PDA

View Full Version : UD, Skiatard and car salesholes: question

clutchdust
07-22-2011, 11:10am
Seriously, do those radio and TV ads that shout at people really work? There are a couple dealerships here in town that always run these ads on the radio and TV where the announcer sounds like hes grunting through a 5 pound turd. He's always yelling "STOP! Drop what you're doing and come on down right now! No credit application refused!!!" ****tard. I can't change the station fast enough when these commercials come on. Fkn hate them, but apparently they work on some people.
<sarcasm>Ironically,</sarcasm>, I never hear the up scale dealers like Cadillac, Audi or BMW running these obnoxious commercials.

Cybercowboy
07-22-2011, 11:13am
Does anybody stop because they see one of these?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3145/3025039187_172887e577.jpg

Montehall
07-22-2011, 11:16am

Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm-Flailing Tubeman

I do stop for giant inflatable gorilla's though.

repo
07-22-2011, 11:19am
Seriously, do those radio and TV ads that shout at people really work? There are a couple dealerships here in town that always run these ads on the radio and TV where the announcer sounds like hes grunting through a 5 pound turd. He's always yelling "STOP! Drop what you're doing and come on down right now! No credit application refused!!!" ****tard. I can't change the station fast enough when these commercials come on. Fkn hate them, but apparently they work on some people.
<sarcasm>Ironically,</sarcasm>, I never hear the up scale dealers like Cadillac, Audi or BMW running these obnoxious commercials.

It must work, as they have been doing it for years.....

BuckyThreadkiller
07-22-2011, 11:25am
Actually they do.

And some dealerships track that crap to no end. I had a dealer client who swore he had more traffic on days when he advertised free hot dogs and cokes, and more ups when they ran hard sell spots. He knew what pulled in the newspaper and on TV.

MrPeabody
07-22-2011, 11:40am
It must work, as they have been doing it for years.....

Actually they do.

And some dealerships track that crap to no end. I had a dealer client who swore he had more traffic on days when he advertised free hot dogs and cokes, and more ups when they ran hard sell spots. He knew what pulled in the newspaper and on TV.

They wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't work.

clutchdust
07-22-2011, 11:42am
Actually they do.

Is that just a comment on how pathetic the lower base of our society is? Am I just unusual, meaning how much this irritates me? Do any of you get so annoyed with how obnoxious these are that you turn it off too?

Skia
07-22-2011, 11:57am
I have nothing to add to this thread. :leaving:

LATB
07-22-2011, 12:03pm

then how do you explain the congress? :D

MrPeabody
07-22-2011, 12:05pm
then how do you explain the congress? :D

Thread is about car sales and advertising. Stop trying to turn every thread into PR&C.:D

LATB
07-22-2011, 12:07pm
Thread is about car sales and advertising. Stop trying to turn every thread into PR&C.:D

but aren't car salesmen basically politicians and preachers. And wouldn't that point be controversial? :D

jaxgator
07-22-2011, 12:08pm
Is that just a comment on how pathetic the lower base of our society is? Am I just unusual, meaning how much this irritates me? Do any of you get so annoyed with how obnoxious these are that you turn it off too?

Oh hell yes! We've got this guy here that is screaming and slamming his hand on the hoods of the cars. And what's with all of the hand motions. Good grief! Annoying as hell.

"No money down Mondays!" We'll screw you even more!

"No credit check Wednesdays!" Yeah, riiiiiiiiggghhhtt!!!

"We're dealin'!" :rolleyes:

MrPeabody
07-22-2011, 12:13pm
but aren't car salesmen basically politicians and preachers. And wouldn't that point be controversial? :D

Ahh...no.

Blue 92
07-22-2011, 12:17pm
No credit application refused!!!"

