PDA

View Full Version : Best S/C setup opinions.

1TZSLO
02-09-2010, 9:17pm
I have read around CF for the last few days and there are many companies and types of S/C that all people support.

Since I am new here, I would like some of VB opinions on what you all think are the better Kits/Systems.

A&A Kits now come with which ever head unit you pick. INcluding the V3 self contained head unit. Around $5500 with the V3

ECS Kits are Paxton- $6000

Procharger is Self contained but I think the most expensive out of the bunch from what I can find online. Around $6500

Just trying to find the best bang for the buck on a kit.

What are some of ya'll using?

thegreenman
02-09-2010, 9:30pm
I went with the MagnaCharger TVS 1900. Don't ask how much but a lot more than the Procharger price you mentioned, but man she has incredible torque. You will need to consider a widebody kit down the road, with any SC traction will be a problem.

1TZSLO
02-09-2010, 9:35pm
I went with the MagnaCharger TVS 1900. Don't ask how much but a lot more than the Procharger price you mentioned, but man she has incredible torque. You will need to consider a widebody kit down the road, with any SC traction will be a problem.

Did you have to buy a new hood? I read that most Magna's needed to have an aftermarket hood.
And well at least you are very happy with what you have, thats all that matters.

thegreenman
02-09-2010, 9:50pm
Did you have to buy a new hood? I read that most Magna's needed to have an aftermarket hood.
And well at least you are very happy with what you have, thats all that matters.

Yes, the maggies need a replacement hood, I have bought a couple of hoods. The first was a RKSport hood that did not clear, quality was pretty bad. I ended up getting a Lingenfelter hood, great quality and fit. I did the widebody kit with tires/wheel, did the 345's for rear tires and still have a hard time getting traction. I have mod fever bad, just waiting to pay off some bills before more upgrades.

No matter what SC you go with, I am sure you will be happy. Expect the mod bug to bite and plan on future upgrades. :rofl:

1TZSLO
02-09-2010, 10:01pm
Yes, the maggies need a replacement hood, I have bought a couple of hoods. The first was a RKSport hood that did not clear, quality was pretty bad. I ended up getting a Lingenfelter hood, great quality and fit. I did the widebody kit with tires/wheel, did the 345's for rear tires and still have a hard time getting traction. I have mod fever bad, just waiting to pay off some bills before more upgrades.

No matter what SC you go with, I am sure you will be happy. Expect the mod bug to bite and plan on future upgrades. :rofl:

Well horsepower goal 530rwhp
Rest of the mod bug will be traction Issues :rofl:

thegreenman
02-09-2010, 10:26pm
Mod fever is like crack, you just can't stop. I am at 570RWHP and can't tell you what my goal is, but Ed said I won't be able to stop. I guess he has seen mod fever before. :o_o:

1TZSLO
02-09-2010, 11:26pm
Yeah I had mod fever with my Talon a few years back.

FRC Joe
02-10-2010, 12:58pm
I have read around CF for the last few days and there are many companies and types of S/C that all people support.

Since I am new here, I would like some of VB opinions on what you all think are the better Kits/Systems.

A&A Kits now come with which ever head unit you pick. INcluding the V3 self contained head unit. Around $5500 with the V3

ECS Kits are Paxton- $6000

Procharger is Self contained but I think the most expensive out of the bunch from what I can find online. Around $6500

Just trying to find the best bang for the buck on a kit.

What are some of ya'll using?

As far as centrifugals go, only the A&A and ECS kits are worth considering IMHO. The kit directly from Procharger is a shameless copy of the ECS and A&A style bracketry and belt routing, yet more expensive. The kit directly from Vortech uses a less efficient air-to-water cooler, and has a fairly tortured hose routing and blower inlet piping.

I have an A&A T-Trim kit with the older style intercooler, and I'm very satisfied with it. The intall was easy, and the kit features high quality parts and design. I think I'd be equally satisfied with the ECS if I had gone that route. The Novi 2000 that comes with the ECS kit will support a ton of power. You would have to go with the Vortech YSi from A&A to match the Novi's ultimate power potential. But with your power goals a Vortech S-Trim would be more than enough. For reference, I make 617 rwhp and 536 rwtg at 6200 RPM and 10psi of boost.

