PDA

View Full Version : Who's next ... possible answer

Luke@tirerack
07-21-2011, 10:30am
Paul Finebaum had the USA Today's Danny Sheridan on as a guest this afternoon, and Sheridan says the NCAA thinks it has found the bag man who helped Auburn pay for Cam Newton. I didn't catch the whole thing and the replay's not up yet, but this is news big enough to post it now and update later.

Most of what I have to go on right now is a series of tweets from Finebaum's Twitter feed. Here are the bullet points:

•The NCAA investigation of Auburn ramped up after the Destin incident. Be careful what you wish for, Gene Chizik.
•This is a quote from Sheridan: "As I understand it, the NCAA is trying to get an alleged 3rd person or bag man to come forward."
•Sheridan reports that the investigation is all about Auburn and not about Mississippi State.
•If the NCAA can put it all together, major sanctions will come along with vacation of the national championship and Heisman.
•Sheridan closed by reiterating that the NCAA thinks it knows the "third party" who put up the money to pay for Newton's signature.
Obviously this is huge news. I'll try to update this as soon as Finebaum's web site posts the audio from the interview.

UPDATE

The interview is up in Part 1 and Part 2. Only Part 1 has Newton talk, though in Part 2 Sheridan expresses annoyance throughout that Finebaum is doing the interview while also fiddling with his smartphone.

The following is all according to Sheridan.

The NCAA thinks Newton was bought and paid for; it's all a matter of proving it now. Some amount of money went to Cecil Newton, while another amount went to Cecil's church. This money was handled by a "third party". The investigation has "revved up" since Chizik's outburst in Destin. The total amount is approximately $180-200K, with $20-30K having gone to the church. Sheridan has "no idea" if this is true.

This is a direct quote: "They're trying to get a third person, allegedly the bag man, to step forward, and if he steps forward, it'll be a bad situation. But I don't know that he will step forward. I don't know if they have any evidence. I don't want you to misquote me." This "third party/bag man" would be someone doing the work so the someone else's fingerprints are not on the transaction. This third party is not a "rogue alumni".

Sheridan's sources at the NCAA are "25 years old" (as in, he's had a sources there that long; it's not a twentysomething feeding him info) and have never mislead him. There are also 15 other schools being looked at, but he will not name them. They feel money changed hands in the Newton case, but if it can't be proven, the case "will be dropped in probably three-to-six months." Sheridan is not aware of any ongoing investigation of Mississippi State.

Confusingly, Sheridan later says that "Auburn had nothing to do with this" and that this third party "I won't say was working for a rogue alumni." I don't get what he's hinting at here. If the third party didn't do this with the school's knowledge and wasn't working for a rogue alumni, who is he and why did he get involved? Is he some sort of non-alumni booster? Two questions later, he says "if they are guilty of paying a student, not they but the alumni..." Huh?

Sheridan closes by saying the "they [the NCAA] think they know the third party, and they think they know the party that put up the money." That means the NCAA is looking at two entities here: someone who allegedly financed this alleged deal and someone who allegedly carried out this alleged deal. If the NCAA can remove the four "allegedly" instances out of that statement, Auburn's in deep trouble.

UPDATE 2

In a later segment, Sheridan calls the alleged financier of the deal a "wealthy supporter of Auburn." That means someone the NCAA will define as a booster, and that means (if true) we're in Albert Means territory at the least.

link to source (http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2011/7/20/2285291/cam-newton-danny-sheridan-finebaum)

or maybe not

just passing info along

VatorMan
07-21-2011, 10:34am
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

NB2K
07-21-2011, 10:44am
I can't believe Auburn would be so dumb, with all the crap swirling around Newton, to still pay him to come there.

Alabama, yes. Auburn, no way.

War Eagle ZO6
07-21-2011, 1:28pm
Funny. Mean Gene just commented on it.

My opinion is that now that Auburn is talking about it......says everything. A few months ago...AU would not even acknowledge the question.

link to source..
Auburn's Gene Chizik: `NCAA has on more than one occasion said Auburn has done nothing wrong in the recruitment of Cam Newton. Nothing has changed' | al.com (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/07/auburns_gene_chizik_ncaa_has_o.html)

Auburn's Gene Chizik: `NCAA has on more than one occasion said Auburn has done nothing wrong in the recruitment of Cam Newton. Nothing has changed' | al.com

HOOVER, Alabama - Auburn coach Gene Chizik faced the expected questions about the NCAA investigation into the Tigers, and answered them.

"The NCAA has on more than one occasion said Auburn has done nothing wrong in the recruitment of Cam Newton. Nothing has changed," Chizik said at SEC Media Days on Thursday.

Chizik stood beside his program in an early meeting with Auburn beat writers earlier in the day. Those details are here.

Hundreds of reporters then had their turn. Nine of the 22 questions were related to the NCAA. Chizik repeated what he said earlier in the day: His questioning of NCAA vice president for enforcement Julie Roe Lach was informational, not confrontational.

"It was very informative and clarification made that had to do with process," Chizik said.

"I feel great where we are as a football program."

Some additions to our earlier story:

**Freshman running back Tre Mason isn't enrolled yet, but Chizik gave him a nod with a "Tre is very gifted young man."

**On replacing Cam Newton and Nick Fairley...

Chizik conceded that replacing those two talented players can't be done simply.

