PDA

View Full Version : Who has a Quad?

Munch
07-19-2011, 3:35pm
I'm thinking about getting a Quad or 4 wheeler or whatever the kids are calling them these days so I'm looking for some insight from anyone has has one. I don't want the workhorse kind for towing a trailer and carrying heavy loads but the fast race around and terrorize the villagers kind.

I'm thinking something like a 450cc but I really don't know what I'm talking about. What do you have/recommend and why?

LATB
07-19-2011, 3:50pm
I had a Yamaha a few years back...Timberwolf 450 I believe...

get a 4 stroke, they are full of torque

high desert
07-19-2011, 3:52pm
I have a bunch of quads. My favorite is a Polaris Outlaw with a 525 KTM engine and IRS. It is the quickest production quad on the market. Loads of fun, but n00bs should be careful on a quad like this.
My son has a Honda TRX400 that may be a better choice if you've never ridden before.
Outlaw KTM 525 IRS
http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l636/high_desert1/outlawktmirs.jpg

6spdC6
07-19-2011, 3:52pm
I'm thinking about getting a Quad or 4 wheeler or whatever the kids are calling them these days so I'm looking for some insight from anyone has has one. I don't want the workhorse kind for towing a trailer and carrying heavy loads but the fast race around and terrorize the villagers kind.

I'm thinking something like a 450cc but I really don't know what I'm talking about. What do you have/recommend and why?

I have a Suzuki 500 (4 stroke) about eight years old and its very dependable and a bit on the quick side. I ride the trails a bit but got it moistly to go back and forth on my 1/4 mile driveway (mail & trash runs) and a bit farther to the beach. All the people on the lake have something like this (all different makes of course) Its used in all weather all seasons. that goes from -25 to 95 degrees.

I see you mentioned kids. there have been a lot of deaths and serious injury involving kids and drunk adults.

You got to be careful out there!:cheers:

TexasBulldog
07-19-2011, 3:54pm
I have 2 Raptors, i just don't have much to do with them anymore. Im probably going to take them back to CA next time i take a road trip and sell them there.

they are TONS of fun... seriously some of the most fun ive ever had and passing my sea-doo's, boats, 2 wheel motorcycles and ALMOST as fun as my Sandrail...

DukeAllen
07-19-2011, 3:58pm
Oh I thought this was a geek thread about quat-core processors. :leaving:

I thought it was about Oldsmobiles.:slap:

cmb396
07-19-2011, 4:41pm
What kind of riding do you want to do? Trail, desert, need to do work with?

bearstrail
07-19-2011, 4:46pm

Good questions to consider. if you want to work with it, get a Honda.

I have a BRP Outlander 500XT that I've had great luck with both as a trail rider and plowing.

The_Dude
07-19-2011, 5:17pm

:withstupid: There are several different styles depending on what kind of riding you'll be doing.

ZipZap
07-19-2011, 5:20pm
I'm actually looking for a utility quad at the moment. A used 2010 Grizzly 700 would fit the bill nicely, although some of the deals I see on new 2009's and 2010's are pretty hard to pass up.

Check out this site. They have a lot to look at...

Quad Hunter - every used ATV for sale! (http://www.quadhunter.com/)

And btw, these workhorses will do 60 mph, which is plenty fast for me

Munch
07-19-2011, 5:20pm
No work! Race up and down the streeet, tear through the orchards and trails and possibly the sand dunes. I'd even take it through the snow if it could do it.

Oh yeah... and take it over some sweet jumps.

Datawiz
07-19-2011, 5:22pm
FWIW, I posted a picture of a well-known, now deceased celebrity and deleted it. I know better than that. :slap:

ZipZap
07-19-2011, 5:25pm
FWIW, I posted a picture of a well-known, now deceased celebrity and deleted it. I know better than that. :slap:

Pic of his wife would have been funnier...:leaving:

Munch
07-19-2011, 5:28pm

:bilmem:

Datawiz
07-19-2011, 5:37pm
Pic of his wife would have been funnier...:leaving:

I thought of that too. :leaving:

Low12s
07-19-2011, 10:37pm
A Quad will always be a Rochester.

cmb396
07-20-2011, 8:28am
No work! Race up and down the streeet, tear through the orchards and trails and possibly the sand dunes. I'd even take it through the snow if it could do it.

Oh yeah... and take it over some sweet jumps.

Yamaha 450 yfz, or look for a used honda 450. Or, you can get a new can am sport quad that are just plain badass out of the box! Depends on your budget.
My last quad was a modded Banshee, focker was ridiculously fast, but very fun. I now have a yamaha Rhino. Much slower but has plenty of room for a cooler on long rides!!:beer:

onedef92
07-20-2011, 8:31am
"Not I," said this cat. My neighbor, Josh, has one though.

War Eagle ZO6
07-20-2011, 8:42am
My good friend has a modded Banshee..........that thing is so fun/fast it is stupid. I prefer 2 wheels off road though.

TheHammer
07-20-2011, 9:09am
If you want the go fast quad, make sure you have open areas to ride, speed and immovable objects = long healing times.

I have a Kawasaki quad and tinker around trail riding in the timber. You can get some pretty good speeds depending upon the trails. Also, you can take a passenger and/or gear for hunts, long rides, etc.

Blademaker
07-20-2011, 9:32am
I got 2, a honda 250 and a polaris 700.
Loads o' fun. :yesnod: