PDA

View Full Version : I Scheme the Body Electric: Many Parents use Facebook to snoop on their children

onedef92
07-21-2011, 11:21am
More than half of parents use Facebook to snoop on their children

Updated: Jul 19, 2011 5:02 PM EDT

In a recent survey of 2,000 parents by LAPTOP Magazine, fifty-five percent of parents admitted to using Facebook for digital snooping into the lives of their children.

Another five percent would use Facebook if someone taught them how to utilize it. The most common tactic for the digital snooping is checking out the most recent status updates.

Other methods of spying on their children included reading posts on the wall as well as checking out pictures that have been tagged with the child's name.

Technically-savvy parents have even logged into a friend's account to gain more access into their child's digital life.

Another 11 percent of the parents polled have only created an account for the sole reason of tracking their children. Of the parents that attempted to send a friend request to their child, approximately four percent of those parents were denied.

When asked why they used Facebook to spy on their children, 24 percent of parents claimed that it was the only way to find out what the child was doing. Fourteen percent described themselves as being "nosey" while a larger 36 percent of parents preferred the term "overprotective".

While the behavior is obviously invasive, a recent study by Consumer Reports in June found that there are over seven million children under the age of 13 on Facebook.

Of that group, five million of those children are under the age of ten and rarely received any parental supervision while on the site. While Facebook's official policy only allows people ages 13 and up to use the social networking service, the age gate to becoming a member can easily be falsified to open an account.

Only 18 percent of the parents with children 10 and under on Facebook made the child their Facebook friend to monitor the page.

Even fewer parents (10 percent) sat down with their kids to have a serious discussion on the safety of social networks and the Internet.

Scissors
07-21-2011, 11:47am
The smart way to do it is to pretend like you barely even know what Facebook is, much less use it. Then snoop on the kids. When you discover something, just say that one of their friends (name withheld) ratted them out.

HeatherO
07-21-2011, 12:04pm
I'm friends with my girls on facebook, as well as a lot of their friends.

If they're doing something they shouldn't be doing, they sure as heck aren't putting it all over FB :lol:

onedef92
07-21-2011, 12:05pm
How ya'll like that headline dope? :rasta:

Burnt C6
07-21-2011, 12:08pm
my parents didn't need face book to know what trouble I was causing. The damn neighbors would tell them everything they needed to know for my ass to get in trouble.

Yerf Dog
07-21-2011, 12:12pm
How ya'll like that headline dope? :rasta:

:cheers:

onedef92
07-21-2011, 12:13pm
my parents didn't need face book to know what trouble I was causing. The damn neighbors would tell them everything they needed to know for my ass to get in trouble.

Yeah, that's the way my littermates and I came up, too.

oyealiz
07-21-2011, 12:21pm
My parents had eyes in the back of their heads. I do, too. :D

Facebook is just like adding another eye.

kylebuck
07-21-2011, 12:25pm
My mom only askes who most of you are

HeatherO
07-21-2011, 1:28pm

your mom creeps on your FB? :D

oyealiz
07-21-2011, 2:42pm
your mom creeps on your FB? :D

She probably told him to delete the lot of us!

onedef92
07-21-2011, 2:44pm
She probably told him to delete the lot of us!

If she's smart she did! :rofl:

MEC5LADY
07-21-2011, 2:51pm

Yeah, that's the way my littermates and I came up, too.

:iagree: Nothing and I mean nothing ever got by my parents---especially my Mother. Of course, I was the perfect angel never causing any trouble at all.:leaving:

:waiting:

onedef92
07-21-2011, 2:55pm
:iagree: Nothing and I mean nothing ever got by my parents---especially my Mother. Of course, I was the perfect angel never causing any trouble at all.

That's what makes me and Theresa so good at bustin' Chynna and Julian, Jr.; we've seen all their shit before because we've done it!

MEC5LADY
07-21-2011, 2:58pm
:iagree: Nothing and I mean nothing ever got by my parents---especially my Mother. Of course, I was the perfect angel never causing any trouble at all.

That's what makes me and Theresa so good at bustin' Chynna and Julian, Jr.; we've seen all their shit before because we've done it!

I did manage to get a few things past my parents but not much. One thing in particular came out a year ago and I quickly exited the room least I get my azz beat. It doesn't matter how old you are to my parents they will still kick your azz if needed. :rofl::leaving: