PDA

View Full Version : "Sorry for the inconvenience" [Long rant]

clutchdust
07-20-2011, 1:44am
I had forgotten why I hated Pep Boys, until today. A friend asked me to look at her car, a Hyundai Elantra. One of the CV joint boots ripped and flung out all the grease and the joint was running dry so it was not long for this world. I told her we needed to replace it before it left her on the side of the road. I did some calling and found a reman half shaft assembly at Pep Boys for $80. I told the counter guy that chick would be coming by to pick it up, then I told her to ask for "John" at the counter and he would already have it waiting.
So today I go over and start tearing into the axle. As soon as I get the wheel off I see we have a problem. The new axle is about a foot shorter than the one on the car. It still needs to come out so I pull the old unit and take it back to John at Pep Boys. "Oh, sorry, that's strange. This is the number that comes up for your car". Obviously it's not the right one because I'm not stretching this shaft 12" to fit in there. "Well the computer only shows two numbers, CV2183 (the one he sold chick) and CV2186. So I say "let's try CV2186 since CV2183 is obviously wrong". "OK, but I don't have it at this location. They have one at our Sunset store". Now I'm driving over to Sunset. Not a huge deal, but about six miles out of my way and I'm already over budget on time. I estimated the job to take 3-4 hours, which I would have been spot on had we gotten the right axle to begin with.
I get over to Sunset and they whip out the CV2186 and put it next to the old axle I just pulled out of the car. Hot damn, same length, I think we're in business! (Bolded for effect) I put the new shaft in, reconnect the strut, bolt everything back on all the way down to the rim. I start to jack up the car so I can remove my jackstands and ATF starts pouring out of the seal around the new axle. "Aw, shit" I think, I must have torn the seal when I installed the axle. I crawl under and look but as far as I can see everything looks cherry. WTF? After racking my brain for alternatives I pull everything back apart and pull the new axle out. I look but sure enough the seal looks beautiful. Just what the **** is going on? On a hunch I take a basic measurement and sure as shit the seal appears to be a solid 1/4" bigger in diameter than the seal surface of the shaft.
Back to Pep Boys. I talk to the manager of the store and we start banging ideas out. I think I must have gotten a manual axle shaft instead of one for an automatic. But we get another axle off the shelf and it's the same. Oh, and this is the store that has my core so we compare and sure as shit, the seal surface of the original shaft is visibly larger in diameter. Back to the other part number we go. Guess what? They don't have that fkr at that store either so off to a THIRD Pep Boys I go. This time they have the same part number, CV2183, I got the first time, but now this axle actually matches in length and all other relevant dimensions the axle that came out of the car. Apparently, the first axle I got was a completely different axle that was put in a box and marked with the number I needed. The second axle, I have no freakin' idea except that it was for a different tranny.
Finally have the right axle, I get back and put the car back together in about 45 minutes. So what should have taken no more than 4 hours, took 10 hours and trips to three different stores. And what do I get from Pep Boys? "Sorry for the inconvenience".
Won't be using those fkrs again.

oahuyahoo
07-20-2011, 1:59am
Oh and welcome to being self-employed. How ya doin' bud? Surgery went fine, damn I'm sore as hell. When they rolled me into my room and introduced me to Mr. Fentanyl Pump I knew exactly what I was in for. God am I over this chit.

Uri
07-20-2011, 3:56am
The cheap shaft saved you nothing in the end...............

VatorMan
07-20-2011, 6:05am
It's constant with parts houses. Not a damn one of them manning the counters have a frikken clue.
Then again, you did what I did with my wife. I sent her after front and rear struts for her car. She got the right ones, but if I would have gone I would have looked to see if they came with the strut boot. Of course, they didn't. A KNOWLEDGEABLE guy would have suggested that to the wife and she would have either bought them or called me.

lander
07-20-2011, 6:22am
Did the dude at the first store take up more than one parking space? :bigears:

Mark C5
07-20-2011, 8:04am
In the early 70's I went into a Pep Boys to get a water pump for my '69 427 Corvette. Without even looking in the catalog the counter guy says "We don't carry parts for Corvettes". I knew there was no sense arguing with him so I said fine, give me a water pump for a '69 396 Chevelle. He says "I can't sell you a Chevelle pump for your Corvette". Again, no sense arguing so I tell him my second car is a Chevelle and also needs a water pump. He sells me the pump and I'm on my merry way.

Haven't set foot in a Pep Boys since.

Montehall
07-20-2011, 8:09am
O'Reilys, Napa, or OEM. That's it for autoparts

Yerf Dog
07-20-2011, 8:11am
Pics of chick? :toetap:

ConstantChange
07-20-2011, 8:41am
Not a damn one of them manning the counters have a frikken clue.

JoeBuck to the white courtesy phone please. JoeBuck to the white courtesy phone.

Mike Mercury
07-20-2011, 12:39pm
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_g5EAAOkaGs4/TK-6LiWYj-I/AAAAAAAAAOo/xYCfn0Xox8U/s1600/Picture+18.png

kylebuck
07-20-2011, 12:51pm
JoeBuck to the white courtesy phone please. JoeBuck to the white courtesy phone.

You rang.

