PDA

View Full Version : My A/C Just STB, And I Got Stung By A Wasp

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 5:35pm
A great way to start out my vacation......I go outside to beat on the a/c fan, after finding it buzzing, but not moving, and two hits later, I'm getting stung on the wrist....I'm allergic to the little bastards, so I taped a penny on the sting, and I'm waiting to see what happens...I don't know if the warm fuzzy feeling is from the 2nd Bacardi & Coke, or the sting....It looks like there's a nest in the fan unit, so I'm sending the wife for some wasp spray, and I'll go from there......What PITA !!!!

LATB
07-22-2011, 5:36pm
A great way to start out my vacation......I go outside to beat on the a/c fan, after finding it buzzing, but not moving, and two hits later, I'm getting stung on the wrist....I'm allergic to the little bastards, so I taped a penny on the sting, and I'm waiting to see what happens...I don't know if the warm fuzzy feeling is from the 2nd Bacardi & Coke, or the sting....It looks like there's a nest in the fan unit, so I'm sending the wife for some wasp spray, and I'll go from there......What PITA !!!!

Obviously...

You are not gonna be needing that pretty wife of yours this weekend...

you being laid up in traction and all :lol:

Uncle Pervey
07-22-2011, 5:37pm
Take some benedryl, immediately. It will keep you from gassing off until the ambulance gets there. That's of course if you wife bothers to call 911 when she finds your swollen gasping carcass! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Rob
07-22-2011, 5:38pm
rub some dirt on it nancy :D

Munch
07-22-2011, 5:40pm
Taping a penny to it is an old wives tale, what you need is to rub butter on it and then cover with a cabbage leaf.

You're welcome.

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 5:45pm
Take some benedryl, immediately. It will keep you from gassing off until the ambulance gets there. That's of course if you wife bothers to call 911 when she finds your swollen gasping carcass! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

rub some dirt on it nancy :D

I have an epi pen just in case....I'm trying the penny, for the first time ever....Some swear by it...

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/jeff79/DSC03064.jpg

Uncle Pervey
07-22-2011, 5:46pm
An actually effective measure for pain relief is gets some Arm and Hammer baking soda, and household ammonia. Make a paste out of it and smear it on the sting. It will relieve the pain.
Also a glob of well chewed chewing tobacco or snuff will do the job too.
Of course there is also meat tenderizer and water, make a paste and put it on the sting. Just about any really strong base will neutralize the acid that is in the sting.
But since he's allergic to the stings, he's probably going to be dead before he reads this! :rofl:

LATB
07-22-2011, 5:49pm
If you squeeze your testicles in a bench vise...

you will forget all about the wasp sting.

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 5:49pm
I can go a good 8 hours, before bad things happen, like, throat swelling, and sever body numbness....I have it down to a science, to where I can enjoy the buzz, and fix the problem with more than enough time, so it's not life threatening......See....HS, and college taught me something.....:D

Rob
07-22-2011, 5:51pm
If you want to take precaution, take a benedryl. :yesnod:

That is what I did when I got stung by a scorpion while in the jungle. Damn thing was in my bag and when I reached in...mofo popped me. Dr said that may have been what saved me. I always keep that with me at all times because you never know what may get you.

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 5:56pm
If you want to take precaution, take a benedryl. :yesnod:

That is what I did when I got stung by a scorpion while in the jungle. Damn thing was in my bag and when I reached in...mofo popped me. Dr said that may have been what saved me. I always keep that with me at all times because you never know what may get you.

Ya, my wife swears by it too......I'm just gonna enjoy the numbing buzz for a while....Then I'll dose. Actually I'll wait until she gets back with the wasp spray....I'll prolly get whacked again at this rate...

Barn Babe
07-22-2011, 5:59pm
Sounds like you're having a Barn Babe day! :hi:

neece
07-22-2011, 6:05pm
I've been stung five times this month by red wasps. Got bit yesterday on my upper left thigh by a yellow jacket.....mofo drew blood. Got stung by something this morning while biking. It ricocheted off my arm and stung my upper right thigh. I continued running and biking cuz I'm tough like that.:D

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 6:06pm

:hurray: Bacardi & Cokes, and a Wasp sting ! If that's what you're into...:hurray:

Rob
07-22-2011, 6:08pm
I've been stung five times this month by red wasps. Got bit yesterday on my upper left thigh by a yellow jacket.....mofo drew blood. Got stung by something this morning while biking. It ricocheted off my arm and stung my upper right thigh. I continued running and biking cuz I'm tough like that.:D

pics?

sorry OP :D

Ol Timer
07-22-2011, 6:08pm
Brought Mrs. home last night after out-patient surgery on her shoulder. AC was out, fan not kicking on, so I called our trusty HVAC mechanical guy who came out at 10:30 pm. Bad capacitor in the fan $7.50 for a new part, $190 service call and labor. Worth every penny. Speaking of pennies, Pervy is right, the baking soda poltice works.

