me.

NB2K
07-23-2011, 8:56am
Books, degrees; they're all great. (shrugs)

Best get some practical experience from somewhere.

Find people that own their own successful business and work for them for awhile. See what it's really like...

Understand this:
Just because you know how to make widgets doesn't mean you know how to run a business that makes widgets.

LATB
07-23-2011, 8:58am
My accounting Professor told me " this is the last day you can with draw and get all your money back" in front of the whole class. I got up and left. Great with math, hated accounting.

< everyone in America on> I want to sell something on the internet for a living. < everyone in America off>

Afraid to fail? Better get a job then. Most millionaires, (other than Lars), went BK a couple of times before hitting it right.

And to me the "what if's", would bother me more if I didn't try, then if I tried and failed.

That's why I started my business. I didnt want to be old and wonder "what if". However, I knew what I liked and what I was good at.

I am ultra conservative when it comes to business...never filed or been in BK. But I can say this:

The quickest way to amass a small fortune...is to start out with a large fortune. (cliche', I know...but true)

The past 4/5 years have not been kind to my nest egg. :sadangel:

LATB
07-23-2011, 9:03am

Find people that own their own successful business and work for them for awhile. See what it's really like...

Understand this:
Just because you know how to make widgets doesn't mean you know how to run a business that makes widgets.

PERFECT POST! :yesnod:

and...to the bold:
I have folks all the time say "but my brother-in-law built his home for XXX and I can do this and that..."

to which I reply:
"Almost anyone can build a house...
many can build it right...
some can do it in a timely manner and within a budget...
but...
Very few can do it as a business and make a living at it"

GRN ENVY
07-23-2011, 9:07am

Understand this:

PERFECT POST! :yesnod:

and...to the bold:
I have folks all the time say "but my brother-in-law built his home for XXX and I can do this and that..."

to which I reply:
"Almost anyone can build a house...
many can build it right...
some can do it in a timely manner and within a budget...
but...
Very few can do it as a business and make a living at it"

:iagree:

mrvette
07-23-2011, 9:15am

Man, you ain't shittin' either if your experiences is maybe 10x mine.....

and our thought line up with my wife's experiences as a book keeper for many small businesses.......IN SPADES, you got NO idea....

literally without Linda and me on occasion there is two of them that would not be IN business today....

and one of them has been doodling along for years with NO CLUE as to WTF was going on in the BUX department....

:dance::sadangel::seeya::leaving:

NB2K
07-23-2011, 9:18am
The day I need a bookkeeper or an accountant to let me know whether I am making money or not is the day I'll shut the thing down.

mrvette
07-23-2011, 9:26am

Stealing cars.....:rofl::lol::cheers:

Allan
07-23-2011, 10:08am

I got the highest grade in the class in Accounting I, Accounting II, Statistics, and Finance.

Think . . . bookie.

repo
07-23-2011, 11:11am
The day I need a bookkeeper or an accountant to let me know whether I am making money or not is the day I'll shut the thing down.

Exactly. In 10 minutes of a day I could look at 3 or 4 different things and see red or black.