CP
07-20-2011, 3:15pm
Why didn't you just go to the Hyundai dealer and get the right part to begin with????

C5Nate
07-20-2011, 3:20pm
I had forgotten why I hated Pep Boys, until today. A friend asked me to look at her car, a Hyundai Elantra. One of the CV joint boots ripped and flung out all the grease and the joint was running dry so it was not long for this world. .

There was your first mistake, its a toss away car, should have just pitched it.

kylebuck
07-20-2011, 3:48pm
there was your first mistake, its a toss away car, should have just pitched it.

god i hate hyundai

mrvette
07-20-2011, 3:53pm
Why didn't you just go to the Hyundai dealer and get the right part to begin with????

Oh bullshit, you want anything dun rite you gotta doo it yerself.....

what planet your from JANET???

this is always the way it is.....from seals on up the list....ANY part....

I always take it off and check the angle of my dangle for freeplay and take it to the joint to check clearances....

:beat::lol::cheers:

C5Nate
07-20-2011, 3:57pm
Why didn't you just go to the Hyundai dealer and get the right part to begin with????Oh bullshit, you want anything dun rite you gotta doo it yerself.....

what planet your from JANET???

I believe he meant to "get the part" from the dealer, then do it himself.

I get (almost) all of my parts OEM from the dealer.

NB2K
07-20-2011, 4:00pm

:iagree: Fact.

mrvette
07-20-2011, 4:07pm

OH, you got the bux to pay 5x the price, and I admit I get a dealer break from knowing the guys....but I take the old part with me after being burnt like that on similar shit over the years.....

freeking import cars under any badge are the WORST, no two alike it seems....

this goes back to the 70's already....

ALWAYS take the old part to match it up.....

:seeya::sadangel::leaving:

vetteman9368
07-20-2011, 4:08pm

OEM $400
aftermarket $100

C5Nate
07-20-2011, 4:32pm
OH, you got the bux to pay 5x the price, and I admit I get a dealer break from knowing the guys....but I take the old part with me after being burnt like that on similar shit over the years.....

freeking import cars under any badge are the WORST, no two alike it seems....

this goes back to the 70's already....

ALWAYS take the old part to match it up.....

:seeya::sadangel::leaving:

:iagree: with the ALWAYS take the old part to match.

Nope, get OEM parts at cost +10%. Whatever the price listed at gmpartsdirect.com is usually what I pay except no shipping, they deliver.

Benefits of being a member of our local Corvette club, the dealer is our club sponsor and is one of Rick Hendricks dealers here in KC.

Dont have a clue on what import car parts cost. Dont have any and refuse to work on them for others.

LATB
07-20-2011, 4:56pm

Nope, get OEM parts at cost +10%. Whatever the price listed at gmpartsdirect.com is usually what I pay except no shipping, they deliver.

Benefits of being a member of our local Corvette club, the dealer is our club sponsor and is one of Rick Hendricks dealers here in KC.

Dont have a clue on what import car parts cost. Dont have any and refuse to work on them for others.

well wrap a flag around around this man and call him a Yankee Doodle Dandy. :lol:

C5Nate
07-20-2011, 5:30pm
well wrap a flag around around this man and call him a Yankee Doodle Dandy. :lol:

Well....OK.

http://www.profimedia.com/photo/muscular-man-wearing-american-flag-as-a/profimedia-0081985784.jpg

TheHammer
07-20-2011, 5:35pm
nothing any good can come from a rant that contains both Hyundai and Pep Boys in it

NB2K
07-20-2011, 7:05pm

But you didn't get to be aggravated having to stop what you are doing 3 effin times and run all over town so you can save a few bucks and still put a crappy part back in.

Certainly that has some value?

Petew1971
07-20-2011, 7:14pm
you type too much

Bill
07-20-2011, 8:35pm
I've been right where you were and know how frustrating that is. Relax, grab a cold one, and just remember that at the end of the day, nobody got hurt and everyone went home safe. Kinda puts things in perspective.

BADRACR1
07-20-2011, 9:25pm
I worked in parts stores in the early 80's. At the time I left they were just going to computers and college educated kids. I asked my area supervisor once what was going to happen when someone asks one of the "educated" kids how to install something or has a problem finding a part? OP makes my point.

LATB
07-20-2011, 9:30pm
Well....OK.

way to gay up the thread OEM dude :lol:

C5Nate
07-20-2011, 10:19pm
way to gay up the thread OEM dude :lol:

Hey, you are the one who requested it.:rofl:

kylebuck
07-21-2011, 12:20am
I worked in parts stores in the early 80's. At the time I left they were just going to computers and college educated kids. I asked my area supervisor once what was going to happen when someone asks one of the "educated" kids how to install something or has a problem finding a part? OP makes my point.

No op does not make a point.... in the 80's you didnt have the wide verity of cars. Hyundai, kia, acura. Shit like that didnt exist... it was still majority 302,350s and all

i get this every day man. "hey how does this work on a **insert random ass car/truck/boat trailer here **"
It really gets old being paid barley above minimum wage and having to trouble shoot problems people at a dealership get paid 4 or 5 dollars more to do. On top of everyone expecting you to know everything about their car.

Parts people are just that...they sell parts...