PDA

View Full Version : More examples of why we need effective gun control laws...

prospero63
07-12-2011, 5:25pm
Republicans love guns : Pharyngula (http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/07/republicans_love_guns.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+scienceblogs%2Fpharyngula+%28Pharyngula%29)

While the loaded pistol had no safety and the laser pointer was centered on the reporter's chest, Klein explained that there was no need to worry.

"I just didn't have my hand on the trigger," she said.

kylebuck
07-12-2011, 5:28pm
Republicans love guns : Pharyngula (http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/07/republicans_love_guns.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+scienceblogs%2Fpharyngula+%28Pharyngula%29)

While that may be true. That the reporter was in no danger. Treat every gun like it is loaded. And never point it at something you don't intend to shoot.

SnikPlosskin
07-12-2011, 5:35pm
You are so right. Let's break down your logic.

1. This moron represents all Pubs.
2. This moron represents all gun owners.
3. Since this one moron did something moronic, nobody should have guns.
4. She broke the law doing that (if she actually did it) so we already have laws against it. But we need more laws to "control" guns (i.e., people).

I have people tailgating me every day. By your logic we need to have the government ban cars. People blow cig smoke in the air. Ban cigs.

Face it. You believe that everyone is stupid and these poor, stupid people need smarter people (the gov) to tell them what to do - for their own good.

Gun control = more violent crime. It's been proven again and again and again.

Why don't you just admit that you want to make people powerless?

C5SilverBullet
07-12-2011, 5:39pm
While that may be true. That the reporter was in no danger. Treat every gun like it is loaded. And never point it at something you don't intend to shoot.

You did see the part where she had it pointed at his chest, right?

prospero63
07-12-2011, 5:49pm

Apparently that's a totally safe act because her finger wasn't on the trigger...

Montehall
07-12-2011, 5:50pm
details.

lspencer534
07-12-2011, 5:53pm
C'mon, peeps! Guns don't kill people: Bullets do.

Montehall
07-12-2011, 5:58pm
C'mon, peeps! Guns don't kill people: Bullets do.
even then... a bullet, without expanding gas behind it, is as tame as a gun by itself.
So bullets don't kill people - exploding gun powder does.

but then, expanding gas without anything in front of it is dangerous, sure, but hardly fatal (in the quantity involved with firearms)

so suffice to say -guns, bullets, and expanding gas don't kill people; massive injuries resulting in uncontrolled blood loss and cessation of life functions kill people- and lots of things cause that.

SnikPlosskin
07-12-2011, 5:58pm
Everybody who carries (who has a brain) knows that you never point a gun at anything you do not wish to destroy. Anyone who does should have their license revoked (which is the law) - therefore, we already have gun control for this sort of thing.

Y2Kvert4me
07-12-2011, 5:59pm
In what state would that action not already violate the law?

SnikPlosskin
07-12-2011, 6:00pm
even then... a bullet, without expanding gas behind it, is as tame as a gun by itself.
So bullets don't kill people - exploding gun powder does.

but then, expanding gas without anything in front of it is dangerous, sure, but hardly fatal (in the quantity involved with firearms)

so suffice to say -guns, bullets, and expanding gas don't kill people, massive injuries resulting in uncontrolled blood loss and cessation of life functions kill people- and lots of things cause that.

Ding!

Even more specifically:

Sudden drops in blood pressure and or interruption of nervous system kills people.

Blademaker
07-12-2011, 6:02pm

:iagree:

Here's a novel idea!

How about we enforce the gun laws already on the books instead of piling on new ones?

Sea Six
07-12-2011, 6:02pm
Oxygen should be outlawed. Without oxygen, there would be no explosion of the bullet's propellant.

:dance:

SnikPlosskin
07-12-2011, 6:05pm
Oxygen should be outlawed. Without oxygen, there would be no explosion of the bullet's propellant.

What about brass or other metals? Without metals, you can't make a bullet.

Montehall
07-12-2011, 6:12pm
God made Nitrogen and water

Nitrogen is turned into Nitrogen Dioxide which is mixed with water and creates Nitric Acid.
Cellulose is ran through Nitric Acid to create Nitrocellulose, which is the foundation of Modern smokeless gunpowder.

Obviously, God wants us to kill each other.

lspencer534
07-12-2011, 6:12pm

And without oxygen, there'd be no harmful smog, lead, or acid rain in it! But better yet....tax oxygen.

SnikPlosskin
07-12-2011, 6:18pm
Prospero has tricked Thrakk.

G8rDMD
07-12-2011, 6:19pm
She crossed the line by pointing a loaded weapon at a person whom she did not intend to shoot. The reporter who wrote that is a media sensationalist who is trying to get a rise out of gun haters....looks like he succeeded.

