PDA

View Full Version : Window tint in VA

Shrek
07-13-2011, 5:44am
Have you guys seen this? :dance:

VA Tint Law (http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?111+sum+HB1728)

Scissors
07-13-2011, 6:37am
Aw HELL yeah!

I hope it passes.

Uri
07-13-2011, 6:52am
LEO's will riot!! :sadangel:

allthrottleandsomebottle
07-13-2011, 7:09am
Sorry........not this year again:
House yes, Senate no.
02/17/11 Senate: Passed by indefinitely in Transportation with letter (15-Y 0-N)
State police keep advising the Legislature to turn it down..........just like 1 plate :sleep:
But I keep a tryin

Shrek
07-13-2011, 7:36am
House yes, Senate no.
02/17/11 Senate: Passed by indefinitely in Transportation with letter (15-Y 0-N)
State police keep advising the Legislature to turn it down..........just like 1 plate :sleep:
But I keep a tryin
Guessing that I didn't understand "Passed by indefinitely":slap:

thegreenman
07-17-2011, 5:43pm
Bummer, I would go limo dark if I could get away with it. The only time I have been pulled over is by a statie that wanted to check my tint level, I passed.

LATB
07-17-2011, 6:25pm
House yes, Senate no.
But I keep a tryin

cops :rolleyes:

Sea Six
07-17-2011, 6:29pm
cops :rolleyes:

Yeah.

**** their safety and shit.

:rolleyes:

LATB
07-17-2011, 6:32pm
Yeah.

**** their safety and shit.

I didn't know the tint was a safety issue. how is it a safety issue for cops?

and...front tags make cops safe?

Sea Six
07-17-2011, 6:35pm
I didn't know the tint was a safety issue. how is it a safety issue for cops?

and...front tags make cops safe?

I don't give a rat's ass about front plates. I'm a FL certified cop and we get along just fine without them.

Imagine yourself walking up on a traffic stop on the side of the highway after midnight. Your primary concern is safety. Without being able to see what's going on in the vehicle, number of occupants, etc. you're in just about the worst possible situation you could be in if things go downhill.

You should try it sometime. It just might change your attitude on the topic. :)

Omega Man
07-17-2011, 6:38pm
I don't give a rat's ass about front plates. I'm a FL certified cop and we get along just fine without them.

Imagine yourself walking up on a traffic stop on the side of the highway after midnight. Your primary concern is safety. Without being able to see what's going on in the vehicle, number of occupants, etc. you're in just about the worst possible situation you could be in.

This is the problem.

Fuk walking up to a window. Do like the Louisiana State Police do....."Driver, step out of the vehicle". If you are lucky, they will get hit by a car and the road will be less crowded. :dance:

LATB
07-17-2011, 6:40pm

Imagine yourself walking up on a traffic stop on the side of the highway after midnight. Your primary concern is safety. Without being able to see what's going on in the vehicle, number of occupants, etc. you're in just about the worst possible situation you could be in if things go downhill.

we agree on the plates :yesnod:

the tint...I'll have to concede your LEO safety point. :cheers:

and nope...I'm not cop material. Gimme a gun and a license to kill...the coroner would need a lot of assistance.

Sea Six
07-17-2011, 6:42pm
This is the problem.

Fuk walking up to a window. Do like the Louisiana State Police do....."Driver, step out of the vehicle". If you are lucky, they will get hit by a car and the road will be less crowded. :dance:

Tactically, that's even worse, although sometimes it's done here in certain situations.

The idea is to make it as difficult as possible for the driver to get an aimed shot at you. This is done by standing behind the B pillar post, so he has to turn his neck to see you. If he's going to take a shot at you, he has to do it by pointing the gun behind him, making it very difficult to get an aimed shot at you. All the required movement on his part will also telegraph his intentions.

Having him get out of the car, is getting him in a position of extreme mobility, allowing him to face you, assess the situation at a much better advantage, make it very easy to draw a concealed weapon and score some well-aimed shots.

There really is no comparison.

Munch
07-17-2011, 6:49pm
You can't see what is in the car even after you aim that bright ass spotlight in the back window?

Sea Six
07-17-2011, 6:50pm
You can't see what is in the car even after you aim that bright ass spotlight in the back window?

Not if the tint's too dark, no.

NB2K
07-17-2011, 7:02pm
Window tint laws are a crock of crap.

"Feel good" legislation at it's finest.

Y2Kvert4me
07-17-2011, 7:11pm
I have 28% tint on the side windows, and if I were a Florida resident, this would be completely legal.

http://my.execpc.com/~thimbel/tint.jpg

Law in WI is same BS as VA, 50% allowed on side windows.
Informal rule of thumb here is you can usually get away with one shade darker (35%), which is still very easy to see through in either direction, and generally won't invite LEO attention. This is all VA attempted to make law (common sense IMO).

I understand the purpose of restricting tint to reasonable levels, but cops blocking a move to allow 35% is also quite chickenshit, especially when other states will allow 20%.

:cheers:

Sea Six
07-17-2011, 7:19pm
Window tint laws are a crock of crap.

"Feel good" legislation at it's finest.

Yeah.

**** those cops and their "safety" bullshit.

LATB
07-17-2011, 7:25pm
I just wanted to say loud pipes save lives :D

Sea Six
07-17-2011, 7:37pm
I just wanted to say loud pipes save lives :D

Indeed, they do.

NB2K
07-17-2011, 7:54pm
Yeah.

**** those cops and their "safety" bullshit.

Nope, not at all.

But it is clear that some states value cops' lives more than other states.
It is also clear that it was (tint laws) an over-reaction to a problem that didn't exist.

More cops have been shot through untinted windows that through tinted windows.

"Driver, roll down the windows."

Scissors
07-18-2011, 5:13am
the tint...I'll have to concede your LEO safety point.

I don't. It isn't a safety issue. If the guy's going to shoot you, all he has to do is have the gun below the line of the window. Door panels aren't clear.

But since I keep hearing the claim that it keeps officers safer, I'd like to see the study which shows it. Actual roadside shooting rates by tint % and state adjusted for the usual factors such as weather, density, overall violent crime rates, etc.

I bet the police can't provide this. It's just another feel-good measure.

Scissors
07-18-2011, 5:15am
"Driver, roll down the windows."

Serious.

It's that simple.

allthrottleandsomebottle
07-18-2011, 8:06am
I have corresponded with many legislators (1 plate will gain $1 million savings) and the VA State Police Superintendent a few times.
He does not mention any statistics (Key point in my mind on this issue) that warrant the need to continue two plates in Virginia or how the other 20+ states that only have one plate seem to get by just fine with their law enforcement.
We are not breaking new ground here and the other states just prove the precedence they have set makes one plate ok.
I feel his reluctance of going to one plate may be more to keep the effectiveness of using radar and red- light cameras than a lessening of law enforcement capabilities.
The 2010 bill was drafted and introduced to reduce the mandatory number of license plates to one per vehicle. It was presented in Courts Committee in Civil Sub Committee and “passed by indefinitely” which is essentially the end of it for 2010. Strong opposition from the State Police, Sheriffs Assoc, Petroleum Distributors and of course manufacturers Even though my local LEO's are ok with one plate as they say we chase from behind not the front..........
Tint law, again other states get by fine, no stats or new ground either. I just put in a new bill every year………costs me no $$$ and may squeak through.