PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Jackets suck!!

69camfrk
07-19-2011, 9:00pm
Well, I don't like GA Tech either, but I'm actually talking about real ones. I was doing some yard work for my Mom today, and realized the hard way that she had a nest in the ground in one of her flower beds. Got popped on both wrists and my leg. I'm several hours after the stings and they are still throbbing. Those bastages will meet their little bee maker tomorrow!!!:beer:

Skia
07-19-2011, 9:02pm
Gasoline.....Match....pour gas in hole.....light match....throw in hole....No more yellow jackets....BTDT. :yesnod:

Blademaker
07-19-2011, 9:05pm
I got tagged on the left ear last week at the cabin. I had a section of tree that had blown down hooked up to the 4 wheeler and pulled it right through a nest.
Little bastards only got me once, 'cause I was one moving ass after the 1st sting........

JRD77VET
07-19-2011, 9:06pm
Gasoline.....Match....pour gas in hole.....light match....throw in hole....No more yellow jackets....BTDT. :yesnod:

Or fill the lawn mower with gas, start it and put it over the nest.

The vibration pisses them off and when they come out, they turn into "bee puree" :hurray:

Blademaker
07-19-2011, 9:06pm

Its more fun that way, but I've had better luck not igniting the gas, and let the fumes kill the nest.

kingpin
07-19-2011, 9:08pm
Nobody has used the front door at my house the past 3 weeks because of those bastards.
They are not yellowjackets but are a blueish black colour.
Thinking about emptying a can of brake cleaner on their ass and then run for the garage.
:D

Uncle Pervey
07-19-2011, 10:36pm
Nobody has used the front door at my house the past 3 weeks because of those bastards.
They are not yellowjackets but are a blueish black colour.
Thinking about emptying a can of brake cleaner on their ass and then run for the garage.
:D

Those aren't vicious like Yellow Jackets ... I had a mass of them on my front porch a few years back, squirted them with wasp killer, on of them fell down my shirt. It only stung me because I smushed him. The sting wasn't bad about like a honey bee.
http://bugguide.net/images/raw/TRSQ3RHQFRXQFRMQR0U0ORKQWR50JQX0DQRQ3RKQFRRQARRQNRG0BRM03Q90CRE0TQLQ3Q40YQ80UR.jpg
BTW, their primary source of food is the Black Widow Spider, swarms around your house could indicate you have a Black Widow infestation. :yesnod:

This what we call Yellow Jackets down in Texas, they are actually European Paper Wasps.
http://www.whitworthpestsolutions.com/images/paper-wasp.jpg

Here's what you folks call Yellow Jackets.

http://www.whitworthpestsolutions.com/images/yellow-jacket.png
I ran into those mofos up in New Jersey when at Ft. Dix.

CP
07-19-2011, 10:42pm
I found one and shoved a lit highway flare down the hole. Not one escaped. :hurray:

Iron Chef
07-19-2011, 11:27pm
Blue/Black ones and ones with thin midsection are mud daubers. Very beneficial and they don't bother humans.

Also...big mofos known as cicada killers...look like hornets but again are almost harmless to humans. I actually had one crawl all over my hand and then she just flew away. Scary looking as shit tho...

oahuyahoo
07-20-2011, 12:47am
I'm allergic, the antidote is almost worth going out and finding a nest of the bastiches.
Well, I don't like GA Tech either, but I'm actually talking about real ones. I was doing some yard work for my Mom today, and realized the hard way that she had a nest in the ground in one of her flower beds. Got popped on both wrists and my leg. I'm several hours after the stings and they are still throbbing. Those bastages will meet their little bee maker tomorrow!!!:beer:

Superstreet
07-20-2011, 6:36am
Blue/Black ones and ones with thin midsection are mud daubers. Very beneficial and they don't bother humans.

Also...big mofos known as cicada killers...look like hornets but again are almost harmless to humans. I actually had one crawl all over my hand and then she just flew away. Scary looking as shit tho...

:iagree: They eat spiders and bugs too.

I was saw a cicada killer attack a cicada on the ground,give it a bear hug and sting it to death. Kept it in a bear hug and flew off with it. Dayum!!!!!!

VatorMan
07-20-2011, 6:40am
KILL those bastards !! These SOB's are getting smart. Found a nest inside my deck handrail. How did I find it ? Walking down the deck,see a shitoad of YJ pouring out of a small hole in the handrail. I ran like a little girl. A full can of wasp killer (20 ft stuff) later, a pile of dead YJ. I HATE those things !!

Z06David
07-20-2011, 6:44am
I got stung on the foot by a big red wasp/hornet that we have around these parts. We've been at war for 2 months now, I'm winning.

onedef92
07-20-2011, 7:22am
Terminate with extreme prejudice. Them mofo's is evil incarnate.

SubZero
07-20-2011, 7:32am
I've got wasps that keep trying to build a nest under a couple of overhangs. I spray them and the nest and knock the nest down but they're back a week later trying to build a nest in the same damn spot. :kick:

G8rDMD
07-20-2011, 7:39am
Kill, recover bodies, painstakingly strip their exoskeletons and fabricate shoes for Liz :cheers:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s60/g8rdmd/LGPL34388-BSD.jpg

69camfrk
07-20-2011, 8:22am
I just got through putting the whoop ass on 'em. Found the hole and filled it with bee killer. Just for good measure, they will be getting some gas too. F'rs!!!:cheers:

onedef92
07-20-2011, 8:27am
I just got through putting the whoop ass on 'em. Found the hole and filled it with bee killer. Just for good measure, they will be getting some gas too. F'rs!!!:cheers:

Good. Them mofos deserve no less.

Barn Babe
07-20-2011, 8:34am
Those aren't vicious like Yellow Jackets ... I had a mass of them on my front porch a few years back, squirted them with wasp killer, on of them fell down my shirt. It only stung me because I smushed him. The sting wasn't bad about like a honey bee.
http://bugguide.net/images/raw/TRSQ3RHQFRXQFRMQR0U0ORKQWR50JQX0DQRQ3RKQFRRQARRQNRG0BRM03Q90CRE0TQLQ3Q40YQ80UR.jpg
BTW, their primary source of food is the Black Widow Spider, swarms around your house could indicate you have a Black Widow infestation. :yesnod:

This what we call Yellow Jackets down in Texas, they are actually European Paper Wasps.
http://www.whitworthpestsolutions.com/images/paper-wasp.jpg

Here's what you folks call Yellow Jackets.

I ran into those mofos up in New Jersey when at Ft. Dix.

So, which one was it? I was stung by one of the ones in the middle and my body took over before my brain could comprehend what had happened! It felt like I had slammed my finger in a door and my lips started tingling and stuff.... that was when I lost my "live and let live" lifestyle.

Z06David
07-20-2011, 8:41am
I've got wasps that keep trying to build a nest under a couple of overhangs. I spray them and the nest and knock the nest down but they're back a week later trying to build a nest in the same damn spot. :kick:

Same thing at my house, every week before i cut the grass i have to go spray the same damn corner

onedef92
07-20-2011, 8:47am
Same thing at my house, every week before i cut the grass i have to go spray the same damn corner

The obvious disadvantage of having a hive mentality.

w!ngnut
07-20-2011, 9:35am
I was on my motorcycle leading two other riders through some twisties in the NC mountains and all of a sudden had this crazy stinging pain in my chest that kept on hurting...I honestly thought..."am I having a freakin' heart attack" !?!?!?!?:wtf::rofl:

There wasn't much I could do at the moment with a rock wall on one side and a steep dropoff on the other so I just rode it out until I saw a place that I could pull over. Well I hopped off of the bike and started stripping my jacket and shirt off and then all of a sudden on my right side about waist level another pain started up...yep...hit again !! At that moment I saw the yellow jacket as he was flying away !!! :lol:

Not fun at all...especially since I was about 2 hours from home and we were getting ready to head back...it stung for a while but finally subsided.

onedef92
07-20-2011, 9:36am
I was on my motorcycle leading two other riders through some twisties in the NC mountains and all of a sudden had this crazy stinging pain in my chest that kept on hurting...I honestly thought..."am I having a freakin' heart attack" !?!?!?!?:wtf::rofl:

There wasn't much I could do at the moment with a rock wall on one side and a steep dropoff on the other so I just rode it out until I saw a place that I could pull over. Well I hopped off of the bike and started stripping my jacket and shirt off and then all of a sudden on my right side about waist level another pain started up...yep...hit again !! At that moment I saw the yellow jacket as he was flying away !!! :lol:

Not fun at all...especially since I was about 2 hours from home and we were getting ready to head back...it stung for a while but finally subsided.

Good thing you aren't allergic to them mofos. That could've ended badly.

Blademaker
07-20-2011, 9:39am

THATS the little bastard that got me.

w!ngnut
07-20-2011, 9:43am
Good thing you aren't allergic to them mofos. That could've ended badly.

Very true !! I've been stung by them once before...several years ago and once since and got hit twice every freakin' time but this was the only time while on the bike and away from home.

jeff w
07-20-2011, 9:48am
Have had them try and nest in the cage on our forklift here at work in the last couple weeks. HATE them bastages. I got stung in the chest once ~18 yrs ago and have a gnarly scar from it.

onedef92
07-20-2011, 9:53am

THATS the little bastard that got me.

That's a straight-up yellow jacket. At least that's what we call 'em in the Southeast.

My Dad got stung on his cheek by one while I was helping him clean out his storage shed.

A bunch of 'em built a hive inside an old patio umbrella that was stored inside the shed and they swarmed my Dad as he went to pick it up.

My Dad gassed them mofos with insecticide, then doused the umbrella with gasoline and torched it.

Superstreet
07-20-2011, 10:00am
So, which one was it? I was stung by one of the ones in the middle and my body took over before my brain could comprehend what had happened! It felt like I had slammed my finger in a door and my lips started tingling and stuff.... that was when I lost my "live and let live" lifestyle.

