PDA

View Full Version : Step away from the DIY R134A recharge cans

Bob CTS
07-20-2011, 7:58pm
If you do not know anything about automotive AC systems then it is best to step away from the DIY cans at the auto parts store.

So my friend drops off his Chevy truck and says the compressor is cycling and the air is not cold. I just got done fixing it, was blowing out 40* air, but since then more freon was added to the AC system unbeknown to me. I had my gauges on it and just as I was trying to disconnect the cycle switch the gauge hit 450psi :omg: on the high and blew the seal in the back off the compressor. :beat: Back of compressor was already damp with oil so must have had a slight leak for the last few days.

So new seals and most likely a compressor.

clutchdust
07-21-2011, 11:26am
Automotive AC systems are a pain in the ass. The compressor on the c5 ate itself like a lesbian contortionist. I know enough about AC to be dangerous, I have an associates in HVAC tech but no practical experience. So I think I can fix this. I replace the compressor, per the instructions in the FAQ section "over there" and at first everything looks good. A month later, the damn thing starts blowing the relief valve on the back of the pump. Some people say you can clean the condenser, some say to replace it. I'm in the replacement camp now. I pulled the orifice and found a bunch of the old compressor was still in the old condenser, and now in my new orifice and who knows where else. So I just replaced the old condenser and it's doing it again. Talked to a guy I know yesterday, he says I'll probably have to flush the system a couple more times before I finally get all the shit out of the system. :rolleyes:

mrvette
07-21-2011, 12:09pm
I been working on auto a/c systems for decades, one of the more simple systems out there, I think....

only compressors I know of that shoot crap through the coils is the R4

never had another issue....

hell, I just hard solder up some adaptors, and use my R12 old gauge set for the 134 install, been doing it for years now.....

:lol::cheers:

onedef92
07-21-2011, 12:22pm
You need to talk to SunCr over at "the other place." That joker's forgotten more about automotive HVAC then most of us will ever know.

xXBUDXx
07-21-2011, 1:06pm
I been working on auto a/c systems for decades, one of the more simple systems out there, I think....

only compressors I know of that shoot crap through the coils is the R4

never had another issue....

hell, I just hard solder up some adaptors, and use my R12 old gauge set for the 134 install, been doing it for years now.....

:lol::cheers:

People have been attempting time travel for years as well. That doesn't mean they are doing it correctly.

Bob CTS
07-21-2011, 4:18pm
You need to talk to SunCr over at "the other place." That joker's forgotten more about automotive HVAC then most of us will ever know.

When I had my c4 spoke to him alot. Very sharp and new his stuff.

LATB
07-21-2011, 6:44pm
People have been attempting time travel for years as well. That doesn't mean they are doing it correctly.

snap :rofl:

Bob CTS
07-21-2011, 6:51pm

Also CFI-EFI is pretty sharp also.

F40
07-21-2011, 7:44pm
Huh.. I taught more iz always more bedder :confused5:

Bob CTS
07-21-2011, 7:57pm
Huh.. I taught more iz always more bedder :confused5:

not always. :leaving: