PDA

View Full Version : It's Finally Started !!!

VatorMan
07-13-2011, 8:47am
:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Restaurant Bans Kids Younger Than 6 | XFINITY TV News (http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/blogs/2011/lifestyle/restaurant-bans-kids-younger-than-6-years-old/?cmpid=FCST_hero_hot)

Wish Pittsburgh wasn't so far away.

Will
07-13-2011, 8:55am
Dear Stephanie Kelley,

Go F*** yourself.

Regards,

Will

Will
07-13-2011, 8:58am
Dear Stephanie Kelley,

There are these things called "baby-sitters"

If you can't afford one, you really shouldn't be spending the money on eating out in the first place.

Die in a fire.

Warmest Wishes,

Will

VatorMan
07-13-2011, 8:59am
They have every right to do so AFAIK.

But just wait till they face their first lawsuit.

What could they be sued for ?

Will
07-13-2011, 9:01am
What could they be sued for ?

You can be sued for anything, anytime.

They would not lose, however. Age discrimination laws are designed to protect the elderly. You can do pretty much anything you want with regard to kids. Ask your local strip club how many times they've gotten sued for not allowing people to bring in their kids.

Barn Babe
07-13-2011, 9:03am
It's a shame that parents wont reel their own kids in, instead they ruin it for those of us with kids you wouldn't even know were in the restaurant. The 1 time my kid was inconsolable (end of a looooong vacation with a really messed up schedule) that kid was outside and my husband and I took turns eating or being outside with the baby. I was so embarrassed to have disturbed the other diners for the amount of time it took to figure out a cracker wouldn't work and rush him outside.

My kids are funny, too. If they see a kid running amok in a restaurant they'll point and say "look what that kid is doing." It's one of the few times they're allowed to point at and out somebody so that everybody can here...

As a private business, they should absolutely have the right to do this, it's just a freaking shame that they have to. :rolleyes:

Will
07-13-2011, 9:03am
Why? She doesn't have a right to be upset and voice her opinion about the restaurant's decision?

She does. And I have the right to tell the inconsiderate ass to f*** off.

If you bring your baby to a sit-down restaurant, you are literally worse than Hitler.

Mark C5
07-13-2011, 9:05am
Ask your local strip club how many times they've gotten sued for not allowing people to bring in their kids.

That could have something to do with laws prohibiting minors in such establishments, but I'm just guessing.

Will
07-13-2011, 9:08am
That could have something to do with laws prohibiting minors in such establishments, but I'm just guessing.

Are there actually any?

Mark C5
07-13-2011, 9:14am
Are there actually any?

I know there are in Florida and Virginia.

onedef92
07-13-2011, 9:15am
McDain's Owner Says 'Volume Can't Be Controlled' Under Age 6

POSTED: 1:24 pm EDT July 8, 2011

MONROEVILLE, Pa. -- Stephanie Kelley, of Trafford, has been a weekly customer of McDain's Restaurant and Golf Center. Not any more.

The eatery on Broadway Boulevard in Monroeville has decided to stop admitting young children, and she's the mother of a toddler.

"I can't believe this. I am offended. This is just an ignorant policy," Kelley told Team 4 investigator Jim Parsons.

In an email sent to loyal McDain's customers, owner Mike Vuick wrote, "Beginning July 16, 2011, McDain's Restaurant will no longer admit children under six years of age. We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

Read more: Noise Prompts Monroeville Restaurant To Ban Young Kids - Pittsburgh News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh (http://www.wtae.com/news/28488145/detail.html#ixzz1RzjYRDJ8)

Vuick explained his reasoning to Team 4 on Friday, saying, "I think it's the height of being impolite and selfish, and therefore, I instituted a policy."

The owner said he won't make exceptions with the new rule.

"Nothing wrong with babies, but the fact is you can't control their volume," Vuick said. "There may be restaurants that prefer to cater to such things. Not here."

Kelley's son, Jameson, is 13 months old. She had planned a July 16 dinner outing at McDain's with a group of 20 visiting family members from North Carolina, but Vuick told her he would not take the reservation if she plans to bring young Jameson.

"We really enjoy eating at McDain's, and Jameson is very well-behaved," Kelley said. "If they're so concerned about noise, what do they plan to do about the loud people at the bar?"

Customers who spoke with Parsons on Friday said children in the restaurant don't bother them, but they support Vuick's right to deny service.

"It's up to him. If he thinks they're a problem under 6, then I think the patrons should abide by that," Suzanne Swigart said.

"Out they go," Paul Swigart said. "if that's his determination, out they go."

Vuick said he's confident that a majority of his customers will support the new policy.

"We've had the place here for 22 years, and the restaurant for nine, and I've noticed in those nine years there are certain parents who can't leave their children at home," Vuick said.

"You know, their child -- maybe as it should be -- is the center of their universe. But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe."

Restaurants cannot ban senior citizens, because they're in a protected class under the law, but there is no law that protects children from being denied service.

