PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV guy gets here today...

Cybercowboy
07-14-2011, 8:24am
to install the Whole House DVR setup. Says he's going to replace my DVR in the living room. I ask him if the new on has a connection to the OTA antenna because, as he knows, DirecTV does not carry CBS or Fox here in this market as of yet (it's always "maybe in the next 6 months", which has gone on for about five years now...)

So now he has to call in to get authorization to allow me to keep a piece of equipment that I absolutely need and will work with Whole House DVR (I checked already). WTF? :slap:

NB2K
07-14-2011, 8:30am
If DirecTv didn't have the best picture, I would can their ass in a heartbeat.
Installers are clueless as to what the company offers.

Cybercowboy
07-14-2011, 8:32am
OK, I think he's on board with what I want now. We will see how this pans out. Apparently he thought by keeping the old DVR we were going from three receiver/DVRs to four. No, we just need a new DVR that does the whole house and one new compatible receiver. The old DVR is compatible on its own.

The locals thing still pisses me off though. It really isn't totally DTV's fault, its our local affiliate that owns both Fox and CBS. They want too much money for the DTV rights. Apparently the guy that owns them also owns a Dish Network dealership. :rolleyes:

RedLS1GTO
07-14-2011, 8:32am
Installers are clueless as to what the company offers.

Every time I move, I end up talking the rep through the install. :slap:

Cybercowboy
07-14-2011, 8:35am
Every time I move, I end up talking the rep through the install. :slap:

I do every time too. :D

Cybercowboy
07-14-2011, 11:19am
Hah, I has Whole Home DVRs! :party:

Superstreet
07-14-2011, 11:29am

Sweet! :dance:

How has your mom been doing?

Cybercowboy
07-14-2011, 11:39am
Sweet! :dance:

How has your mom been doing?

She's fine, I think she is in Las Vegas with one of my sisters currently. She's living in Austin TX, her old house it all but gone now. The cleanup here in Joplin is about 40% complete now, more or less. Still a ton more to go.

BuckyThreadkiller
07-14-2011, 11:41am

Hey CC - I've been on the fence for this for a while. Does it replace the existing DVR? Mine's an HR20 and every rep I talk to gives me a different story and changes the price - I've been quoted everything from $199 to $399 to change my set-up.

How is Joplin doing?

Superstreet
07-14-2011, 11:42am
She's fine, I think she is in Las Vegas with one of my sisters right now. She's living in Austin TX now, her old house it all but gone now. The cleanup here in Joplin is about 40% complete now, more or less. Still a ton more to go.

Glad to hear. :cheers: Obviously,she is going to rebuild? Cleaning up,I am sure,is a huge task. Are they projecting dates when things will be getting closer to normal?

Cybercowboy
07-14-2011, 11:50am
Glad to hear. :cheers: Obviously,she is going to rebuild? Cleaning up,I am sure,is a huge task. Are they projecting dates when things will be getting closer to normal?

No she is not rebuilding and has several offers on her lot actually. The city/FEMA is doing the demolition in the affected areas and billing insurance companies (assuming the home was covered.) In Mom's case American Family allows about $4k for demolition, so the city will get that money and really it's worth it. Then the lot is hers to sell, she will probably get $15k-$20k for it.

Supposedly the city has until August 17th to get the cleanup done and they start allowing people to rebuild homes where there is nothing left but a lot. You can fix your house as long as you are not totally rebuilding it right now. They just don't want new construction in the affected areas unless you are a business and in that case you can rebuild as soon as you can get the lot cleared off. You may not have utilities yet though.

FEMA said it will charge the city $3 million a day for any cleanup that goes on past the 17th. I don't see how they will possibly be done and really I think they made this deadline because they wanted to city to stop people from rebuilding so the cleanup isn't slowed down. As far as I can tell the city has held up their part of the bargain and if FEMA starts billing the city it will be ridiculous.

xXBUDXx
07-14-2011, 11:51am
Should have showed him your handle.

Cybercowboy
07-14-2011, 11:57am
Hey CC - I've been on the fence for this for a while. Does it replace the existing DVR? Mine's an HR20 and every rep I talk to gives me a different story and changes the price - I've been quoted everything from $199 to $399 to change my set-up.

How is Joplin doing?

I kept my HR20 because it has an OTA antenna connection and it worked just fine with the new DVR and receiver they installed. Essentially they did this:

Installed ethernet network device by the existing HR20, unplugging my eithernet cable from the HR20 and into this device. It routes the internet to all other devices through the satellite cables.

Replaced H20 reciever in kitchen with new-style receiver. Also placed the power module there that feeds power to the DTV switch up in the attic.

Replaced H20 receiver in bedroom with new DVR that is the master for the system.

The installer also said that it will be about a month and they will have Fox and CBS on the dish. The contract is signed already, so when that happens I can ditch my OTA antenna altogether if I feel like it.

The new DVR doesn't really have any more room than my existing HR20 did. The only reason to replace the HR20 is if you a) only want one DVR for your Whole Home setup b) don't care about OTA antenna and don't care about losing your programming that's already recorded. Any recordings you do on the HR20 will show up on your other devices, it's just that the HR20 can't be the main DVR for the system.