The problem with stricter gun laws is it will only take guns out of the hands of people who acquire them legally. The criminals already don't give a fcuk about laws, more gun laws won't stop them. But a citizen with a legal gun might. But not if that right to own a gun is stripped.

There are stupid people everywhere. People drink and drive and kill people. People stab people with knives in bar fights. People electrocute themselves working on their homes. Stricter gun laws aren't the answer. Perhaps requiring more training for people who want to own a gun--that I can get on board with. But more laws we just don't need...

Uncle Pervey
07-12-2011, 7:47pm
I don't think any of you that responded to this thread with arguments against Pisstater's rather obvious retard fishing trip, should be allowed to own firearms. If you've hung out here any time at all you ought to know what he's doing and not taken the bait.. Morangs! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Uncle Pervey
07-12-2011, 7:53pm

Actually free oxygen is not required for a cartridge to fire, the powder carries an oxidizer within it, so it generates oxygen within the cartridge. That means that your 1911 or AK47 will operate just fine in outer space. Unless you get it so cold that the metal shatters.
As far as I can tell nobody ever fired a gun in space, but I know the Russians put a 20mm cannon in one of their capsules, to use as an anti-satellite weapon. I don't think they ever test fired it. :D

ZipZap
07-12-2011, 8:03pm
Was it double action?

VatorMan
07-12-2011, 8:35pm
I don't think any of you that responded to this thread with arguments against Pisstater's rather obvious retard fishing trip, should be allowed to own firearms. If you've hung out here any time at all you ought to know what he's doing and not taken the bait.. Morangs! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

You ever fish in a farm pond and catch the same stupid catfish over and over....:rofl::rofl:

Uncle Pervey
07-12-2011, 9:00pm
You ever fish in a farm pond and catch the same stupid catfish over and over....:rofl::rofl:

Yeppers, I think some others have earned the descriptive suffix of tard to their names... I think I'm gonna promote you to just plain Vatorshit! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

BADRACR1
07-12-2011, 9:06pm
Stricter gun laws aren't the answer. Perhaps requiring more training for people who want to own a gun--that I can get on board with. But more laws we just don't need...

Winnah!!! :dance: Better required training is the answer. I believe everyone should take required courses BEFORE being allowed to purchase a weapon. I am amazed that anyone can buy one with no training at all, but must take a class to legally carry one.
And yes, I have a CCW permit. Carry daily.

high desert
07-12-2011, 9:21pm
Winnah!!! :dance: Better required training is the answer. I believe everyone should take required courses BEFORE being allowed to purchase a weapon. I am amazed that anyone can buy one with no training at all, but must take a class to legally carry one.

2nd amendment says nothing about training.

oh, this guy had lots of training.

YouTube - ‪Police Officer Shoots Him Self In The Leg!‬‏

A lot more examples of this out there too.

When I put my sons through NRA safety and marksmanship training, the instructor had tons of video of LEO's shooting themselves. Can't fix stupid.

Montehall
07-12-2011, 9:46pm
I feel used.
Used like a box of Hostess Cupcakes at the fat girl's house after she didn't get invited to the prom.

Blademaker
07-12-2011, 9:49pm
I feel used.
Used like a box of Hostess Cupcakes at the fat girl's house after she didn't get invited to the prom.

Like a cheap condom....

prospero63
07-12-2011, 9:54pm

Most of them. What law was broken? No one was shot. There was no "incident". There was no "intent" which is what many states require for the commission of a crime. Stupid? Yeah. Illegal? Probably not. Which is why we need more gun control laws to address circumstances like this.

JRD77VET
07-12-2011, 10:00pm
Most of them. What law was broken? No one was shot. There was no "incident". There was no "intent" which is what many states require for the commission of a crime. Stupid? Yeah. Illegal? Probably not. Which is why we need more keyboard control laws to address circumstances like this.

:leaving:

Silverspeed
07-12-2011, 10:04pm
Was it double action?

It was raspberry red, a Ruger, and a .380, which makes it an LCP, which is DA only. So yes.

prospero63
07-12-2011, 10:05pm

Yep. And registration too. That way the government knows who has the guns. Kind of like what they are doing in the border states now.

themonk
07-12-2011, 10:21pm
Did you ever stop to think.............*sigh* what's the point.

BADRACR1
07-14-2011, 9:07pm
Yep. And registration too. That way the government knows who has the guns. Kind of like what they are doing in the border states now.