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/news/28488145/detail.html#ixzz1Rzk147Im

Will
07-13-2011, 9:16am
Nothing in the state code of Virginia, but the town (Lexington) has ordinances basically banning strip clubs from even existing here. :lol:

Iron Chef
07-13-2011, 9:17am

If you bring your baby to a sit-down restaurant, you are literally worse than Hitler.

Easy cowboy... :rofl:

Yerf Dog
07-13-2011, 9:20am
"You know, their child -- maybe as it should be -- is the center of their universe. But they don't realize it's not the center of the universe."

:iagree:

LATB
07-13-2011, 9:21am
restaurant owners/property owners should be able to discriminate at will. :yesnod:

I just wish those in Florida would ban smoking ON THE ENTIRE PREMISIS!!!

I am sick & fukin tired of walking through the gauntlet of smokers by the door or having the smokers club park they asses outside on the patio area where some of us would like to dine w/o helping you smoke your fukin cancer sticks.

Assholes.

Will
07-13-2011, 9:22am
restaurant owners/property owners should be able to discriminate at will. :yesnod:

I just wish those in Florida would ban smoking ON THE ENTIRE PREMISIS!!!

I am sick & fukin tired of walking through the gauntlet of smokers by the door or having the smokers club park they asses outside on the patio area where some of us would like to dine w/o helping you smoke your fukin cancer sticks.

Assholes.

Pro-Tip: Don't visit South Carolina

Jeff '79
07-13-2011, 9:23am
I wish they had that law here when my kids were that old....It was pure hell for me to take them out, but the wife insisted.....:willy: Totally embarrassing for me, and unfair to the other people who are out just trying to relax.

lander
07-13-2011, 9:26am
Pro-Tip: Don't visit South Carolina

:nono: Greenville just passed an ordinance banning smoking at outdoor patio's and other outdoor areas of restaurants.

Iron Chef
07-13-2011, 9:30am
Kelley's son, Jameson, is 13 months old. She had planned a July 16 dinner outing at McDain's with a group of 20 visiting family members from North Carolina, but Vuick told her he would not take the reservation if she plans to bring young Jameson.

This ALWAYS happens.

"OHHHH...well we were GOING to have a party of 400, but NOWWW with this new rule..."

Sure you were.

And for the record, F young Jameson.

Will
07-13-2011, 9:33am
:nono: Greenville just passed an ordinance banning smoking at outdoor patio's and other outdoor areas of restaurants.

Greenville is "New South"

My Mom's side of the family all hail from that area.

You can still smoke in "Old South" parts of the state.

I actually like it even though I don't personally smoke. It's refreshing to walk into a place and be asked whether I want smoking or non-smoking. Their establishment, their right to choose to cater to smokers. Second-hand smoke is not nearly as bad as authoritarianism in my book.

If you don't like smoking, you are FREE to vote with your feet and your wallet and refuse to frequent an establishment that allows it. You're also free to run your own establishment and ban smoking on the premises.

LATB
07-13-2011, 9:38am

I actually like it even though I don't personally smoke. It's refreshing to walk into a place and be asked whether I want smoking or non-smoking. Their establishment, their right to choose to cater to smokers. Second-hand smoke is not nearly as bad as authoritarianism in my book.

If you don't like smoking, you are FREE to vote with your feet and your wallet and refuse to frequent an establishment that allows it. You're also free to run your own establishment and ban smoking on the premises.

Back when smoking was allowed in FL restaurants...I used to fuk w/ the hostesses that always asked: "do you have a smoking preference?"

I'd usually reply: "yes, imported opiated black hashish...is that on the menu this week?" :lol:

yell01
07-13-2011, 9:44am

:slap: My kids are 8 and 6 now and we've brought them to restaurants since they were babies and never once had a problem and never got anything but compliments as to how well behaved they are. It's not the kids it's stupid parents that are the problem. My kids even comment on bad kids.

VatorMan
07-13-2011, 9:45am
If you look, that's exactly what the owner said. But he can't ban one and not the other. So everyone gets it.

LATB
07-13-2011, 9:46am
If you look, that's exactly what the owner said. But he can't ban one and not the other. So everyone gets it.

I think a resturaunt/property should be allowed to discriminate at will.

Will
07-13-2011, 9:48am
Congrats on your amazing super kids that never once cried as babies in large, noisy, foreign places to them like restaurants.

Unfortunately there is no way for anyone to know upon entry that you're the rare super-parent and your kids will never once make a peep. Either the restaurant bans them completely, or the rest of us continue to suffer.

A baby-sitter for 2-3 hours will cost LESS than a meal for 2 people at a sit-down restaurant.

LATB
07-13-2011, 9:49am
Congrats on your amazing super kids that never once cried as babies in large, noisy, foreign places to them like restaurants.

Unfortunately there is no way for anyone to know upon entry that you're the rare super-parent and your kids will never once make a peep. Either the restaurant bans them completely, or the rest of us continue to suffer.

incorrect. see above

lander
07-13-2011, 9:50am

:lol: "New South"..."Old South"...been here over 20 years, never heard that shit before.

VatorMan
07-13-2011, 9:50am
I think a resturaunt/property should be allowed to discriminate against will.

fixed. :lol:

Will
07-13-2011, 9:51am
incorrect. see above

well, that may work in Lar's fantasy world, but here in the real world you have to do it uniformly to get away with it.

