PDA

View Full Version : The Age-Old Question... High Volume or High Pressure?

MattW
07-03-2011, 11:07pm
If you had the opportunity to upgrade the oil pump on your LS1, would you (1) just use an OEM pump again; (2) Go with a high-volume pump or (3) go with a high-pressure pump?

Knowing the car will be mostly a sunny-day back-road car with maybe - MAYBE - one HPDE event a year?

simpleman68
07-11-2011, 10:21am
If you had the opportunity to upgrade the oil pump on your LS1, would you (1) just use an OEM pump again; (2) Go with a high-volume pump or (3) go with a high-pressure pump?

Knowing the car will be mostly a sunny-day back-road car with maybe - MAYBE - one HPDE event a year?

High volume every day of the week. :yesnod:
The LSX motors don't seem to do well with higher pressures at all. I think they were built to run on lower pressure and at fairly high temps.

I've been running a 384 stroker for several years now at 11.6-1 compression with an LS6/LS2 oil pump (forget which) and on Summer days, I'll sit at 20 psi at idle.
I asked several reputable builders if that was an issue and they said not at all.
I know guys that run these in track events on hot Summer days and their oil temps will push near 300. :eek:

Scott

slant
07-13-2011, 11:18pm
volume , hands down

Eagleeye
07-26-2011, 8:46pm
Stock or VOLUME...