You know, a lot of people scream aloud at the idea of registering all their guns. I understand both sides of the issue. All my weapons are legally purchased through gun stores and registered to me. On the one side, it would allow a little more control and better tracking, but then again it would also be like cars. How many people on here themselves or know others who flip cars without registering them? Oh yeah, it's illegal, but it's done all the time to avoid paying taxes on a car that was bought with the intent of selling it for a profit. I know this personally (140 cars & counting). Private sales will be impossible to regulate, much as they are now. Ever been to a gun show? Registering them every time they change hands would cut down on stolen gun trade, but then again criminals are the ones who buy the stolen guns anyway. Also, at what extent does my possessions or hobbies become the business of big brother? I am a law abiding citizen with a clean record. If I wanna own a hundred guns, why can't I? The argument about going postal and shooting up a mall doesn't hold water. Couldn't someone just drive a car into a crowd and kill as many people that way? (It's been done) There was rumors of a bill a while back to require car collectors to register show cars and museum pieces. Why? These cars aren't ever on the road, and I was under the impression money from registration was to help pay for road construction and such.
Regulation only works as long as everyone uses the honor system. And I believe we all know how that turns out.

NeedSpeed
07-14-2011, 9:10pm
140 cars? For Real? :lol:

BADRACR1
07-14-2011, 9:20pm
So far. I posted the list once on the other site, and had a couple of people call me a liar. It's easy to do. I just turned 50, so that averages out to a little over four a year. There were times I'd have only two, and other times I had five to seven. If you think that's bad, my brother once had 34 in ONE year. We flip 'em as a hobby. Longest time I owned one was thirteen years, shortest was about five minutes. Had it sold before I bought it. :dance:

Oops. Just checked. Only 139. Plus a few motorcycles.

To stay on track and for the record, twelve pistols and revolvers so far. Four currently.

NeedSpeed
07-14-2011, 9:24pm
So far. I posted the list once on the other site, and had a couple of people call me a liar. It's easy to do. I just turned 50, so that averages out to a little over four a year. There were times I'd have only two, and other times I had five to seven. If you think that's bad, my brother once had 34 in ONE year. We flip 'em as a hobby. Longest time I owned one was thirteen years, shortest was about five minutes. Had it sold before I bought it. :dance:

I owned a monte carlo as a hand me down. Bought my Vette. Bought a lincoln, a pontiac and a trailblazer. Had like 2 other s/o cars.

I'm almost 38. :leaving:

prospero63
07-15-2011, 8:39am
140 cars? For Real? :lol:

He's a baller. You should see the super model count he's racked up. :leaving:

Scissors
07-15-2011, 10:04am
Actually free oxygen is not required for a cartridge to fire, the powder carries an oxidizer within it, so it generates oxygen within the cartridge. That means that your 1911 or AK47 will operate just fine in outer space. Unless you get it so cold that the metal shatters.
As far as I can tell nobody ever fired a gun in space, but I know the Russians put a 20mm cannon in one of their capsules, to use as an anti-satellite weapon. I don't think they ever test fired it. :D

The cool thing about space is that it isn't actually cold. Or hot. It doesn't really have a temperature.

Seing as it's almost a perfect vacuum, conduction and convection are out. So that leaves only radiation as a method for heat to leave the firearm. This means that without a heat source it would take a very long time to cool down, and would never hit absolute zero because it would be heated up by the cosmic background radiation.

As long as it's being exposed to sunlight, however, it probably won't cool at all. More than likely it would heat up while in Earth's orbit, just as it would on a sunny day, but with no atmosphere to block some of the sun's energy.

prospero63
07-15-2011, 10:07am
The cool thing about space is that it isn't actually cold. Or hot. It doesn't really have a temperature.

Seing as it's almost a perfect vacuum, conduction and convection are out. So that leaves only radiation as a method for heat to leave the firearm. This means that without a heat source it would take a very long time to cool down, and would never hit absolute zero because it would be heated up by the cosmic background radiation.

As long as it's being exposed to sunlight, however, it probably won't cool at all. More than likely it would heat up while in Earth's orbit, just as it would on a sunny day, but with no atmosphere to block some of the sun's energy.

Right, but what happens if it's on a treadmill?

Scissors
07-15-2011, 10:08am
Right, but what happens if it's on a treadmill?

You get a trimmer, fitter gun.

prospero63
07-15-2011, 10:09am
You get a trimmer, fitter gun.

The bullet wouldn't fire though, because the treadmill was running in the opposite direction at the velocity of bullet

BADRACR1
07-15-2011, 9:59pm
He's a baller. You should see the super model count he's racked up. :leaving:

Can't afford many of those. Only a dozen so far...:dance:

BADRACR1
07-15-2011, 10:02pm
I owned a monte carlo as a hand me down. Bought my Vette. Bought a lincoln, a pontiac and a trailblazer. Had like 2 other s/o cars.

I'm almost 38. :leaving:

That doesn't count cars I bought for ex wives or gf's. These were just mine. I also split a dozen or so with my brother. Shoppin' for the next one now.:seeya:

themonk
07-15-2011, 10:05pm
Does anybody else find this ironic that it happened in Arizona. :bilmem:

Flatbush Harry
07-15-2011, 10:32pm

I trust you were kidding. If not, may I have a sample of your alleged brain tissue for science fiction?

:beer:

ryraH