I always love that one. :yesnod:

The lifespan of most of the credit applications they get on those deals from the time it is completed until it hits the trash can is about 2.3 minutes. :rofl:

Uncle Pervey
07-22-2011, 12:41pm
It apparently works to get the dumb no account mofos to show up at your stealership. About 10 years ago a guy came into the area he bought a Ford dealership and started the most obnoxious, loud, screetchy TV campaign I had ever heard. Inside of 4 years he owned a Dodge-Jeep dealership and a Chevy-Buick-GM dealership in the same small town.
I was in Mullet's neighborhood a couple of years ago and saw the same adds for a Ford dealership he apparently owns in the Houston area.
I and everybody I know or associate with absolutely refuse to do business with the guy at any of his businesses because of his obnoxious sales behavior plus that he is actually higher than other dealers in the area, but he fools the dumb ones and has made a shitload of money. :yesnod:

Burnt C6
07-22-2011, 12:45pm
I have nothing to add to this thread. :leaving:

Jesus a car salesman with nothing to say. :rofl:

MrPeabody
07-22-2011, 12:46pm
Jesus a car salesman with nothing to say. :rofl:

You never make money on a car deal by winning an arguement with the customer.:D

Skia
07-22-2011, 1:22pm
You never make money on a car deal by winning an arguement with the customer.:D
:withstupid:

FWIW the type of marketing that you are referencing annoys the hell out of me and we didn't do that at BMW or here at Honda.

syf350
07-22-2011, 1:23pm
http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/bbo/lowres/bbon134l.jpg

clutchdust
07-22-2011, 1:53pm
I always love that one. :yesnod:

The lifespan of most of the credit applications they get on those deals from the time it is completed until it hits the trash can is about 2.3 minutes. :rofl:

I love that one too. Sure, they'll accept every credit application. May even approve a lot of them... at 33% APR.

snide
07-22-2011, 2:36pm
:withstupid:

FWIW the type of marketing that you are referencing annoys the hell out of me and we didn't do that at BMW or here at Honda.

Maybe at your store. Most stealerships around here do the in-your-face ad campaigns.

MrPeabody
07-22-2011, 3:06pm
I love that one too. Sure, they'll accept every credit application. May even approve a lot of them... at 33% APR.

I can get you done for 28.5.:dance:

DJ_Critterus
07-22-2011, 3:08pm

Exactly. Has anyone ever been annoyed by the end of the commercials either on TV or radio where the phone number to call is repeated about 6-20,000 times? Repetition works.....

snide
07-22-2011, 3:11pm
I can get you done for 28.5.:dance:

Do you have the car I'm looking for? Will you give me 120% of black/blue book value for my trade? :bigears:

MrPeabody
07-22-2011, 3:13pm
:rofl: Step in my office, we'll close the door and maybe you can share a little of whatever it is you're smoking.

LATB
07-22-2011, 3:32pm
car salesman are just like Realtors...minus the blackberry, the boobs, and BMW :D

Skia
07-22-2011, 3:52pm
car salesman are just like Realtors...minus the blackberry, the boobs, and BMW :D

Blackberry: Nope Droid X

Boobs: Nope lost those when I lost 158 lbs back in 1980

Bmw: Check....

LATB
07-22-2011, 3:53pm
Blackberry: Nope Droid X

Boobs: Nope lost those when I lost 158 lbs back in 1980

Bmw: Check....

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

DukeAllen
07-22-2011, 4:08pm
I just always wanted to see someone tell the salesman "That's too ****ing high!"...
http://blogs.e-rockford.com/movieman/files/2009/04/chargraham.jpg

Skia
07-22-2011, 4:46pm
I just always wanted to see someone tell the salesman "That's too ****ing high!"...
http://blogs.e-rockford.com/movieman/files/2009/04/chargraham.jpg

:rolleyes: I just want to tell a customer " You're a stupid idiot" 99% of people wouldn't think twice to ask a retail store to lower their price on something they want. Do you go tro tjhe grocery store and walk up to the check out and say "These potatoes are .75 cents a pound I'll give you .45cents. No of course you wouldn't but you expect to offer $6,000.00 under sticker and expect to get it. :rolleyes:

1st one that takes me to task on this gets a "surprise". :dance:

LATB
07-22-2011, 4:54pm
:rolleyes: I just want to tell a customer " You're a stupid idiot" 99% of people wouldn't think twice to ask a retail store to lower their price on something they want. Do you go tro tjhe grocery store and walk up to the check out and say "These potatoes are .75 cents a pound I'll give you .45cents. No of course you wouldn't but you expect to offer $6,000.00 under sticker and expect to get it. :rolleyes:

I think the whole negotiating of car prices is ignorant.

