PDA

View Full Version : The Mane Event: Fire squad pulls racehorse from Fla. swimming pool

onedef92
07-20-2011, 6:49am
Fire squad pulls racehorse from Fla. swimming pool

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 6:49 AM EDT
Updated: Jul 20, 2011 7:09 AM EDT

MELBOURNE, Fla. - A force of specially trained firefighters got the call when a 6-year-old former racehorse took a 5-hour dip in a Florida swimming pool.

Officials say three teenage boys were swimming Tuesday afternoon when the horse nosed its way into a screened-in enclosure in a neighborhood of equestrian estates. The boys tried to lead the horse away, but it got spooked and backed into the pool.

The teens and the homeowner tried to get the horse to walk up the pool stairs, but their efforts failed. They called a veterinarian and 911.

Brevard County Fire-Rescue spokesman Jeff Taylor says the team of firefighters was trained in animal-rescue.

They called in a wrecker, placed straps under the horse's belly and used the truck to lift the animal out of the water.

onedef92
07-20-2011, 6:50am
I rolled that one up for you, Michelle! :thumbs:

Barn Babe
07-20-2011, 7:03am
Thanks OD, right up my alley! I'm also trained in large animal rescue. I was a volunteer back in San Diego, our group invented the original harness they use to haul large animals out of trouble using helicopters.

Glad this story had a happy ending. :hurray:

onedef92
07-20-2011, 7:09am
Thanks OD, right up my alley! I'm also trained in large animal rescue. I was a volunteer back in San Diego, our group invented the original harness they use to haul large animals out of trouble using helicopters.

Glad this story had a happy ending. :hurray:

Me, too. Although we knew it would by the headline, didn't we? :winky:

Barn Babe
07-20-2011, 7:10am
Me, too. Although we knew it would by the headline, didn't we? :winky:

Yes, we did. :dance:

Yerf Dog
07-20-2011, 9:30am
Wrecker as in tow truck, or is there a specialized vehicle?