PDA

View Full Version : I know this is a poor place to ask.... Geek Question

Uncle Pervey
07-20-2011, 3:27pm
I went to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on a server I just finished building. Copied the distribution from MSDN put the compressed exe on the machine.
Tried to run the exe, got this message. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to acess the item."
I am an Admin, logged into an Admin account, I have full read, write, execute, delete permissions to every drive on the box. The file is not read only.
These are the things I've tried.
Disable DEP in the boot.ini
Removed the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration
Rebooted a couple of times.
The really strange thing is it only effects things that are on the local drives. If I map to a network drive and exectute the install it opens up and starts running, but when it is on a local drive it will not allow me to run the install program (actually it is a compressed exe and it won't expand.)
I have looked at and tried every fix I have found on google with no luck, I am getting desperate. :leaving:

JStockton
07-20-2011, 3:31pm
Something to try.
If you copied them off of a CD they could have the attribute of Read Only, I would right click the folder and reset the Security to Full Control on everything including subfolders.

NeedSpeed
07-20-2011, 3:32pm
Maybe you need to install it from the disc, it may be looking for it.

prospero63
07-20-2011, 3:34pm
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Windows+cannot+access+the+specified+device%2C+path+or+file.+You+may+not+have+the+appropriate+permissions+to+acess+the+item)

Uncle Pervey
07-20-2011, 3:52pm
Where are you running the executable from?
Local drive on the server.

Something to try.
If you copied them off of a CD they could have the attribute of Read Only, I would right click the folder and reset the Security to Full Control on everything including subfolders.
Nope, RO attributes are not set.

Maybe you need to install it from the disc, it may be looking for it.
Nope, got it from Microsoft Direct as a self extracting exe, can't run the exe on the server. The exe expands correctly on my XP box.

Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Windows+cannot+access+the+specified+device%2C+path+or+file.+You+may+not+have+the+appropriate+permissions+to+acess+the+item)

RIF Pisstater RIF I have looked at and tried every fix I have found on google with no luck

:leaving:

xXBUDXx
07-20-2011, 3:58pm
The tracking needs to be adjusted. :leaving:

prospero63
07-20-2011, 4:11pm
Check your free space.

mrvette
07-20-2011, 4:16pm
Getanewcomputer and massage the old hard drive into giving up the info....

:hurray::seeya:

Uncle Pervey
07-20-2011, 4:59pm
Check your free space.

I've got 976GB of a 1 TB raid 5 array! :leaving:

Skia
07-20-2011, 5:04pm
I've got 976GB of a 1 TB raid 5 array! :leaving:That.....I would say is close to having plenty of space. :yesnod:

Skia
07-20-2011, 5:08pm
Nope.

Try almost 12 TB for a backup server. :D

I could make use of 12 TB.Well there you go.....I am know where close to knowing shit in a "geek" thread. I just needed the post count. :D :leaving:

prospero63
07-20-2011, 5:18pm
Sounds like you need to find someone younger and smarter to do it. :leaving:

NCC-1701
07-21-2011, 7:04am
I'll give you my real to real it can store data on the tape for you no need for a server...:D

Kuelblaz
07-21-2011, 8:25am
I went to install SQL Server 2008 R2 on a server I just finished building. Copied the distribution from MSDN put the compressed exe on the machine.
Tried to run the exe, got this message. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to acess the item."
I am an Admin, logged into an Admin account, I have full read, write, execute, delete permissions to every drive on the box. The file is not read only.
These are the things I've tried.
Disable DEP in the boot.ini
Removed the Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration
Rebooted a couple of times.
The really strange thing is it only effects things that are on the local drives. If I map to a network drive and exectute the install it opens up and starts running, but when it is on a local drive it will not allow me to run the install program (actually it is a compressed exe and it won't expand.)
I have looked at and tried every fix I have found on google with no luck, I am getting desperate. :leaving:

Are you networking into the server or logged in directly? If netowrked in, the install package might not recognize the server local drives as 'local'
Sent an email to my brother who's a professional server geek ... maybe he has an idea

pappytinker
07-21-2011, 10:54am
If you have not already seen this, might this help;

Active Directory Users, Computers, and Groups (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727067.aspx)