The ones you are referring to are paper wasps.

onedef92
07-20-2011, 11:31am
Have had them try and nest in the cage on our forklift here at work in the last couple weeks. HATE them bastages. I got stung in the chest once ~18 yrs ago and have a gnarly scar from it.

A high school buddy of mine nearly dropped his motorcyle at speed on the highway after one clipped him in the eye at more than 60 mph.

He said he saw it darting toward him, but it was too late to take evasive action. He now wears a visored helmet every time he rides.

CP
07-20-2011, 3:06pm

Best investment I ever made was to have the guy painting my house put insect repellent in the paint. I have NO wasp nests or even spiders under my eaves. :hurray: He did say it was expensive.

78SA
07-20-2011, 3:22pm
:beat:

carlton_fritz
07-20-2011, 3:44pm
Kill, recover bodies, painstakingly strip their exoskeletons and fabricate shoes for Liz :cheers:

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s60/g8rdmd/LGPL34388-BSD.jpg
:rofl: Liz will love that.

carlton_fritz
07-20-2011, 3:46pm
Meat tenderizer takes away the sting.

Silverspeed
07-20-2011, 3:50pm
T

Based on this quote:

"Paper wasps normally go about their business pretty much unnoticed. Most native (US) species make relatively small nests and locate them in out-of-the-way places. They are not aggressive so there is little threat of swarming."

European Paper Wasp, Nests, Polistes dominulus, Paperwasp (http://www.livingwithbugs.com/epw.html)

I am pretty sure there are actual yellow jackets in Texas, as I have seen them swarm and be VERY aggressive. Either that, or whoever wrote that article doesn't know what they are talking about. :yesnod:

The_Dude
07-20-2011, 4:22pm
Back in the '80s, I used to work in the woods thinning trees on old logging units. On certain units, they'd be everywhere. Nests in the trees, and in the ground. Yellow jackets and bald faced hornets. I'd be walking along, cutting trees, minding my own business, and they'd come boiling out of the ground, under my feet. After getting stung a few times, I learned not to drop my running saw on the nest, as it was pretty difficult to retrieve without getting stung again. We learned to look everywhere for them before cutting a tree. When they were really thick, it would really slow us down. I also learned that if I went back early in the morning and dumped gas into the nest (no match), it would kill the nest.

Uncle Pervey
07-20-2011, 4:57pm
Based on this quote:

"Paper wasps normally go about their business pretty much unnoticed. Most native (US) species make relatively small nests and locate them in out-of-the-way places. They are not aggressive so there is little threat of swarming."

European Paper Wasp, Nests, Polistes dominulus, Paperwasp (http://www.livingwithbugs.com/epw.html)

I am pretty sure there are actual yellow jackets in Texas, as I have seen them swarm and be VERY aggressive. Either that, or whoever wrote that article doesn't know what they are talking about. :yesnod:

They are full-o-shit, those mofos are as mean as they come. Sure they'll leave you alone if you stay 20 feet away from their nest and don't make the wrong noise.
I read that and thought it was written by a bug lover who thinks everything in nature should be cherished. Feck that shit! I'd like to find a parasite that would kill all those yellow and brown bastards! My favorite way to kill them is WD-40 (with the straw in the nozzle) and lighter. It's like napalm on the nests. :yesnod:

onedef92
07-21-2011, 10:25am
Meat tenderizer takes away the sting.

Do does a dab of Hot Sauce or Tobasco Sauce applied via Q-tip to the stung area.

Montehall
07-21-2011, 10:30am
when we moved into our house down here in TX, we hired some guys to clean out our barn, one of them started dragging an old mattress out and it was full of Yellow Jackets. He got stung 3 times, but brushed it off.
I told him I'd run out and pick up some stuff to kill them (my wife told me to get some wasp killer, I was going to get gasoline)
The dude just filled a 5-gallon bucket with soapy water, and dumped it on the mattress. Killed every single Yellow Jacket in there. It blocks thier pores and they suffocate in a matter or seconds.
I made a mental note of that.

69camfrk
07-21-2011, 10:36am
Back in the '80s, I used to work in the woods thinning trees on old logging units. On certain units, they'd be everywhere. Nests in the trees, and in the ground. Yellow jackets and bald faced hornets. I'd be walking along, cutting trees, minding my own business, and they'd come boiling out of the ground, under my feet. After getting stung a few times, I learned not to drop my running saw on the nest, as it was pretty difficult to retrieve without getting stung again. We learned to look everywhere for them before cutting a tree. When they were really thick, it would really slow us down. I also learned that if I went back early in the morning and dumped gas into the nest (no match), it would kill the nest.

They are also Ninjas. They had popped me three times before I saw them. I started moving after the first sting and still got tore up. Those little bastages are gone now. Between good ol' bee killer and gasoline in their sorry little nest, they are graveyard dead!!