Skia
07-22-2011, 4:57pm
I think the whole negotiating of car prices is ignorant.:withstupid: BUT

I expect a little and trully that's ok...But to offer UNDER sticker?? Not all car companies have thousands in "Trunk money" to the dealers. If you want to know what certain car companies are doing check out Edmunds or KBB.....Ok off soap box now....:leaving:

Flatbush Harry
07-22-2011, 4:58pm

I believe that the issue of price negotiation on autos arrives from custom initiated by dealers who pretend that "MSRP" actually means something other than some number to quote and laugh about the customers' stupidity when they try to deal. In a world where you have businesses try to make differential profit based on differential negotiating abilities and knowledge bases, you pour a foundation for conflict, disrespect and unhappiness on both sides. Respect is given by those to whom respect is paid.

I have bought three cars from a Honda/BMW dealer who quotes the same, discounted, non-negotiable price to all who walk in the door. Their sales process is fair, their service impeccable and the dealership gets uniformly high grades from customers. I'll continue to buy from them.

By contrast, the GM dealers with whom it has been my displeasure to interact treat customers in a way to ensure no loyalty nor respect from them. Not all rice or wiener-schnitzel dealers get it, but the ones that do, do well while they're doing good.

Did that feel good, Southern boy?

:dance:

ayrHr

LATB
07-22-2011, 4:59pm
:withstupid: BUTI expect a little and trully that's ok...But to offer UNDER sticker?? Not all car companies have thousands in "Trunk money" to the dealers. If you want to know what certain car companies are doing check out Edmunds or KBB.....Ok off soap box now....:leaving:

I mean...

there should be no negotiations.

The price is the price.

Skia
07-22-2011, 4:59pm
I believe that the issue of price negotiation on autos arrives from custom initiated by dealers who pretend that "MSRP" actually means something other than some number to quote and laugh about the customers' stupidity when they try to deal. In a world where you have businesses try to make differential profit based on differential negotiating abilities and knowledge bases, you pour a foundation for conflict, disrespect and unhappiness on both sides. Respect is given by those to whom respect is paid.

I have bought three cars from a Honda/BMW dealer who quotes the same, discounted, non-negotiable price to all who walk in the door. Their sales process is fair, their service impeccable and the dealership gets uniformly high grades from customers. I'll continue to buy from them.

By contrast, the GM dealers with whom it has been my displeasure to interact treat customers in a way to ensure no loyalty nor respect from them. Not all rice or wiener-schnitzel dealers get it, but the ones that do, do well while they're doing good.

Did that feel good, Southern boy?:dance:

ayrHr It tingled a little HaRRah. :yesnod:

themonk
07-22-2011, 5:00pm

I hope so, we just bought two of them.

LATB
07-22-2011, 5:00pm

Did that feel good, Southern boy?

:dance:

ayrHr

:iagree:

Flatbush Harry
07-22-2011, 5:10pm
It tingled a little HaRRah. :yesnod:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Y'all come back now, heah!

:cheers:

yarHr, recently returned from a Southern sojourn

MrPeabody
07-22-2011, 6:08pm

I agree with you in principle, but I have to say, if I was buying $50K worth of potatoes, I would negotiate the price. I guarantee the grocery chain that sells them did.

boracayjohnny
07-22-2011, 6:12pm

"What about eight grand? Chop it! "

That mofo is making tons of money with his "homeboy/ghetto/douchebag" image.

NB2K
07-22-2011, 8:02pm
I mean...

The price is the price.

That was Saturn's deal when they first started.

Look how that worked out for them.:D

polarbear
07-22-2011, 8:52pm
:withstupid: BUT

I expect a little and trully that's ok...But to offer UNDER sticker?? Not all car companies have thousands in "Trunk money" to the dealers. If you want to know what certain car companies are doing check out Edmunds or KBB.....Ok off soap box now....:leaving:

Yeah- but honestly, the Honda biz isn't much different from the Kia biz. Wrapped up a Sorento today. Negotiations started the usual way: "I can buy this car for blah blah at the dealer across town, and I can get it through Costco for whatever." After a little digging, though, what the customer really needed was a way to get into the car with $1,000 down and $400/mo. payments. Flip it to a subvented lease, throw the additional lease rebate money into the pot, and we made a car deal. A pretty nice one too. That's the car biz- trade-in (because there's usually a payoff), down payment, and monthly payment are the three critical issues for most folks.

LATB
07-22-2011, 9:06pm
That was Saturn's deal when they first started.

Look how that worked out for them.:D

I think there were larger problems there

vetteman9368
07-22-2011, 10:26pm
Yeah- but honestly, the Honda biz isn't much different from the Kia biz. Wrapped up a Sorento today. Negotiations started the usual way: "I can buy this car for blah blah at the dealer across town, and I can get it through Costco for whatever." After a little digging, though, what the customer really needed was a way to get into the car with $1,000 down and $400/mo. payments. Flip it to a subvented lease, throw the additional lease rebate money into the pot, and we made a car deal. A pretty nice one too. That's the car biz- trade-in (because there's usually a payoff), down payment, and monthly payment are the three critical issues for most folks.

on that note, if a dealer ever pulls out a "4 square" sheet on you, leave.

polarbear
07-22-2011, 10:50pm
on that note, if a dealer ever pulls out a "4 square" sheet on you, leave.

We don't have one. :) Here's a secret though- the foursquare is for the salesman. Price, trade, cash down, and payment. Paint-by-numbers- some real geniuses out there as salesmen.

vetteman9368
07-22-2011, 11:07pm
We don't have one. :) Here's a secret though- the foursquare is for the salesman. Price, trade, cash down, and payment. Paint-by-numbers- some real geniuses out there as salesmen.

very true, but it's a dead give away of their sales tactics

ZipZap
07-23-2011, 12:56am

Although I don't need to buy potatoes from a licensed dealer. Oh crap, I can't get Yukon Gold here, only Idaho Russet:rofl:

If the market supported a ~4% profit on cars like it does on other big box store commodities, then I would consider the "buy at the sticker" concept. The markup on cars is analogous to the markup on jewelry, just less aggressive. I'm convinced, since dealers will sell at "invoice", that they are making plenty of money on a negotiated deal.

mrvette
07-23-2011, 4:08am
Although I don't need to buy potatoes from a licensed dealer. Oh crap, I can't get Yukon Gold here, only Idaho Russet:rofl:

If the market supported a ~4% profit on cars like it does on other big box store commodities, then I would consider the "buy at the sticker" concept. The markup on cars is analogous to the markup on jewelry, just less aggressive. I'm convinced, since dealers will sell at "invoice", that they are making plenty of money on a negotiated deal.

I have repeatedly heard through the years that the average dealer owner covers ALL the overhead with the service dept proceeds....and so makes a average of some 23% profit on new sales.....this is bottom line after all the crapola distills out at the end of the year/period.....

:cheers:

polarbear
07-23-2011, 9:09am

Assume that if it's sold, they made a profit somewhere along the line. Too much focus on price in this thread- there's tons of ways to make money in a car deal that have zero to do with the selling price of the car.

LATB
07-23-2011, 9:12am
Assume that if it's sold, they made a profit somewhere along the line. Too much focus on price in this thread- there's tons of ways to make money in a car deal that have zero to do with the selling price of the car.

and that's the problem...and why car salesmen & dealerships are despised by so many.

Cybercowboy
07-23-2011, 9:24am
:withstupid: BUT

So we're supposed to accept over-sticker then? WTF? If you can't offer under-sticker, what's the point in negotiating anything?

I like Acura dealers. They pretty much tell you what the car costs, and the negotiation can happen along the lines of trade-in or possibly a few free or discounted bolt-ons.

themonk
07-23-2011, 9:27am
So many experts up in here, I must be at a car buyers convention.

jaxgator
07-23-2011, 9:45am
I mean...

The price is the price.

Exactly. Just like the price of potatoes at the grocery store. Then there would be some real competition and this would benefit the customer. Just like every other consumable.

LATB
07-23-2011, 9:48am
Exactly. Just like the price of potatoes at the grocery store. Then there would be some real competition and this would benefit the customer. Just like every other consumable.

And most of the salesmen would not be necessary. Just have a couple on staff to handle test drives and write up sales contracts.

And just for laughs...how about requiring those "sales folks" to actually know their product...inside & out!

polarbear
07-23-2011, 3:19pm
and that's the problem...and why car salesmen & dealerships are despised by so many.

I know. This is gonna sound terrible, but as long as I get paid, I can deal with it.