PDA

View Full Version : WWII Images

jaxgator
07-19-2011, 1:02pm
This site had some very cool pix from WWII.

Captured: The Pacific and Adjacent Theaters in WWII | Plog ? World, National Photos, Photography and Reportage ? The Denver Post (http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/03/18/captured-blog-the-pacific-and-adjacent-theaters/#more-1547)

longhorn341
07-19-2011, 1:09pm
WTH is wrong with that judge? :crazy:

Holy unrelated post, Batman.

jaxgator
07-19-2011, 1:10pm
Holy unrelated post, Batman.

:lol: Mean for that to be another thread. fixt

longhorn341
07-19-2011, 1:11pm
:lol: Mean for that to be another thread. fixt

ninja edit fail. :lol:

jaxgator
07-19-2011, 1:17pm
ninja edit fail. :lol:

BIG time. Oh well, move along. Nothing to see here.

VatorMan
07-19-2011, 1:42pm
My Dad fought in the Philippines/Corrigedor. You see the photo of the soldiers on Corrigedor? That was MacArthur's headquarters located in a tunnel. I got to visit this in 1986 during a port visit to Subic. Our helo det flew the CO and a few others to Corrigedor for a wreath laying ceremony.

http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific023.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1311095511

erickpl
07-19-2011, 2:28pm
My Dad fought in the Philippines/Corrigedor. You see the photo of the soldiers on Corrigedor? That was MacArthur's headquarters located in a tunnel. I got to visit this in 1986 during a port visit to Subic. Our helo det flew the CO and a few others to Corrigedor for a wreath laying ceremony.

http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/albums/001/496/album-101361/cache/pacific023.sJPG_950_2000_0_75_0_50_50.sJPG?1311095511

My dad's cousin was captured by the Japanese on the Philippine islands and forced to march in the Bataan Death March.... He was one of the survivors.

Iron Chef
07-19-2011, 2:31pm
My Dad served on the Curtiss which was struck twice by Kamikazes.

Rifles fixed with bayonets. Holy crap...some brave men there.

Flatbush Harry
07-19-2011, 2:44pm
This site had some very cool pix from WWII.

Captured: The Pacific and Adjacent Theaters in WWII | Plog ? World, National Photos, Photography and Reportage ? The Denver Post (http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2010/03/18/captured-blog-the-pacific-and-adjacent-theaters/#more-1547)

Numbers 87 and 106 are probably among the two best known photos from the War.

My father's (Flatbush Freddie) first overseas posting was Port Moresby, (Papua)/New Guinea in 1943. Pictures of GIs toting M1s on New Guinea always remind me of him. I have only one pic left from then...one of him crouching on Buna beach in New Guinea when he was a corporal. He used to tell us the best part of being promoted to sgt. was swapping his M1 Garand for a M1 Carbine. He also told me if I was going to serve, be an AF pilot...best job out there for a gentleman. Turns out he was right.

:flag:

Flatbush Harry, 2Lt, USAFR (ret)
1968-1971

jaxgator
07-19-2011, 2:52pm

Yup, and man! Are those ever bayonets. Damn near sword length.

Superstreet
07-19-2011, 2:54pm
Impressive pictures,for sure! :USA:

Flatbush Harry
07-19-2011, 3:01pm

16" pre-cut-down length. My unissued M5A1 Bayo for my Garands is only 8". As I like to say, 8" is all I'll ever need.

yrarH

jaxgator
07-19-2011, 4:08pm
16" pre-cut-down length. My unissued M5A1 Bayo for my Garands is only 8". As I like to say, 8" is all I'll ever need.

yrarH

:lol:

LATB
07-19-2011, 4:23pm
My Dad served on the Curtiss which was struck twice by Kamikazes.

my dad has the scar on his left torso from a bayonet...he was a Marine on the front lines in Korea...the "Frozen Chosin"...

back then you waited days or weeks for medic attention...he used snow to "dress" the wound for about a week before he was taken to a medic post and fixed up.

My dad was at a real M.A.S.H. unit. and he didn't much like the TV show...he told me back in early '70's when the show aired..."Hollywood wants to make it look glamorous...there is NOTHING glamorous about a M.A.S.H. unit."

He doesn't like to talk about it much. A lot of pain there. :sadangel:

jaxgator
07-19-2011, 4:39pm
He doesn't like to talk about it much. A lot of pain there. :sadangel:

My dad has never spoken much about his Vietnam tour. He was a door gunner in a Huey. Used to take troops out to the field and bring wounded back.

LATB
07-19-2011, 4:48pm
My dad has never spoken much about his Vietnam tour. He was a door gunner in a Huey. Used to take troops out to the field and bring wounded back.

I understand.

It was when I turned around 40 or so...I cornered him, and he told me a few stories...they were not pretty. And, I was sworn to secrecy...especially to my sisters.

He also told me when he was over there, figuring he wasn't coming back alive...he swore if he ever made it home alive and had a son...he would do everything in his power to keep him from that hell...

It's why I was highly discouraged from entering the Navy. I wanted to join in 1977 and see the world...dad handed me a hammer and said, "go to work son, you ain't going there". little did he know, I probably would never seen any action...but he was determined, and wasn't gonna take the chance.

I was a young man (boy) and had to respect him. So, I became a carpenter instead of a sailor.

I am, however...The Son of a Son of a Sailor. :yesnod: :cheers:

Norm
07-19-2011, 4:52pm

That's one of the entrances to the Malinta Tunnel on Corregidor. Visited there some years ago, it is one awesome place. Military WWII history from both sides is just everywhere on the island. Wish I could have spent more time there. There is a museum on top of the island that is dedicated to General Douglas MacArthur.

jaxgator
07-19-2011, 5:03pm
I understand.

It was when I turned around 40 or so...I cornered him, and he told me a few stories...they were not pretty. And, I was sworn to secrecy...especially to my sisters.

He also told me when he was over there, figuring he wasn't coming back alive...he swore if he ever made it home alive and had a son...he would do everything in his power to keep him from that hell...

It's why I was highly discouraged from entering the Navy. I wanted to join in 1977 and see the world...dad handed me a hammer and said, "go to work son, you ain't going there". little did he know, I probably would never seen any action...but he was determined, and wasn't gonna take the chance.

I was a young man (boy) and had to respect him. So, I became a carpenter instead of a sailor.

I am, however...The Son of a Son of a Sailor. :yesnod: :cheers:

I understand as well and have never pressured him into discussing it but I know he has his demons.

I was the same with my oldest son as your dad was with you and not because I had ever experienced any action but more because my oldest has zero common sense. He'd be in action and someone would say, "Trey, keep your head down!" My son would look up and say, "What?!" Bam! Dead son.