PDA

View Full Version : letting something "Dethaw"... seriously

Montehall
07-11-2011, 1:34pm
as in "we set some hamburger out on the counter to let it dethaw."
or "our pipes froze last night, so we are hoping they will dethaw today."

really? You want them to re-freeze?

just one of those things that irritate me, kind of like Hot water heater.

you only need to heat your water once.

Sea Six
07-11-2011, 1:42pm
Actually, when you heat the water the first time, and the thermostat then shuts off the heat, it begins to cool. At some point, the thermostat kicks in to heat the (already hot) water so it doesn't get too cool.

Ergo, the term "hot water heater" seems accurate to me.

Datawiz
07-11-2011, 1:44pm
My wife says that all the time. I just laugh at her. :lol:

Montehall
07-11-2011, 1:46pm
Actually, when you heat the water the first time, and the thermostat then shuts off the heat, it begins to cool. At some point, the thermostat kicks in to heat the (already hot) water so it doesn't get too cool.

Ergo, the term "hot water heater" seems accurate to me.
so a hot water re-heater.

Sea Six
07-11-2011, 1:47pm
so a hot water re-heater.

Even better. :dance:

lspencer534
07-11-2011, 2:22pm
I thought it was "unthaw".

ConstantChange
07-11-2011, 2:29pm
I've always said "thaw out" or "defrost". YMMV. :cheers:

Yep, that's what I say here in Okie land.

Yerf Dog
07-11-2011, 2:45pm
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say 'dethaw'.

Cybercowboy
07-11-2011, 3:58pm
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say 'dethaw'.

Me neither. Dethaw? What sort of backwoods hillspeak is that?

Burnt C6
07-11-2011, 4:05pm
as in "we set some hamburger out on the counter to let it dethaw."
or "our pipes froze last night, so we are hoping they will dethaw today."

really? You want them to re-freeze?

just one of those things that irritate me, kind of like Hot water heater.

you only need to heat your water once.

you move a little closer to Houston and they talk a lot better.

prospero63
07-11-2011, 4:08pm
I'm not sure what's more funny. This thread dogging on folks using the word dethaw or the fact that so many posters in it have never read a dictionary.

dethaw
- 1 dictionary result
dethaw

verb
become or cause to become soft or liquid; "The sun melted the ice"; "the ice thawed"; "the ice cream melted"; "The heat melted the wax"; "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"; "dethaw the meat" [syn: dissolve]

Cybercowboy
07-11-2011, 4:10pm
I'm not sure what's more funny. This thread dogging on folks using the word dethaw or the fact that so many posters in it have never read a dictionary.

dethaw
- 1 dictionary result
dethaw

verb
become or cause to become soft or liquid; "The sun melted the ice"; "the ice thawed"; "the ice cream melted"; "The heat melted the wax"; "The giant iceberg dissolved over the years during the global warming phase"; "dethaw the meat" [syn: dissolve]

It literally means "freeze". The dictionary is wrong. And that was a very silly post. Go away. Mirriam Webster thinks you are wrong. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dethaw)

prospero63
07-11-2011, 4:18pm
It literally means "freeze". The dictionary is wrong. And that was a very silly post. Go away. Mirriam Webster thinks you are wrong. (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dethaw)

Dethaw | Define Dethaw at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dethaw)

Cybercowboy
07-11-2011, 4:20pm
Dethaw | Define Dethaw at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dethaw)

When you use the backwoods dictionary, you get fake words defined. This is really simple in actuality. Do you believe everything on Wikipedia too? :D

prospero63
07-11-2011, 4:22pm
When you use the backwoods dictionary, you get fake words defined. This is really simple in actuality. Do you believe everything on Wikipedia too? :D

Nope. Just the internet, just the internet.

themonk
07-11-2011, 5:04pm
irregardless of what you think, people will always speak like that.

Uncle Pervey
07-11-2011, 5:30pm
irregardless of what you think, people will always speak like that.

That's one of the things about English (German and Dutch too) that is different than Romance or Slavic based languages. You can pretty much add whole words, prefixes or suffixes to other words or blend words into a portmanteau and people will pretty much understand what your are talking about. I think German is the worst about creating new words from connecting words and all sorts of prefixes and suffices together to create new words. Here's an example of a long German word Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän, which means Danube steamship company captain.
BTW Monk, the word irregardless is one of these non-standard words since it uses the prefix irr with the suffix less, which isn't normally allowed by the rules of English word formation, but it has been in use for so long that it is accepted.

Mark C5
07-11-2011, 5:42pm
Next you guys will be telling me there's no such word as refudiate!

Mirroredshades
07-12-2011, 4:36pm
dethawificate