PDA

View Full Version : Okay Dixie and other Space geeks....

RonC5
07-20-2011, 4:09pm
Discovery heading to the VAB... Correction, these are all of the last shuttle flight Atlantis, don't know why I had Discovery on the brain.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/RonC5/DSC_2971.jpg

Crew of Discovery's last flight heading to the pad....

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/RonC5/DSC_0019.jpg

On the pad....

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/RonC5/DSC_3240.jpg

and Launch...

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/RonC5/IMG_2535.jpg

BuckyThreadkiller
07-20-2011, 4:11pm
Why does Discovery have "Atlantis" painted on the fuselage?

mrvette
07-20-2011, 4:13pm

GOOD catch, GEEK!!!!

:hurray::cheers:

C5SilverBullet
07-20-2011, 4:13pm

:rofl::rofl:

prospero63
07-20-2011, 4:17pm

:rofl::rofl:

RonC5
07-20-2011, 4:24pm

Crap, copied the wrong picture.

C5SilverBullet
07-20-2011, 4:27pm

The second one says Atlantis too.

prospero63
07-20-2011, 4:35pm

He's just making this shit up to look "internet cool". The shuttle probably isn't even flying right now. :leaving:

Datawiz
07-20-2011, 4:38pm

:slap:

:rofl:

mikeg826
07-20-2011, 4:51pm

It's Discovery's stunt double

Kevin_73
07-20-2011, 4:52pm

You do know that Discovery is already retired, and it is the orbiter Atlantis that is flying the last mission, don't you? :D

prospero63
07-20-2011, 4:53pm
You do know that Discovery is already retired, and it is the orbiter Atlantis that is flying the last mission, don't you? :D

That's crazy talk. He's gonna find the pictures of discovery. Just you wait.

RonC5
07-20-2011, 4:55pm

Yes, that would be because they are from the same group of pictures.

GRN ENVY
07-20-2011, 5:19pm

:iagree:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dad, you are slipping

ZipZap
07-20-2011, 5:37pm
...and that picoSat that got deployed early this morning as the last deployment of the shuttle program, yep that was ours:hurray:

Space Shuttle Releases Final Satellite Into Orbit | PicoSat | Atlantis STS-135 Final Space Shuttle Mission | Space.com (http://www.space.com/12354-final-space-shuttle-satellite-deployment-picosat.html)

DukeAllen
07-20-2011, 5:38pm
He's just making this shit up to look "internet cool". The shuttle probably isn't even flying right now. :leaving:

It's still sitting in the same studio they filmed the moon landings in:D

Rob
07-20-2011, 5:54pm
I hate that I never got to see a launch in person, but I id get to fly a simulator at Space Camp many years ago.

:cheers:

Thanks for the pics

78SA
07-20-2011, 6:25pm

:iagree: :lol:

RonC5
07-20-2011, 6:27pm

Yes, I do indeed. If I can make it to my office by 6 in the morning, I will snap shots of Atlantis on final approach as it goes over my office at around 1200 feet. If not, I will try and get out to the landing facility and grab a few shots. And in case you haven't figured it out, I work at KSC.

Rotorhead
07-20-2011, 6:40pm
Yes, I do indeed. If I can make it to my office by 6 in the morning, I will snap shots of Atlantis on final approach as it goes over my office at around 1200 feet. If not, I will try and get out to the landing facility and grab a few shots. And in case you haven't figured it out, I work at KSC.

Damn. I will be on the road to F. Lauderdale at that time and will miss the boom. One of the helicopters I maintain is based out of KSC. He is having to move.

NB2K
07-20-2011, 7:01pm
I hate that I never got to see a launch in person, but I id get to fly a simulator at Space Camp many years ago.

Thanks for the pics

I got to land the Shuttle in the simulator at JSC.:D

wwomanC6
07-20-2011, 8:58pm
Houston.......we have a problem!

Stangkiller
07-20-2011, 10:46pm

Thanks for the pics

Karen and I got to fly the real training simulator here at JSC a 2 years ago.

I got to land the Shuttle in the simulator at JSC.:D

joecaver
07-21-2011, 3:55am

:rofl::rofl: OMG i almost blew coffee all over my screen. :rofl::rofl: That is some funny chit right there. :rofl::rofl:

RonC5
07-21-2011, 5:48am
Atlantis' last touchdown....

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/RonC5/STS135AtlantisLast.jpg

I didn't make it here in time, photo courtesy of one of our Engineers.

Superstreet
07-21-2011, 6:25am
Atlantis' last touchdown....

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/RonC5/STS135AtlantisLast.jpg

I didn't make it here in time, photo courtesy of one of our Engineers.

Another safe trip. We watched the landing this morning too.

To the space shuttle program. :sadangel: (And more people looking for jobs)

NB2K
07-21-2011, 6:40am
Another safe trip. We watched the landing this morning too.

To the space shuttle program. :sadangel: (And more people looking for jobs)

It's fitting that it landed in the semi-darkness.

That's where we are in human spaceflight.

erickpl
07-21-2011, 6:54am
I was watching it in the main auditorium here at Marshall. Truly bittersweet. Incredible successes but it is all history now.

