PDA

View Full Version : 'I didn't hit a car under $20K'

Mike Mercury
07-22-2011, 8:36am
Sour 'lemon' driver returns to dealer; 'I didn't hit a car under $20K'
July 21, 2011 2:00 AM
PORTSMOUTH — Unhappy that a Lafayette Road car dealer wouldn't take back the van he bought on Monday, David Cross drove "the lemon" back after the dealer closed on Tuesday and crashed it into six cars parked on the lot for sale.

"I hit the first $25,000 car I could see," Cross told the Herald. "I didn't hit a car under $20,000. Then I moved a van that they wouldn't come down on the price for. I moved it with the lemon they sold me. I just held it to the floor until I couldn't move it anymore. I took out seven vehicles, including my own."

He said his story began on Monday, when his wife bought a van at the Portsmouth Used Car Superstore.

"It was a piece of crap," Cross said, elaborating that his mechanic looked at the van after it was purchased and found a host of problems, including an odometer that didn't work. He said an Internet search showed it had been in a wreck and his insurance agent told him he couldn't insure it with a broken odometer, so he followed his mechanic's advice to "take it back."

Cross said he went back to the car dealer, asked for a refund and was told "you're stuck with it." So he began negotiating the price for another van, but a salesman wouldn't budge, he said.

He said he and his wife returned home in the van they bought Monday, and he waited for her to fall asleep. He then drove back to the car dealership just before midnight and started driving into cars.

He said he was about to call the police and turn himself in when he saw a cruiser, flagged it down and told the officer "the deal." After his arrest, he was released on personal recognizance bail and he's scheduled to be arraigned Sept. 19 in Portsmouth District Court.

"I was pretty crazy last night," he said. "I woke up this morning and wondered if it was a dream, but then I looked over and there's my bail papers."

Cross said he was not under the influence of any substance, just driven by anger.

A Portsmouth Used Car Superstore manager, who asked not to be named, declined to comment, but when pressed, estimated the damage caused by Cross to be about $20,000.

"That sounds about right," Cross said when the Herald relayed the estimate.

The manager said the cars Cross crashed into included a Mercedes and a special edition Mustang. He said the cars have been towed from the lot and the business is insured for the loss.

Cross is also charged with driving after suspension because, he said, his license was suspended for falling behind on child support.

He said he's prepared to face whatever penalty comes his way.

"I'm stuck with it now," he said. "But I got my point across."

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/161725/161725,1237997814,7/stock-photo-flying-lemon-girl-27345529.jpg

Montehall
07-22-2011, 8:48am
I contemplated something similar once.

C5SilverBullet
07-22-2011, 8:48am
He didn't really prove anything. Insurance is paying for the cars, and they'll make a killing on them.

I guess I missed the part where they forced him to buy the vehicle he bought.

Mike Mercury
07-22-2011, 8:57am
this is a cool guy; doing something that many if us have have only thought of doing.

He didn't really prove anything. Insurance is paying for the cars, and they'll make a killing on them.

but the "killing" is short lived. The awareness this used car dealership just received - will damage their reputation... and will effect future sales.

That's a typical short-sided approach to business-planniing one sees often; a business just worrying about the numbers at the end of the month. And not focusing on what the numbers might be 6 months from now - when deciding on how to handle a complaint.

C5SilverBullet
07-22-2011, 9:00am
but the "killing" is short lived. The awareness this used car dealership just received - will damage their reputation... and will effect future sales.

That's a typical short-sided approach to business-planniing one sees often; a business just worrying about the numbers at the end of the month. And not focusing on what the numbers might be 6 months from now - when deciding on how to handle a complaint.
I seriously doubt it. Plus, they didn't even name the place. How is it the dealerships fault the guy bought something he didn't check out? Nobody forced him into buying anything.

Everyone always jumps to blame someone else for their own mistakes, grow up and accept that you screwed up.

Mike Mercury
07-22-2011, 9:06am
Plus, they didn't even name the place.

that's what happens when a person jumps to the rescue (in a cult like fashion)... they tend to not see what's directly in front of their own eyes:

PORTSMOUTH — Unhappy that a Lafayette Road car dealer ...

when his wife bought a van at the Portsmouth Used Car Superstore.

A Portsmouth Used Car Superstore manager, who asked not to be named...

I thought I knew you better than that :confused:

Cybercowboy
07-22-2011, 9:07am
I seriously doubt it. Plus, they didn't even name the place. How is it the dealerships fault the guy bought something he didn't check out? Nobody forced him into buying anything.

Everyone always jumps to blame someone else for their own mistakes, grow up and accept that you screwed up.

It's illegal in Missouri to sell a vehicle with a non-operational odometer (unless it's being sold for parts or scrap or restoration.)

LATB
07-22-2011, 9:13am

understatement of the day Mr. American History :rofl::rofl:

Uncle Pervey
07-22-2011, 9:20am
I gotta agree with Mike on this, it is going to hurt the stealership .... a little bit. About 10 years ago we had a car dealer (owner of the dealership) that got into a dispute with a customer over the price of a new car. Apparently their discussion got pretty heated so the customer left.
A couple days later he drove up in the same model car that he had wanted to buy from the dealer and walked in and showed him that he'd got it for some fair amount less than the dealer had told him was the "best price you'll find or I'll kiss your ass!" The guy asked the dealer to kiss his ass, the dealer instead sucker punched him and knocked him out.
It just about cost him his business, he lost so much local business that he had to move his dealership to another spot because he couldn't afford the lease payments on the place he was at.
Kids would go by the place at night and put signs on the windshields of the cars.. "Teddy said knock you out!" As a play on LL Cool J's Mamma said knock you out! :rofl:
His business finally recovered but people still talk about the incident.

C5SilverBullet
07-22-2011, 9:33am
I thought I knew you better than that :confused:
I thought it said "A" used car dealer, my bad.

C5SilverBullet
07-22-2011, 9:34am
It's illegal in Missouri to sell a vehicle with a non-operational odometer (unless it's being sold for parts or scrap or restoration.)

Illegal here too, they would be required to fix the odometer at no charge to the customer.

Cybercowboy
07-22-2011, 9:36am
Illegal here too, they would be required to fix the odometer at no charge to the customer.

Right, and I don't think you can use it as a reason to force them to take it back and refund your money. However, if they refuse to fix it, you may have recourse then.

Mike Mercury
07-22-2011, 9:37am
my bad.

:cheers:

C5SilverBullet
07-22-2011, 9:43am
Right, and I don't think you can use it as a reason to force them to take it back and refund your money. However, if they refuse to fix it, you may have recourse then.

That's the way it works here.

The second you sign that form that says "As-Is", you accept its problems. Obviously it excludes things required by law.

Millenium Vette
07-22-2011, 9:54am

That's the way it works here.

The second you sign that form that says "As-Is", you accept its problems. Obviously it excludes things required by law.

My guess is the odometer not working would have been the dude's only legal recourse to make them take back the car. It sounds like the dealer didn't disclose "True Mileage Unknown" on the paperwork. I don't think an as-is disclosure is enough to sidestep that one.

Mike Mercury
07-22-2011, 10:08am
It sounds like the dealer didn't disclose "True Mileage Unknown" on the paperwork. I don't think an as-is disclosure is enough to sidestep that one.

I believe in Ohio - you can sell a car with a non-functional odometer.... but you have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to mention it.

I think it's much simpler than that though; a used car dealer took advantage of a woman buyer; and the very next day the husband takes it back to undo the deal.

We'd all be right back there - within 24 hours - as this guy was.

Millenium Vette
07-22-2011, 10:14am
I believe in Ohio - you can sell a car with a non-functional odometer.... but you have to go OUT OF YOUR WAY to mention it.

I think it's much simpler than that though; a used car dealer took advantage of a woman buyer; and the very next day the husband takes it back to undo the deal.

We'd all be right back there - within 24 hours - as this guy was.

You can sell a car with a busted odometer in Michigan, but you had better disclose on the title under mileage TMU. You also need to make sure the buyer knows the mileage is unknown and have them sign a form disclosing the fact and have them sign it and make sure they understand what they are signing. A TMU tattoo on their forehead might also be a good idea to keep them from coming back and saying the salesman slipped it through and they didn't know what they were signing. :cheers:

oyealiz
07-22-2011, 11:27am
Seems to me he'd have done himself more personal good by taking buying power from his wife. What did she do? Walk in, say "I want that one" and check nothing out?!

And if he's behind on child support and has no license, the money he's going to spend on attorney and court cost could definitely have been put to better use getting all that in order.

Good heavens!!!! :willy:

NB2K
07-22-2011, 2:11pm

:iagree:

He is a failure at life, this just proves that point.