PDA

View Full Version : Alzheimer's is the six leading cause of death in America.

Montehall
07-21-2011, 9:58am
Heard that on the news this morning, during a commercial for some walk-a-thon.
first off, I'm not making light of the disease, but this statement is grossly inaccurate.
it's like saying people die of AIDS. No one has died of AIDS, you die from a secondary disease that is contracted when you have no immune system.

Alzheimers is a horrible disease, but it, by itself, does not kill.

I don't really know where I was going with this, but I felt like saying it.

onedef92
07-21-2011, 9:59am
It blows, I can tell you that. It claimed the life of my grandmother and it's robbing my Dad of his memory/personality even as I type this. :sadangel:

LATB
07-21-2011, 10:00am
lose a close loved one to the disease...

and your perspective will change.

LATB
07-21-2011, 10:01am
It blows, I can tell you that. It claimed the life of my grandmother and it's robbing my Dad of his memory/personality even as I type this. :sadangel:

it took my mom on Christmas Eve 2010...

prayers for your day J.

Meeko87
07-21-2011, 10:01am
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2kAGcVcay24/TdbkjNw81hI/AAAAAAAAJz8/OmABRubv6vE/s1600/funny-alzheimers.jpg
:sadangel:

Montehall
07-21-2011, 10:02am
my grandfather on my Dad's side has it too, he also just (last month) got diagnosed with liver cancer.
he's 87.
:sadangel:

onedef92
07-21-2011, 10:03am
The real sucky thing is peeps is getttin' diagnosed with it at younger ages. Mofo's have it in there 40's!

‪When Alzheimer's hits‬‏ - YouTube

Iron Chef
07-21-2011, 10:03am
How does Alzheimer's take a person's life? I don't know much about the disease except that it affects your memory. How would that cause death?

Serious question BTW...I honestly don't know.

Montehall
07-21-2011, 10:05am
How does Alzheimer's take a person's life? I don't know much about the disease except that it affects your memory. How would that cause death?

this is kind of where I was headed, I guess.

AFAIK, it doesn't.
Alzhiemer's claims lives by secondary illnesses.

LATB
07-21-2011, 10:06am

one who has the disease stops eating. they actually forget how. their natural instincts shut down.

saddest thing I ever done was try to feed my mom last year when she was near the end.

It is fukin' heart breaking.

ConstantChange
07-21-2011, 10:06am

I have to disagree. It kills the person inside the body before the body dies. Very sad.

NB2K
07-21-2011, 10:17am
The real sucky thing is peeps is getttin' diagnosed with it at younger ages. Mofo's have it in there W's!

Not as rare as you might think.

Dr. Alzheimer first diagnosed the disease in a woman that was in her 40s.

onedef92
07-21-2011, 10:19am

The truth of that matter is that Alzheimer's disease, in and of itself, will not kill you.

Instead, people afflicted with Alzheimer's will often linger, assisted by modern medicine. But there are a couple of factors that work against those with Alzheimer's.

One, Alzheimer's generally strikes older people (over 65). Two, the weakened state caused by an Alzheimer's patient's inability to take care of herself leads to other complications, infections and diseases that lead to death.

Read more: How Does Alzheimer's Disease Kill? | LIVESTRONG.COM (http://www.livestrong.com/article/17567-alzheimers-disease-kill/#ixzz1Skm61prW)

onedef92
07-21-2011, 10:21am
one who has the disease stops eating. they actually forget how. their natural instincts shut down.

saddest thing I ever done was try to feed my mom last year when she was near the end.

It is fukin' heart breaking.

:iagree: They don't call it "The Long Goodbye" and "The 1,000 Mile Stare" for nothing. :sadangel:

LATB
07-21-2011, 10:36am
:iagree: They don't call it "The Long Goodbye" and "The 1,000 Mile Stare" for nothing. :sadangel:

long and painful :sadangel:

LisaJohn
07-21-2011, 11:10am
It's a terrible thing to deal with. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Some days my grandmother knows my name.

Scissors
07-21-2011, 11:21am
Heard that on the news this morning, during a commercial for some walk-a-thon.
first off, I'm not making light of the disease, but this statement is grossly inaccurate.
it's like saying people die of AIDS. No one has died of AIDS, you die from a secondary disease that is contracted when you have no immune system.

I don't really know where I was going with this, but I felt like saying it.

There's proximate cause and then there's direct cause.

Example: Some bitch runs you off of the road and you hit a tree and die.
Proximate cause of your death: Some bitch ran you off of the road.
Direct cause of your death: You hit a tree.

The CDC does recognize it as being sixth:

Number of deaths for leading causes of death
Heart disease: 616,067
Cancer: 562,875
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 135,952
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 127,924
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 123,706
Alzheimer's disease: 74,632
Diabetes: 71,382
Influenza and Pneumonia: 52,717
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 46,448
Septicemia: 34,828
FASTSTATS - Deaths and Mortality (http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm)

Some things are simply best left lumped together, like accidents and Alzheimer's disease.