Great photo.

Were you one of the ones around the shuttle checking things out afterwards? There seemed to be a decent size of people around it - not in any kind of uniform either. One guy looked like he staggered from the beaches to check it out! :rofl:

RonC5
07-21-2011, 7:07am
I was watching it in the main auditorium here at Marshall. Truly bittersweet. Incredible successes but it is all history now.

Great photo.

Were you one of the ones around the shuttle checking things out afterwards? There seemed to be a decent size of people around it - not in any kind of uniform either. One guy looked like he staggered from the beaches to check it out! :rofl:

No, wasn't out at the landing. Heading out there around 9 for the home coming party, will have mor pics later today.

Bucwheat
07-21-2011, 11:01am
Man,as bad as that thing looks it's a good thing it won't be fling again.

mikeg826
07-21-2011, 11:04am
...and that picoSat that got deployed early this morning as the last deployment of the shuttle program, yep that was ours:hurray:

Space Shuttle Releases Final Satellite Into Orbit | PicoSat | Atlantis STS-135 Final Space Shuttle Mission | Space.com (http://www.space.com/12354-final-space-shuttle-satellite-deployment-picosat.html)

:cool: You name it for Pico from CFOT early days?

BuckyThreadkiller
07-21-2011, 11:12am
As a kid who grew up fascinated by the "Space Age" I'd like to thank all of the VB folks around the country who helped put Americans in space for all these years. In Titusville, at Marshall, JSC, JPL and where ever you may be. Thank you.

Like Dixie, I never got to see a launch but I've done the Level 9 tour at JSC and been to air and space museums all over the country. I cannot believe that this marks the end of human spaceflight capabilities for the USA and hope that somebody in DC gets their head out of their butt. Or better still, that Elon Musk or Armadillo Aerospace get the private sector into orbit sooner rather than later.

I'd like for Mr. Obama and the administrators of NASA to explain this: Did we really "win" the space race if we now have to buy rides from the Russians to get to our space station?

mikeg826
07-21-2011, 11:18am
As a kid who grew up fascinated by the "Space Age" I'd like to thank all of the VB folks around the country who helped put Americans in space for all these years. In Titusville, at Marshall, JSC, JPL and where ever you may be. Thank you.

:iagree::cheers::cheers:

Like Dixie, I never got to see a launch but I've done the Level 9 tour at JSC and been to air and space museums all over the country. I cannot believe that this marks the end of human spaceflight capabilities for the USA and hope that somebody in DC gets their head out of their butt. Or better still, that Elon Musk or Armadillo Aerospace get the private sector into orbit sooner rather than later.

Haven't had the pleasure of visiting any of the space centers, but I might take my daughter to Wallops while on vacation in September.

I'd like for Mr. Obama and the administrators of NASA to explain this: Did we really "win" the space race if we now have to buy rides from the Russians to get to our space station?

:lol: was thinking the same thing, how full circle this "space race" has come - the one country we were trying to beat, we now depend upon to further our program. :(

:cool: little graphic about the next shuttle.

BBC News - The shuttle's successors (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14089297)

Superstreet
07-21-2011, 11:22am

NS! :kick:

We totally lucked out on seeing a launch. The original launch date of the space shuttle Discovery was delayed to the second week of March when we were in Florida and we were able to watch an evening launch. I need to find the pics and video. Pretty awesome watching the exhaust from the launch turn from white/gray to a reddish color when it reached high enough in the sky to hit the sun rays.

erickpl
07-21-2011, 12:00pm
Haven't had the pleasure of visiting any of the space centers, but I might take my daughter to Wallops while on vacation in September.

I've been to HQ, Goddard, Langley, Ames, and worked at Dryden and am currently at Marshall.

If you get a chance to visit one of the space centers they're worth it. The research at Langley, Dryden, and Ames is damned impressive too.

Dryden has some cool aircraft! :)

Here is Atlantis on reentry as seen by the ISS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/skimblz/bbae003c.jpg

erickpl
07-21-2011, 12:02pm
Man,as bad as that thing looks it's a good thing it won't be fling again.

That's from the reentry heating and gets cleaned up after the mission.

RonC5
07-21-2011, 12:28pm
Atlantis outside of the processing facility!

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/RonC5/DSCF2256.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/RonC5/DSCF2252.jpg

NB2K
07-21-2011, 12:41pm
Just was talking to some accountants in a meeting...

The end of the program came up and I got so choked up I damn near had to leave the room.

I reckon OM's gonna have to come over and rabbit-punch me.

Stangkiller
07-21-2011, 12:47pm
Just was talking to some accountants in a meeting...

The end of the program came up and I got so choked up I damn near had to leave the room.

I reckon OM's gonna have to come over and rabbit-punch me.

I've teared up at pretty much every launch I've been to. The end of this program with NO goals or plans in place really just make me more mad than anything else.

erickpl
07-21-2011, 3:38pm
I've teared up at pretty much every launch I've been to. The end of this program with NO goals or plans in place really just make me more mad than anything else.

X2, but I haven't been to a launch. :(

RonC5, thanks for the pics. Those of us at the other centers appreciate the work that goes on at JSC and KSC to put those men and women into space!