PDA

View Full Version : Wall Structure Problem

Broken Wind
07-10-2011, 6:04pm
The wall behind the dual sink vanity in the MBR has some unusual properties. In the summer it is a straight wall, but in the winter, it bows outward creating as much as a 1/2" gap between the vanity and the wall.

I'm remodeling the MBR and would like to address this, but have no clue what is causing it or how to address it. What would Gene and Lars do? :lol:

More details: The wall is an outside wall facing south. I live a few miles south of DC, so it is very humid.

78SA
07-10-2011, 6:11pm
Call in Ghosthunters! :lol:

LATB
07-10-2011, 6:11pm
it's probably the vanity and not the wall or you would have other symptoms. sounds like the vanity is made of particle board, expands (closes gap) in warm humid summer months...contracts (opens gap) in cool winter months.

you sure the wall is bowing out? is there a wall hung mirror?

where exactly is the gap? pics?

exterior wall finish?

2x4 stud framing?

with limited info...I'm really shootin' in the dark here...

mrvette
07-10-2011, 6:15pm
Need more info.....frame wall?? dimensions of the studs...2x6? or 2x4?? how old is the house?? what is the exterior sheathing...??

I assume sheetrock finish inside....have you bared the wall inside yet??

any water problems in evidence??

what is the over all structure? basement/slab?? what is the outside color of the wall?? if it's really dark and gets hot, that makes me wonder....

SO many houses are framed 2' center on 2x4 studs these daze, I would not care to bet on what can happen under your circumstances/description....

is this 2nd story or first? on a slab?

BTW, interior bath, has a small recurring crack on left side of sink top to the wall....I just keep regrouting, but it's not any 1/2 inch...more like a small crack just to bug the wife unit....

:lol:

DAB
07-10-2011, 6:18pm
let me guess: old house (pre 1950ish)?

summer: straight

winter: bowed, likely due to shrinking (air is drier in winter) inside.

proper fix is costly...

DAB
07-10-2011, 7:07pm
any more details or pix? have you put a straight edge on the affected area to see what is moving?

LATB
07-10-2011, 7:19pm
any more details or pix? have you put a straight edge on the affected area to see what is moving?

he's gonna remodel.

I'd go ahead and open up the wall and look.

but you are correct...more info & pics. a 1/2" is a lot of movement.

Broken Wind
07-11-2011, 8:20am
Hey guys, thanks for the inputs and here is some more info. I'm still a ways away from being able to open up the wall, but will get there eventually.

Second story of a 22 yr old 2-story colonial. White vinyl exterior. I don't know if the wall studs are 2x4 or 2x6 yet, but this house has studs spaced seemingly at random throughout. It's rare to find a stud where you think there should be one.

Lars, the vanity has a corian-like backsplash that the gap forms behind, so I'm certain it is the wall that is moving rather than the vanity. Interestingly, there is a large mirror about a foot above the backsplash that I have not noticed a gap behind.

Currently, the wall is tight to the vanity, so there is not gap to photograph.

There is a skylight in that bathroom that has leaked before, but I had a repairman come out to address. As far as I can tell, it doesn't leak anymore.

ZipZap
07-11-2011, 10:47am
With that kind of movement, I would expect drywall fasteners to be popping out everywhere if there are fastners at all. Does the wall feel solid? Are there any other indications, such as cracks in the mud?