WRT maggies, TVSs and Kenne Bells, those kits can make a ton of power. But in my opinion the huge torque at low RPMs is unsuited to the C5 chassis and available traction.

I think I'm going to transplant my old blower install thread to this forum so we can start building up a database of install threads.

1TZSLO
02-10-2010, 2:25pm
I talked to ED from Va speed about a procharger kit. The base model is P-1SC-1 not sure of the hp capability of the S/C but I might as well go with one size bigger for good measure!

Peter Pan
02-11-2010, 11:33am
I have the orginal A&A Procharger kit that used to make 700+ rwhp and last year I upgraded the bracket to the new style he uses on the Vortech head units and with a 8 rib upgrade I am at 771 RWHP. Look over on the Corvette Forum and get yourself a used A&A or ECS kit. I forgot to mention mine was used when I purchased it almost 5 years ago. My buddy just picked up a used A&A kit and LS1 intake and no headers he got 494 RWHP on his 97:hurray:

chargedc5
02-11-2010, 12:35pm
I have the A&A s-trim and love it, If I remember i'm at 514rwhp on a VERY VERY safe tune! The best part is if you call Andy at 9:00pm at night he will pick up and help answer your questions! Thats customer service!

1TZSLO
02-11-2010, 2:17pm
I have the A&A s-trim and love it, If I remember i'm at 514rwhp on a VERY VERY safe tune! The best part is if you call Andy at 9:00pm at night he will pick up and help answer your questions! Thats customer service!

V2 or V3 trim?

chargedc5
02-11-2010, 4:29pm
V2 or V3 trim?

S-trim its about 3-4 years old

1TZSLO
02-11-2010, 4:47pm
Ah HA, I see now. I am leaning towards the V3 T trim. its self contained and I have room to grow.

OBXFunn
02-12-2010, 8:40am
OK I will chime in for my Kenne Bell. I love my set up and it makes a ton of power. But it does have a bad side, if you call it bad, I have way to much torque for a normal street car. Right now I am at 780rwtq and have over 700rwtq at 2300RPM, thats a crap load in my book. I have not even finished tweaking my car and still have a bigger TB to install and a few more things Ed needs to finish. But I still start laughing when, at 90MPH, I hit the gas and the wheels start spinning.

thegreenman
02-12-2010, 2:59pm
OK I will chime in for my Kenne Bell. I love my set up and it makes a ton of power. But it does have a bad side, if you call it bad, I have way to much torque for a normal street car. Right now I am at 780rwtq and have over 700rwtq at 2300RPM, thats a crap load in my book. I have not even finished tweaking my car and still have a bigger TB to install and a few more things Ed needs to finish. But I still start laughing when, at 90MPH, I hit the gas and the wheels start spinning.

I looked into the KB but they didn't have one for the C6 yet. Without a doubt the KB is sweet, impressive power. :above:

edcmat-l1
02-12-2010, 8:31pm
The KB is the best compressor hands down. It's the rest of the system that needs work. The IC and intake manifold need to be completely re-engineered. The compressor needs to be turned around, and moved back on the manifold. That would require a jack shaft and rear pulley system to be designed. Along with a front mounted t-body, which is where the big power increase would come from.

To do all that would take a significant amount of money. More than most would be willing to spend. KB themselves don't seem to be interested in re-engineering the Vette system.

What needs to happen, is a company with the engineering capability, make a deal with KB to just buy the compressors, and design a completely new kit from the ground up.

thegreenman
02-13-2010, 3:49pm
The KB is the best compressor hands down. It's the rest of the system that needs work. The IC and intake manifold need to be completely re-engineered. The compressor needs to be turned around, and moved back on the manifold. That would require a jack shaft and rear pulley system to be designed. Along with a front mounted t-body, which is where the big power increase would come from.

To do all that would take a significant amount of money. More than most would be willing to spend. KB themselves don't seem to be interested in re-engineering the Vette system.

What needs to happen, is a company with the engineering capability, make a deal with KB to just buy the compressors, and design a completely new kit from the ground up.

Didn't Techno try to do that? I believe they went under.

edcmat-l1
02-14-2010, 9:24am
Didn't Techno try to do that? I believe they went under.

If they tried doing it on their own dime, that would explain why they're out of business. You have to get paid for that kind of engineering.