PDA

View Full Version : Andriod Phones: What's your favorite?

ConstantChange
07-11-2011, 10:24am
I've yet to make the jump to a "smart" phone, but have been giving it some thought. I'm not an Apple fan boy, but have considered the iPhone. I'd rather get an Andriod phone if I can find something I like that is just as good if not better.

So, what Andriod phones should I check out?

or

Should I just get an iPhone?

VatorMan
07-11-2011, 10:25am
Beat you by a minute. :lol:

Datawiz
07-11-2011, 10:27am
LOVE my HTC Thunderbolt 4G. Only drawback is short battery life, but I can charge it easily during the day.

RedLS1GTO
07-11-2011, 10:29am
I have had a Droid 1 and a Droid 2 from Motorola as well as an Incredible by HTC and have had good luck with all of them. I had an iPhone 3 for a while and didn't like it at all. It was simply a matter of opinion for me and not a performance issue for ditching the iPhone. I actually switched back to my old Droid 2 (what I am currently using.)

ConstantChange
07-11-2011, 10:32am
LOVE my HTC Thunderbolt 4G. Only drawback is short battery life.

How many hours of use can you get before it dies? Is this with wi-fi turned on?

themonk
07-11-2011, 10:40am
I got the Samsung Galaxy S, it's okay.

C5SilverBullet
07-11-2011, 10:54am
I wouldn't give up my Evo 4G for anything. With the new OS, my battery lasts all day, the screen is huge, and the camera is great.

03SlowZ06
07-11-2011, 10:58am

I have the thunderbolt also. With Wi-fi on it will last through the day just fine but dont plan in it lasting more then to the next morning. With Wifi off you can get through the next morning into the early evening.

ConstantChange
07-11-2011, 11:00am
It's not the phones as much as getting bent over on the data charges which have kept me away from them on the "major" carriers. :yesnod:

That's why I haven't made the jump yet. The data plans are insane.

simpleman68
07-11-2011, 11:04am
I've got the LG G2X and have had no issues with it other than 2

1. Touch screen sensitivity seems inconsistent at times, but not a big issue.

2. Doesn't connect with some AT&T 3G bands. Engadget review confirms it is only good for 3G bands I and IV

Other than that, battery life is much better than my wife's HTC running the new 2.3 OS. The camera is quite good and it does its job and does so rather quickly. :beer:
Scott

simpleman68
07-11-2011, 11:07am
That's why I haven't made the jump yet. The data plans are insane.

Wondering what your carrier's prices structure is like.
Dumped Verizon 2 years ago to go with AT&T. AT&T and T-Mobile both have near identical plans.
Lots of minutes (forget the # but we use them a lot and never go over) unlimited text and 2Gigs data.
Cost if $150 for both of us taxes and the whole chalupa.
Similar plan with Verizon 2 years ago was $240+ :beat:
Scott

Datawiz
07-11-2011, 11:12am

I can typically go the entire day without charging, unless I play an hour of golf or use it as a wi-fi hotspot. :rofl: If I know I'm going to use it as a hot spot for a long time, I'll just plug the usb cable into the computer that I'm using at the time.

ConstantChange
07-11-2011, 2:55pm
Wondering what your carrier's prices structure is like.

I've been with T-mobile for about 7 years. I'm out of contract, so I could change with no issues.

Tmobile is Talk, Text and
2 GB for $79
5 GB for $89
10 GB for $119.

I currently have talk and text and pay around $52. Paying $25-40+ more a month for a data plan when I'm sitting at a computer most the day doesn't sound to appealing.

simpleman68
07-11-2011, 3:16pm
I've been with T-mobile for about 7 years. I'm out of contract, so I could change with no issues.

Tmobile is Talk, Text and
2 GB for $79
5 GB for $89
10 GB for $119.

I currently have talk and text and pay around $52. Paying $25-40+ more a month for a data plan when I'm sitting at a computer most the day doesn't sound to appealing.

Agreed. No need for the extra if you're already at a workstation.

Hell, I've got 2 phones for different purposes and am about ready to dump one of them. An iPhone with AT&T and the LG G2X with T-Mobile.
Scott

ASTROCREEP
07-11-2011, 3:19pm
I just got the LG Optimus V from Virgin mobile. Nice phone for the price. $150.00 for the phone and I get unlimited data and text with 300 anytime minutes for 25 bucks a month. No contract.

There's also a way to get unlimited minutes using voice over IP which I am also using.:hurray: works with Wifi and 3G.

MattW
07-11-2011, 4:08pm
I just got my first-ever smartphone - AT&T and an HTC Inspire 4G.

I have nothing else to compare it to; I'm having a great time. These devices rock for your basic Information Junkie (me).

My Inspire is kinda big for a "pocket" phone and I made it bigger by putting it in an Otterbox; but it is soooo functional I know I'll soon be feeling deaf, blind and dumb without it. Already ordered a car mount for it so I can use it as my full-time GPS device, etc.

Didn't even have to buy a car charger because I have an aftermarket stereo with a USB port; it'll charge through the USB cable that came with the phone - or any other "USB to usb" cable connection.

syf350
07-11-2011, 4:09pm
i've got the thunderbolt as well, but wouldnt complain too much about the battery life. seems to do well for me. i have wifi and bluetooth always on, but i don't let it do any auto updates for mail etc. thats all manual. we also don't have 4g here yet, so not sure what the battery drain will be like with 4g.

2.3 update is supposed to also correct quite a bit of battery issues i am hearing.

having said that, i have my wife's motorola droid that we need to get rid of if you're interested. nothing is wrong with it, she just found that she didn't need the slide out keyboard like she thought she would, so she took my incredible when i upgraded to thunderbolt.

probably should have done something last week though as i think Verizon ended their unlimited data plans.

bearstrail
07-11-2011, 4:13pm
I have a Samsung Mesmerize (Galaxy S) and I love it. The battery usage was horrible at first, but once I did a few tweaks and loaded the advanced task killer the battery life nearly tripled with no real loss of usefulness.

I've used the Moto Droid and Droid 2 and liked them, but would happily trade the physical keyboard in favor of the Swype input.

The service plan costs are ridiculous. As much as I love it, I doubt I'll renew when the contract is up.