"We feel good in the evaluation of our players. We feel good about our recruiting process. The past three recruiting classes we have had, we feel good about those guys. I don't know who'll be next Cam Newton or Nick Fairley. What I want is guys in there who love football and love academics.

"We have some great young players, and hopefully guys who will be productive as well."

**On whether there is a code of silence over infractions among SEC coaches...

"What we try to do at Auburn is recruit the right way and do what is the best interest of the student-athlete. I don't have the energy or time to worry about what other people do," Chizik said.

**On the Auburn-Alabama rivalry, and the poisoned trees at Toomer's Corner...

"This is one of the greatest rivalries in college football. There is so much passion in that rivalry. The majority of the people out there - both sides - are educated football people...without going overboard. Like anything, you'll have individuals who will go over the limit," Chizik said.

"The NCAA has on more than one occasion said Auburn has done nothing wrong in the recruitment of Cam Newton. Nothing has changed," Chizik said at SEC Media Days on Thursday.

Chizik stood beside his program in an early meeting with Auburn beat writers earlier in the day. Those details are here.

Hundreds of reporters then had their turn. Nine of the 22 questions were related to the NCAA. Chizik repeated what he said earlier in the day: His questioning of NCAA vice president for enforcement Julie Roe Lach was informational, not confrontational.

"It was very informative and clarification made that had to do with process," Chizik said.

"I feel great where we are as a football program."

Some additions to our earlier story:

**Freshman running back Tre Mason isn't enrolled yet, but Chizik gave him a nod with a "Tre is very gifted young man."

**On replacing Cam Newton and Nick Fairley...

Chizik conceded that replacing those two talented players can't be done simply.

"We feel good in the evaluation of our players. We feel good about our recruiting process. The past three recruiting classes we have had, we feel good about those guys. I don't know who'll be next Cam Newton or Nick Fairley. What I want is guys in there who love football and love academics.

"We have some great young players, and hopefully guys who will be productive as well."

**On whether there is a code of silence over infractions among SEC coaches...

"What we try to do at Auburn is recruit the right way and do what is the best interest of the student-athlete. I don't have the energy or time to worry about what other people do," Chizik said.

**On the Auburn-Alabama rivalry, and the poisoned trees at Toomer's Corner...

"This is one of the greatest rivalries in college football. There is so much passion in that rivalry. The majority of the people out there - both sides - are educated football people...without going overboard. Like anything, you'll have individuals who will go over the limit," Chizik said.

-
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x5/tsr2112/cam2-1.jpg

longhorn341
07-21-2011, 3:03pm
I can't believe Auburn would be so dumb, with all the crap swirling around Newton, to still pay him to come there.

Alabama, yes. Auburn, no way.

Gene Chizik's new contract removes Auburn's right to suspend pay during investigations
Gene Chizik's contract removes Auburn's right to suspend pay during investigations | al.com (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/gene_chiziks_contract_removes.html)

just sayin' :rofl:

NB2K
07-21-2011, 3:42pm
gene chizik's new contract removes auburn's right to suspend pay during investigations
gene chizik's contract removes auburn's right to suspend pay during investigations | al.com (http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/06/gene_chiziks_contract_removes.html)

just sayin' :rofl:

sop

longhorn341
07-21-2011, 3:48pm
sop

It was not that way in his initial contract with Auburn. Just had it changed a couple of months ago. Besides, anything that can be used against WE Z06 is newsworthy.

carlton_fritz
07-21-2011, 3:53pm
Some people can't admit when their school cheats.

TexasBulldog
07-21-2011, 5:24pm
auburn will be hit with something simply to please the public... it could be a slap on the hand or if they find something it will really hurt Auburn and the SEC.

its only a matter of time... in this day and age of mass communication with facebook, twitter, youtube... if someone knows something, it will leak.

NB2K
07-21-2011, 7:52pm
It was not that way in his initial contract with Auburn. Just had it changed a couple of months ago. Besides, anything that can be used against WE Z06 is newsworthy.

You gonna take my bet or not?:D

Will
07-21-2011, 8:00pm
I would LOVE to be in Auburn's position.

The Tar Heels cheat like crazy and all I get is the Meineke Car Care Bowl. http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Will
07-21-2011, 8:02pm
auburn will be hit with something simply to please the public... it could be a slap on the hand or if they find something it will really hurt Auburn and the SEC.

its only a matter of time... in this day and age of mass communication with facebook, twitter, youtube... if someone knows something, it will leak.

If you pay for Cam Newton to come to Auburn, you're OBVIOUSLY a big fan.

Why would this alleged person EVER spill the beans?

I'll tell you right now, if I'm ever a multi, multi-millionaire, you better believe I'm going to:

(A) Become a UNC booster
(B) Offer to pay the best recruits to come to UNC or to give the program the cash to do it themselves
(C) DENY, DENY, DENY if anyone ever accuses me of it.

Will
07-21-2011, 8:04pm
UNC wins basketball championships like they're going out of style. I want a FOOTBALL championship.

BUY BETTER PLAYERS BUTCH !!!!!!

boracayjohnny
07-22-2011, 1:13am
Some people can't admit when their school cheats.

They all do. Anyone that's in the big time and thinks their program is perfect can go talk to ole boy Mr Perfect what wears them sweater vests.

NB2K
07-22-2011, 1:28pm
They all do. Anyone that's in the big time and thinks their program is perfect can go talk to ole boy Mr Perfect what wears them sweater vests.

Absolutely true.