PDA

View Full Version : Calls for Alarm: Couple gets fake ransom call, loses $300

onedef92
07-22-2011, 8:02am
Couple gets fake ransom call, loses $300

Posted: Jul 21, 2011 10:13 PM EDT
Updated: July 21, 2011 09:13 PM CDT

SHREVEPORT, LA (KSLA) - Mickey Netherton reads back the numbers from a disturbing phone call he got from Jamaica Thursday.

The person on the other end was someone claiming to be the Netherton's grandson, Michael and said he owed a debt to some men.

Their demand: 300 dollars.

"He says well this man says he's going to blow my head off, he said I borrowed money from him, and I was going to pay him but he says he wants his money right now," said Betsy Netherton.

She and her husband Mickey were immediately suspicious. Their grandson, a veteran, lives in Arlington Texas with his family.

The problem was, their phone calls to him went unanswered for hours, they wouldn't get a call back from him until it was too late. "But I wasn't going to gamble 300 dollars on my grandson's life," said Mickey.

The thought of someone harming their grandson was terrifying. "He used my grandson, saying he was Michael, he knew enough about what I was doing to know I had a grandson named Michael," said Mickey.

And because the alleged kidnappers had so many details about Michael, Mickey knew he couldn't chance it, so he rushed down to the Western Union on Greenwood Road with 300 dollars in cash. Mickey says he called Western Union and was told that the 300 dollars was picked up about 15 minutes later in Jamaica.

"When they got the money the calls stopped," said Mickey. "We were really a little relieved to tell you the truth, maybe they were satisfied," said Betsy.

The Nethertons finally heard from their grandson and he told them that he spent the day with his family, and that he had no idea how they got his or his grandfather's information.

A call placed to the number that showed up on caller I.D. was unsuccessful. A recording indicated that it had been disconnected.

The Nethertons want to share their terrifying story to help keep others from becoming victims.

Couple gets fake ransom call, loses $300 - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana | (http://www.ksla.com/story/15127222/couple-gets-fake-ransom-call-loses-300?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=6076753)