Not saying your way wouldn't be preferable, but the reality is the only 2 feasible choices are no ban or complete ban.

Will
07-13-2011, 9:53am
:lol: "New South"..."Old South"...been here over 20 years, never heard that shit before.

The culture in Greenville is quite a lot different than in say Columbia, or of course any of the smaller, more remote towns and areas. Lots of transplants, new growth, etc.

For reference my father's side is from Union County, an area that I much prefer over Greenville. Two different worlds. :cheers:

LATB
07-13-2011, 9:55am
well, that may work in Lar's fantasy world, but here in the real world you have to do it uniformly to get away with it.

Not saying your way wouldn't be preferable, but the reality is the only 2 feasible choices are no ban or complete ban.

so...

private property rights are now a fantasy?

lander
07-13-2011, 9:57am
The culture in Greenville is quite a lot different than in say Columbia, or of course any of the smaller, more remote towns and areas. Lots of transplants, new growth, etc.

For reference my father's side is from Union County, an area that I much prefer over Greenville. Two different worlds. :cheers:

Oh, I don't disagree that Greenville is inundated with northern culture...just never heard that reference before. If I want to go have a nice meal and be able to walk around without being overly concerned about my surroundings, I'd go to downtown Greenville for sure.

I'm in Spartanburg County...if we want anything decent to eat, we have to go to Greenville. :D

Will
07-13-2011, 10:07am
so...

private property rights are now a fantasy?

Have been since the early 20th century sadly.

From FDR's trampling of the property rights of farmers and gold owners, to the civil rights movement's regrettable decision to pursue their noble agenda through ignoble perversion of the constitution and specifically the commerce clause.

When you open your doors to the public, you now forfeit your private property rights in this country.

Mark C5
07-13-2011, 10:10am
When you open your doors to the public, you now forfeit your private property rights in this country.

Completely untrue.

Will
07-13-2011, 10:12am
Completely untrue.

Really? OK. Try to ban a racial minority group from entering your restaurant.

You'll run into a little problem with Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Mark C5
07-13-2011, 10:16am
Really? OK. Try to ban a racial minority group from entering your restaurant.

That has nothing to do with private property rights and you know it. Racial discrimination is illegal in all aspects of American life and has nothing to do with property rights.

That is akin to arguing since you can not legally murder someone on your private property your property rights are violated. Ludicrous.

At no time has any property owner been allowed to participate in illegal activity simply because they own the property.

Will
07-13-2011, 10:17am
Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 US 294 - Supreme Court 1964 (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=3963649278944272593&q=+379+U.S.+294&hl=en&as_sdt=2,47)

Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States, 379 US 241 - Supreme Court 1964 (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6430982451238623589&q=+379+U.S.+294&hl=en&as_sdt=2,47)

ConstantChange
07-13-2011, 10:17am
I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this rule.

Will
07-13-2011, 10:19am
That has nothing to do with private property rights and you know it. Racial discrimination is illegal in all aspects of American life and has nothing to do with property rights.

That is akin to arguing since you can not legally murder someone on your private property your property rights are violated. Ludicrous.

Comparing Murder to Denying someone access to your property because of something you don't like about them is ludicrous.

I cannot murder someone in my PRIVATE home. I CAN, IN FACT discriminate freely and bar a racial group from entering my private home.

Your statement that "racial discrimination is illegal in all aspects of American life" is patently false. I am free to say "no honkeys allowed in my home" and free to enforce that rule.

Mark C5
07-13-2011, 11:11am
Comparing Murder to Denying someone access to your property because of something you don't like about them is ludicrous.

I cannot murder someone in my PRIVATE home. I CAN, IN FACT discriminate freely and bar a racial group from entering my private home.

Your statement that "racial discrimination is illegal in all aspects of American life" is patently false. I am free to say "no honkeys allowed in my home" and free to enforce that rule.

Again you miss the mark. What you are describing is behavior that takes place privately. You are free to do many things in private that are not legal in public, nudity for instance. It has nothing to do with property rights.

As for you assertion that you can ban a racial group from your home and enforce it; try denying access to a police officer with a warrant entrance to your home based on his or her race and see how fast you end up in handcuffs.

NEVRL8T
07-13-2011, 11:29am
:hurray::hurray::hurray:

Restaurant Bans Kids Younger Than 6 | XFINITY TV News (http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/blogs/2011/lifestyle/restaurant-bans-kids-younger-than-6-years-old/?cmpid=FCST_hero_hot)

Wish Pittsburgh wasn't so far away.

Tom, don't you have young grandchildren?

VatorMan
07-13-2011, 1:52pm
Tom, don't you have young grandchildren?

Yes. And my son and DIL know what my feelings are on good restaurants with the GS.

high desert
07-13-2011, 2:11pm
If only the airlines would adopt this policy.

VatorMan
07-13-2011, 2:15pm
If only the airlines would adopt this policy.

Airline baby ban: Malaysia Airlines bans children from first class | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2009204/Airline-baby-ban-Malaysia-Airlines-bans-children-class.html)