PDA

View Full Version : Retractible awning

Rapid Roger
07-12-2011, 4:39pm
Anyone have one...?What size....?At what cost.....?I just got an estimate of $9500. for an 18ft by 14ft awning including installation.I was floored......have two more guys coming to give me estimates next week.Although I don't know anything about awnings I thought it would be about $3500-$4000.......Comments............:)

LATB
07-12-2011, 4:41pm
why?

I don't get it?

You either want a covered porch...or you don't.

Montehall
07-12-2011, 4:42pm
Friend of ours bought one for an RV and mounted it themselves.
Heck of alot cheaper.

VatorMan
07-12-2011, 4:42pm
I have one I bought 12 years ago. It needs new fabric, but it really does the trick. One piece of advice. Use Sunbrella material. It weathers well and is tough.

Sea Six
07-12-2011, 4:46pm
I got one from Sunsetter (they've been in business for many, many years).

The products are made in the USA (in MA IIRC). I have one more payment at 0% interest to make.

I bought the biggest motorized retractible awning they make. I think it's around 18 feet by around 10 or 12 feet. Their customer service is top-notch. I paid a local handyman to install it, and he charged me $300.00.

He brought one extra person, but it took a total of four people to get it installed due to the weight.

If you do get the Sunsetter, be sure to save the packaging in case you decide to return it. They do have a return policy, around 90 days or so.

Any more questions? Ask away.

Very satisfied customer. The materials and craftsmanship are top-grade.

SunSetter Awnings - Retractable Deck and Patio Awning (http://www.sunsetter.com)

Sea Six
07-12-2011, 4:54pm
why?

I don't get it?

You either want a covered porch...or you don't.

I'll take this one for $1,000, Alex: I want a covered porch... except when I don't. :D

Also, when you live on the water like I do (I'm the very first structure that a hurricane hits as it comes in off the Gulf) you need an automatic wind-sensing retractible awning like I have.

LATB
07-12-2011, 4:55pm
I'll take this one for $1,000, Alex: I want a covered porch... except when I don't. :D

Also, when you live on the water like I do (I'm the very first structure that a hurricane hits as it comes in off the Gulf) you need an automatic wind-sensing retractible awning like I have.

or...

you can build a real porch with a 140mph roof structure :D

Sea Six
07-12-2011, 4:58pm
or...

you can build a real porch with a 140mph roof structure :D

:yesnod:

And watch it litter your yard and your neighbors' yards when the big ones come.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :sadangel:

Sea Six
07-12-2011, 4:59pm
Lars, we ought to meet up and get some oysters and a beer some time. We live pretty close by each other.

:cheers:

LATB
07-12-2011, 5:01pm
:yesnod:

And watch it litter your yard and your neighbors' yards when the big ones come.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. :sadangel:
all the porches I've built over the past 20+ years and a handful of storms...

are still there :D
Lars, we ought to meet up and get some oysters and a beer some time. We live pretty close by each other.

:cheers:

yes. I should have some time this month or next at the latest :cheers:

MrPeabody
07-12-2011, 5:22pm

The products are made in the USA (in MA IIRC). I have one more payment at 0% interest to make.

I bought the biggest motorized retractible awning they make. I think it's around 18 feet by around 10 or 12 feet. Their customer service is top-notch. I paid a local handyman to install it, and he charged me $300.00.

He brought one extra person, but it took a total of four people to get it installed due to the weight.

If you do get the Sunsetter, be sure to save the packaging in case you decide to return it. They do have a return policy, around 90 days or so.

SunSetter Awnings - Retractable Deck and Patio Awning (http://www.sunsetter.com)

Same here, except I installed it myself. It did require a couple of friend for a few minutes to help lift it into place. Had it for six years and the only thing I've had to do is replace the battery in the remote about a year ago. I think we paid about $1800 for it delivered.

I would recommend the motor driven one. Hand cranking one of these takes a while and would not be very convenient.

69camfrk
07-12-2011, 5:37pm
Friend of ours bought one for an RV and mounted it themselves.
Heck of alot cheaper.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. No way should an awning cost several thousand dollars.

MrPeabody
07-12-2011, 5:40pm
Exactly what I was going to suggest. No way should an awning cost several thousand dollars.

Depends on the size and whether they are hand crank or power. Sunsetter basic awnings start at around $6-700.

MrPeabody
07-12-2011, 5:44pm
One other thing...if you know anybody with a Sunsetter, check with them. They sometimes send out discount coupons to current owners to pass onto their friends. I helped a neighbor save a few hundred bucks on his last year.

Sea Six
07-12-2011, 6:07pm
One other thing...if you know anybody with a Sunsetter, check with them. They sometimes send out discount coupons to current owners to pass onto their friends. I helped a neighbor save a few hundred bucks on his last year.

:iagree:

Like me, for instance. I just made the 5th and final payment of my Sunsetter awning. I believe I have some way of forwarding any future purchaser's info in for a discount on their behalf.

Rapid Roger
07-12-2011, 6:11pm
Thanks for the responses....My FIL in Ma just bought a Sunsetter and yes,they are made in Ma.....he paid $2600 for a 12 by 10 unit.....If you have the price you paid and the size it would help me in my search for the best unit at the best price.A guy I just got off the phone with said,even if you don't buy from me.....Don't pay anyone $9500 for an awning...:)

MrPeabody
07-12-2011, 6:13pm
Thanks for the responses....My FIL in Ma just bought a Sunsetter and yes,they are made in Ma.....he paid $2600 for a 12 by 10 unit.....If you have the price you paid and the size it would help me in my search for the best unit at the best price.A guy I just got off the phone with said,even if you don't buy from me.....Don't pay anyone $9500 for an awning...:)

18X10 remote control powered - $1800. But that was six years ago.

ZipZap
07-12-2011, 7:05pm
We chose Sunair at the time because Sunsetter did not have an option in our length that did not have side supports. Sunsetter does now offer them, so the differences might be very small.

oyealiz
07-12-2011, 11:18pm
Mec5lady has one. They love it, and I believe she said they bought it at Costco.

Costco - SunSetter Motorized Retractable Awnings (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11297398&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|50126|28180&N=4046957&Mo=7&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=28180&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C)

Z06David
07-13-2011, 7:19am

Thanks for the info! I've been looking into these as well since I don't want to pay for an actual patio yet.

onedef92
07-13-2011, 8:05am
Don't have one (they're forbidden by our HOA) but that kinda coin would by one heckuva deck.

Sea Six
07-13-2011, 11:21am

It was around $3300 with everything... delivery, installation, motorized version with remote control, wind sensor for automatic retraction, etc.

MEC5LADY
07-13-2011, 12:48pm
Mec5lady has one. They love it, and I believe she said they bought it at Costco.

Costco - SunSetter Motorized Retractable Awnings (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11297398&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|50126|28180&N=4046957&Mo=7&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=28180&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C)

$1500 for an 18 ft motorized retractable awning from Costco delivered to my house six years ago. There are 8 brackets to install which took a bit of time but other than that the hard part was hoisting the awning onto the brackets. My neighbor bought one smaller and paid $300 to have someone install it.