PDA

View Full Version : Using sand to fill holes in my dirt driveway

Olustee bus
07-21-2011, 12:35pm
My driveway is mostly grass with some areas with holes> I would like to fill the holes to may my driveway smoother. I am considering builders sand. I think grass would fill in quicker with sand.

Any suggestions?

Datawiz
07-21-2011, 12:37pm
Crushed shell, since you're in Florida.

Bucwheat
07-21-2011, 12:56pm
That is what I use for low spots in my lawn ,sand,grass does grow through it quickly.

LATB
07-21-2011, 1:41pm

crushed shell sucks

FRISKY
07-21-2011, 1:51pm
Sandy loam soil should work well. It is easy to work with. I use it to level low spots in the yard.

Uncle Pervey
07-21-2011, 1:52pm
What happens when you get a big rain? Aren't ruts and getting stuck a danger? :confused5:

Datawiz
07-21-2011, 2:04pm
crushed shell sucks

doesn't wash away as easily as sand.

GRN ENVY
07-21-2011, 2:08pm

:iagree:

LATB
07-21-2011, 2:09pm
doesn't wash away as easily as sand.

but it breaks up into small pieces...gets stuck in your tires...and gets tracked in the house...

a general PITA. I know...I had a crushed shell driveway at my 1st Florida home.

Datawiz
07-21-2011, 2:11pm
but it breaks up into small pieces...gets stuck in your tires...and gets tracked in the house...

If it were my driveway, I'd do brick pavers. :D

lspencer534
07-21-2011, 2:17pm
I'm confused, OP. Your driveway is mostly grass? What happens when the ground gets mushy--don't you rut it and slip and slide? I'm assuming you use it daily like most of us.

LATB
07-21-2011, 2:18pm
If it were my driveway, I'd do brick pavers. :D

BTDT...

not impressed

Montehall
07-21-2011, 2:24pm
We have crushed shell at our house, I have experienced none of the issues mentioned in this thread.

Datawiz
07-21-2011, 2:24pm
BTDT...

not impressed

What would your preference be?

LATB
07-21-2011, 2:30pm
What would your preference be?

concrete

unless the drive is real long...then maybe asphalt. but even w/ asphalt...I'd finish with concrete at the garage for parking and washing cars etc.

clay brick pavers are junk. and rarely used anymore.

concrete brick pavers are good if installed over a solid base...otherwise they get ruts in them from use.

It's just not worth the cash to me.

Mark C5
07-21-2011, 2:50pm
concrete

unless the drive is real long...then maybe asphalt. but even w/ asphalt...I'd finish with concrete at the garage for parking and washing cars etc.

clay brick pavers are junk. and rarely used anymore.

concrete brick pavers are good if installed over a solid base...otherwise they get ruts in them from use.

It's just not worth the cash to me.

So the concrete pavers are ok here in Florida? Do they need to be periodically resealed or anything?

LATB
07-21-2011, 2:53pm
So the concrete pavers are ok here in Florida? Do they need to be periodically resealed or anything?

no sealing or resealing required.

but don't install them directly on the sand base...there WILL be ruts from driving on it.

best to install over a "rat slab" or at minimum a good 4-6 inches of compacted gravel.

Mark C5
07-21-2011, 2:55pm
no sealing or resealing required.

but don't install them directly on the sand base...there WILL be ruts from driving on it.

best to install over a "rat slab" or at minimum a good 4-6 inches of compacted gravel.

Ok, what's a "rat slab"? The reason I'm asking is a friend is looking at putting in a new driveway and she said the quotes she got for pavers was about a third of concrete. Sound right?

I didn't think or know to ask what kind of pavers.

LATB
07-21-2011, 3:02pm
Ok, what's a "rat slab"? The reason I'm asking is a friend is looking at putting in a new driveway and she said the quotes she got for pavers was about a third of concrete. Sound right?

I didn't think or know to ask what kind of pavers.

a rat slab is a concrete slab...usually 3 or 4 inches thick with a crude finish.

NO WAY pavers are a third the cost of concrete slab work.

pavers run between $3.00 and $5.00 per square foot installed.

concrete flat work runs around $2.00 per sq. ft. formed & poured.

there are of course costs of removal of old slabs...and any fill or base work needed.

Mark C5
07-21-2011, 3:13pm
a rat slab is a concrete slab...usually 3 or 4 inches thick with a crude finish.

NO WAY pavers are a third the cost of concrete slab work.

pavers run between $3.00 and $5.00 per square foot installed.

concrete flat work runs around $2.00 per sq. ft. formed & poured.

there are of course costs of removal of old slabs...and any fill or base work needed.

Thank you.

LATB
07-21-2011, 3:33pm
Thank you.

you are welcome. :cheers:

see, I'm not always an ass...

I have one or 2 redeeming qualities :rofl:

Bucwheat
07-21-2011, 3:36pm

I have to agree,same here we used to get it into everything in Fla.