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 6:10pm
pics?

No problem....

Pics...???...:D

xXBUDXx
07-22-2011, 6:13pm

pics?

See, this is the important part of this thread.

Jeff got stung, he didn't run over his A/C unit with the truck. :leaving:

Loves ya, BB :D

neece
07-22-2011, 6:37pm
pics?

I only have the yellow jacket bite....a while later. I also have been stung on the tip of my index finger changing an outdoor light, my upper, upper inner thigh (flew up my shorts), my belly twice, and now my thigh today. Although today's bite wasn't as severe, it looks like a little pin prick with redness about an inch in diameter. That yellow jacket hurt like hell, but I had to keep running cuz they are so territorial and will keep lighting your azz up!

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww123/neecerugg/6f750699.jpg

Z06David
07-22-2011, 6:37pm
probably the capacitor took a shit

Rob
07-22-2011, 6:39pm
I only have the yellow jacket bite....a while later. I also have been stung on the tip of my index finger changing an outdoor light, my upper, upper inner thigh (flew up my shorts), my belly twice, and now my thigh today. Although today's bite wasn't as severe, it looks like a little pin prick with redness about an inch in diameter. That yellow jacket hurt like hell, but I had to keep running cuz they are so territorial and will keep lighting your azz up!

you are a good sport.

:cheers:

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 6:39pm

I feel better now after seeing your story....Holy crap ! You are a moving target !

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 6:40pm
probably the capacitor took a shit

Can I fix that ? Where is it located, and where do I get that part ???

neece
07-22-2011, 6:48pm
I feel better now after seeing your story....Holy crap ! You are a moving target !

Must be the year of the wasps or something. I am good for at least one yj bite a year, but I don't think I have been stung this many times in my life combined. Good thing I'm not allergic!:hurray:

lspencer534
07-22-2011, 7:01pm
OP, I've got some bad news for you. You say you have 8 hours before the bad shit happens. Uh....that time will begin to shorten at some point. And it will shorten dramatically, until you don't have enough time to get to the ER. If you're developing welts, have a rapid heart beat or fast breathing, or itching to where you want to scratch down to the bone, use that epinephrine now. Followed by about 100 mg. of Benadryl to bring you down.

If you want a rush, use the epi IV, and enjoy the fireworks.

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 7:23pm
OP, I've got some bad news for you. You say you have 8 hours before the bad shit happens. Uh....that time will begin to shorten at some point. And it will shorten dramatically, until you don't have enough time to get to the ER. If you're developing welts, have a rapid heart beat or fast breathing, or itching to where you want to scratch down to the bone, use that epinephrine now. Followed by about 100 mg. of Benadryl to bring you down.

If you want a rush, use the epi IV, and enjoy the fireworks.

I'm fixing the damn a/c first......

lspencer534
07-22-2011, 7:50pm
I'm fixing the damn a/c first......

You want your widow to stay cool, eh?

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 7:52pm
Looks like the motor was frozen up...I sprayed some penetrating oil in, and then some wire dry.....The fan is now free as a bird, and ran slowly for a while, and now won't start at all.....Oh well.....Looks like a new AO Smith 691 fan motor is in order....Where the hell am I gonna get one of those on Saturday ?

xXBUDXx
07-22-2011, 7:52pm

I'm sure you can find plenty of volunteers to suck out the poison. :D

CertInsaneC5
07-22-2011, 7:57pm
You want your widow to stay cool, eh?

Or perhaps her posting to cover her tracks. Just saying.... :leaving:

Omega Man
07-22-2011, 8:04pm

Holy mother of Fuk!! Do you believe in voo doo shit? :skep: You are going to fuking die believing shit like that!!

JRD77VET
07-22-2011, 8:07pm
Holy mother of Fuk!! Do you believe in voo doo shit? :skep: You are going to fuking die believing shit like that!!

Omega Man makes an extremely valid point :yesnod:

If that doesn't work, do you drag a headless snake backwards through your back yard? :crazy:

Omega Man
07-22-2011, 8:08pm

No shit?

