PDA

View Full Version : Captain America

BuckyThreadkiller
07-22-2011, 4:48pm
Is worth the trouble.

His politically correct team of Hogan's Heroes is a little PC but the storyline does a good job of merging the comic into "reality" and explaining the goofy costume.

As usual with Marvel films stay till the bitter end after 10 minutes of credits for the nod to the Avengers flick coming next year.

78SA
07-22-2011, 4:53pm
:dance::hurray:

Munch
07-22-2011, 4:54pm
Did you see it in 3D?

BuckyThreadkiller
07-22-2011, 4:56pm
Did you see it in 3D?

Yeah - But I don't know that 3D buys a lot on this film. There are some explosions and some motorcycle jumps that it pays off on, but overall its really about the story.

Tommy Lee Jones plays a great Col. Tommy Lee Jones.

clutchdust
07-22-2011, 5:45pm
Actually one of the few comic heroes turned movie script that I'm vaguely interested in. That said, I'll probably still wait for Netflix. Do they do a typical Hollywierd job of gheying it up, making it all "international" like they did with that bag of crap G.I.Joe?

BuckyThreadkiller
07-22-2011, 5:57pm
Actually one of the few comic heroes turned movie script that I'm vaguely interested in. That said, I'll probably still wait for Netflix. Do they do a typical Hollywierd job of gheying it up, making it all "international" like they did with that bag of crap G.I.Joe?

No, its very all-American with the exception of the MI-6 chick from British Intelligence. With her looks she could be from Jupiter and nobody would care.

This flick is light years better than GI Joe. Its up there with Iron Man, Maybe not as good as the Dark Knight but still very good.

They've done a few little things that the true comic fanboys will catch - his team is kind of stolen from Nick Fury's Howlin' Commandos and I didn't think Red Skull was head of HYDRA but another organization, but it all works well together.

onedef92
07-22-2011, 6:09pm
The critical reviews I've heard to date give it four stars on up. Sounds like a solid joint for once.

carlton_fritz
07-22-2011, 7:27pm
No, its very all-American with the exception of the MI-6 chick from British Intelligence. With her looks she could be from Jupiter and nobody would care.

This flick is light years better than GI Joe. Its up there with Iron Man, Maybe not as good as the Dark Knight but still very good.

They've done a few little things that the true comic fanboys will catch - his team is kind of stolen from Nick Fury's Howlin' Commandos and I didn't think Red Skull was head of HYDRA but another organization, but it all works well together.
The Dark Knight was great, the first time. After that it's only good when The Joker is onscreen. Ironman is more enjoyable watched over and over.

snide
07-22-2011, 7:50pm
Tommy Lee Jones plays a great Col. Tommy Lee Jones.

That's odd...

C5Nate
07-22-2011, 8:01pm
Couple guys here at work said the plot is set back in the '40's. Good plot, good action but Chris Evans didnt fit the part.

Hayley Atwell and Tommy Lee did a great job in their parts. They also said it was one of Tommy Lee's best parts.

Heyley was good eye candy.

ApexOversteer
07-22-2011, 8:19pm
Couple guys here at work said the plot is set back in the '40's. Good plot, good action but Chris Evans didnt fit the part.

***MINOR SPOILERS BELOW FOR CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE AVENGERS***

I disagree completely with this assessment. Evans is definitely known for a certain type of character; wisecracking cocksure pretty boys. One could be forgiven for expecting the film makers to "Tony Stark"-up the character a bit, using Evans' natural edginess to make Cap more sardonic and "hipster" like Robert Downey Jr's performance. But they didn't.

Thing is, Evans knew that Steve Rogers/Captain America is not Tony Stark and he accepted the project with the idea of playing the character as he has always been, Marvel's answer to DC's Big Blue Boyscout and SGT. Rock rolled into one patriotic, unwaveringly do-gooding, yet ass-whooping super-soldier.

Evans nails the part, becoming Steve Rogers/Cap, every bit as much as Downey Jr is now Tony Stark/Iron Man. Part of why Evans is so good as Cap is how different he is to Downey Jr's Stark. I CANNOT WAIT to see these two men, the spoiled billionaire orphan and the spoiled billionaire orphan's father's favorite project diametrically opposed to each other, yet on the same team.

This relationship will be central in the greater Marvel Cineverse, as both Downey Jr and Evans are signed to play their characters at least 4 more times each (At least one more Iron Man, one more Captain America and three Avengers movies in total.) over the next decade.

BuckyThreadkiller
07-22-2011, 9:22pm
I thought Evans nailed it as well.
I had reservations going in kinda expecting Johnny Storm but he did the franchise proud. He's earnest when he could be wooden, he's straight laced when he could be cynical and he really delivers the Captain America I always thought the character should be.

stingraymyway
07-22-2011, 9:27pm
Saw the movie today........Awesome!! :dance:

Giraffe (He/Him)
07-22-2011, 9:46pm
http://nwhog.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/captain_america.png
The REAL Captain.

ApexOversteer
07-22-2011, 10:11pm
I thought Evans nailed it as well.
I had reservations going in kinda expecting Johnny Storm but he did the franchise proud. He's earnest when he could be wooden, he's straight laced when he could be cynical and he really delivers the Captain America I always thought the character should be.

Yeah, the whole Johnny Storm/Captain America thing makes a Fantastic Four/Avengers crossover kinda hard... unless they went with a storyline that took place after Johnny had died and Spidey took his place in The Four...