PDA

View Full Version : A soldier's story [A tattoo thread]

nhlgopens
07-11-2011, 8:44am
Photos of soldiers who served in Afghanistan and the meaning behind their tattoos. (http://interactives.wdtn.com/photomojo/gallery/644/1/a-soldiers-tale-told-through-tattoos/spc.-derek-tope/)

:patriot:

Scissors
07-11-2011, 8:47am
They're losers because they have tats.

ft laud mike
07-11-2011, 8:48am
They're losers because they have tats.

:cheers:, of course

GEODON
07-11-2011, 9:22am
Is this one of those gotcha threads where I'm supposed to be afraid to say anything because I still think tats are lame but if I say what I feel I will seem anti American because it involves those who served for our country even though that's not the case?

Well then I take it all back and would like to say I love those tats especially the one who has heather on his back and the one with the bible verse because you know why? Drum roll please...his father is religious.

nhlgopens
07-11-2011, 9:24am
Is this one of those gotcha threads where I'm supposed to be afraid to say anything because I still think tats are lame but if I say what I feel I will seem anti American because it involves those who served for our country even though that's not the case?

Well then I take it all back and would like to say I love those tats especially the one who has heather on his back and the one with the bible verse because you know why? Drum roll please...his father is religious.

No... this is just one of those threads where you need to show respect for those serving our country and realize (whether you like them or not) there's a story behind the ink. :cheers:

03SlowZ06
07-11-2011, 9:28am
Jackpot.

onedef92
07-11-2011, 9:58am
Still, not all service members opt for 'tats.

My Dad and older brother, for instance, are both military vets and are both ink free.

Their bodies, their choice. It doesn't diminish their sacrifice to our country in either case. :flag:

RedLS1GTO
07-11-2011, 10:10am
http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps/photomojo/lintvnews.com/photos/2011/07/g644-hfr-soldiers-tattoos/13960-27377.jpg

Yep. The giant Famous Stars and Straps logo on his chest is super cool. I'm sure it is full meaning as well. :rolleyes:

Him being a soldier doesn't change the fact that it is hideous.

On a side note, I've fought in these wars myself and I have lost more than 1 close friend in them. You would be hard pressed to find a person with more respect for our military and those serving in it than I have so please don't give me the "respect our soldiers" line.

I'm not against tattoos at all. To each his own, but trying to justify them to people who don't like them is no better than somebody preaching against them.

nhlgopens
07-11-2011, 10:24am
Yep. The giant Famous Stars and Straps logo on his chest is super cool. I'm sure it is full meaning as well. :rolleyes:

Him being a soldier doesn't change the fact that it is hideous.

On a side note, I've fought in these wars myself and I have lost more than 1 close friend in them. You would be hard pressed to find a person with more respect for our military and those serving in it than I have so please don't give me the "respect our soldiers" line.

I'm not against tattoos at all. To each his own, but trying to justify them to people who don't like them is no better than somebody preaching against them.
Nobody here is trying to justify them... it is what it is. Soldiers with ink and their stories. Nobody is pushing their agenda here (yet :rolleyes:). They deserve just as much respect as yourself and anyone else that has served this country. And I'll give you the "respect our soldiers" line as much as I want. It's my thread. :D

wicked_c6
07-11-2011, 3:44pm
Don't care what peeps say... The dude just married for 2 months having his wifes name tattoo'd on his back is a dumbass... Know how many soldiers (newly married) retain their wives after being deployed so long? Not many...

LATB
07-11-2011, 4:08pm
YouTube - ‪Fort San Felipe‬‏

Barkingowl
07-11-2011, 4:39pm
I really don't know what to make of that. Poor photos of their art was the first thing I noticed. What they had & why it had meaning didn't really matter if you couldn't tell what the heck it was.

mrvette
07-11-2011, 6:42pm
Don't care what peeps say... The dude just married for 2 months having his wifes name tattoo'd on his back is a dumbass... Know how many soldiers (newly married) retain their wives after being deployed so long? Not many...

Tell me about it, my cousin in the late 60's early 70's North LIttle Rock Ark, ....SAC base then TAC......and the carrying on crap with the wives then the guys wer on TDY....

:dance::slap::sadangel:

DJ_Critterus
07-11-2011, 6:49pm
http://linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/linapps/photomojo/lintvnews.com/photos/2011/07/g644-hfr-soldiers-tattoos/13960-27377.jpg

That kid is in a ROUGH, ROUGH, ROUGH area of the Kunar in Afghanistan. I was there when it got over run due to some corrupt Afghan Security Guards that we are forced to use there to this day. SGT Pirtle and SPC King were both slaughtered (as i remember it being described at their memorial ceremony) and that COP was named after them. :sadangel:

kingpin
07-11-2011, 7:02pm
The only tat I have ever regretted are the initials of a former girlfriend!
Dumbest thing I have ever done.
Good thing about it is I have a cover-up all planned out and another reason to get one done again.

:dance:

Your happily tattooed friend
KP

DJ_Critterus
07-11-2011, 7:11pm
No regrets with the tats here... except the canvas is a little small. That happens when you have limited mobility and can't work out without needing pain pills and more surgery :(

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/DJ_Critterus/3e702f2f.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/DJ_Critterus/6b7934b9.jpg
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/DJ_Critterus/248374_10150199228521238_700536237_7371065_2533833_n.jpg

kingpin
07-11-2011, 7:14pm
Nice work! :cheers:

Would you mind telling me the meanings?
I would put mine up but I don't think they would go over very well, especially not being in the military. :D

DJ_Critterus
07-11-2011, 7:21pm
Nice work! :cheers:

Would you mind telling me the meanings?
I would put mine up but I don't think they would go over very well, especially not being in the military. :D

Right arm: Big Dead One patch where Combat Patch is worn, Square and Compasses to the fraternity of Freemasons, dragon I won't explain

Left Arm: Shriner Emblem, (kind of seen) Army Signal Corps Wig Wags for being a Signal Officer, Tiger I won't explain.