I feel sorry for you for all those stings. :sadangel: I am allergic to them and when they get me, I swell up like a fat kid in wonka's chocolate river.......BUT, I am willing to hold an ice cube in my mouth and rub it on your bites if it would help. :D:beer:

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 8:11pm

So far so good....I took the penny off and covered it with some Arbonne mask, and washed it off after 15 minutes.....I'm just sweating a bit, but that's from not having any frigging a/c !...
.My buddy just happens to have a 3 ton unit at his shop that he'll give me for $500.00, and put in , prolly , for another $200.00...:beer:.A $175.00 fan, vs. a $700.00 new unit, which I'll need soon anyway, sounds like the plan....It's good to have friends in the business...Unfortunately, I'm gonna sweat my nads off tonight...

I'm not tingling at all, so the remedies must have worked....I'll keep ya posted.

78SA
07-22-2011, 8:47pm
Looks like the motor was frozen up...I sprayed some penetrating oil in, and then some wire dry.....The fan is now free as a bird, and ran slowly for a while, and now won't start at all.....Oh well.....Looks like a new AO Smith 691 fan motor is in order....Where the hell am I gonna get one of those on Saturday ?

Try the neighbors house. :leaving:

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 8:50pm
Try the neighbors house. :leaving:

:rofl:....There's too many gun and dog lovers around my hood...NFW....:rofl:

NeedSpeed
07-22-2011, 8:56pm
It could be the cap, maybe $5-10. If it's the fan, maybe $80-$100.

Now, if you need your air rigged temporarily, Take the fan off and take a water hose on mist and spray it down and leave it on mist, it'll work fine. It's just a big radiator and needs to be cooled. If anything you can also throw a box fan in it's place, kinda rigged of course. It works pretty damn good. So good in fact, I've tried to dream up a water recovery system instead of the fan or in assistance to it.

Yep, my fan broke and I've had it rigged that way for awhile. :leaving:

Uncle Pervey
07-22-2011, 8:57pm
If you don't mind a mess and a lot of mud around the unit, you can sit a little lawn sprinkler on top of the unit and turn it on. Adjust the water until it hits the coils.
Better yet pull the motor and fan out of the unit, tape off the power leads and sit the little sprinkler down inside the coils.
IF you don't want the mud and mess, another thing you can do is get a cheap box fan and lay it on top of the unit, blowing down into the unit! Don't set it up to pull through the unit if you do you'll melt the damned plastic blades.

I have done both of these things and they do work, they won't be as effective as the real fan, but it will serve in a pinch and ought to get you through the night. :yesnod:

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 8:58pm

Now, if you need your air rigged temporarily, Take the fan off and take a water hose on mist and spray it down and leave it on mist, it'll work fine. It's just a big radiator and needs to be cooled. If anything you can also throw a box fan in it's place, kinda rigged of course. It works pretty damn good. So good in fact, I've tried to dream up a water recovery system instead of the fan or in assistance to it.

WOW !!! Great idea !!....I'll let you know how that works out...:cheers:

NeedSpeed
07-22-2011, 9:01pm
Yep, my grass is growing good over there. :D

It won't melt the fans though, I used two for awhile, but the water is the only thing important.

My water bill went up a bit though :lol:

Uncle Pervey
07-22-2011, 9:01pm

If I remember correctly, I was the one that suggested that to you a couple of years ago! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

NeedSpeed
07-22-2011, 9:03pm
If I remember correctly, I was the one that suggested that to you a couple of years ago! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes, and I've been perfecting it. :leaving:

Got a motor coming though :cheers:

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 9:13pm

Yes, and I've been perfecting it. :leaving:

Got a motor coming though :cheers:

A couple of years ago ?????....:rofl:

Well, the old box fan is jamming, so let's see if this joint cools down....:dance:

NeedSpeed
07-22-2011, 9:24pm
Actually, it started mid last season. This season started off good but now we in crazy heat, but it's holding up. Unfortunately my electric/water bills are now more than the cost to fix it :lol:

I had two box fans and water on it for a long time and worked good (I'd only use the water to get the initial cool down). My fans died over time and now it's just water. Well, the water is working just as good by itself without the fans so I figured I wasted a lot of electricity. :lol:

But if you have to, spray the whole unit down with water at night and leave it misting on as much area as you can, doesn't have to be on high, just coating it. The water pulls a lot of heat off. It'll get you by for sure. It may work with the unit in tact, not sure, but it's not hard to pull the fan off, just a few screws.

Jeff '79
07-22-2011, 9:25pm
It's Working !! Need Speed Be Da Man !!!

The old box fan trick is working like a charm !....Noice !!:hurray::hurray::cheers:

NeedSpeed
07-22-2011, 9:27pm
:cheers: Props to perv as well :lol: