PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Windo Valet?

Cobra4B
01-25-2010, 1:33pm
Do you like it? Which features do you use?

I just purchased one 2nd hand... haven't gotten it yet. Anyone know how you setup the various features/functions? All I want to use it for is to roll the windows up w/ the key fob after putting up the top.

-Brian

WKMCD
01-25-2010, 1:43pm
Hey Brian,

It's almost a necessity with a vert. It means you don't have to crawl back in the car after you put the top up and you can put the top down without opening the doors. I use my everytime I hit the car.

That's the only thing I use it for but it's worth it.

Cobra4B
01-25-2010, 2:12pm
Yeah seems like a no-brainer. Getting back in the car to put the key in to put the windows up is annoying. In the Z06 I put the windows up ahead of time, then just open both doors and put the top in, then close doors and done. But in the vert when you open the tonneau cover the windows go down on their own.

I just read the instructions online... didn't realize it was all controlled via the DIC. That's pretty trick.

DropTheTop
01-25-2010, 3:30pm
It's a necessity :yesnod: I like to walk up to the pass side while hitting unlock three times. Windows go down, and I reach in and unlock top. Then walk over to driver side and unlock top. Top's down in a couple seconds, and you didn't even get in the car yet. When you park, you close the top and lock driver side, then walk on over to the pass side and lock it. Then just walk away and hit lock three times. Once you do it a couple times it becomes very fluid series of events. :cheers:

Y2Kvert4me
01-25-2010, 5:16pm
I love it even on my coupe.

Pretty much only got it for the remote window control. The 15 min retained accessory power feature is nice too.

The only thing I don't like about it, is it's sensitivity to closing the windows. I find if I program it with the top on, it works fine until the one time I use it to close the windows with the top off, then they go right back down. It's like the window parks in a slightly different spot, and it mistakes this as an obstruction. Then I have to reprogram it again. Programming it to the "hard" setting has made no difference.
This can also happen if your windows aren't kept very clean...this can cause the two windows to travel up at slightly different speeds, one closes before the other, and the same thing happens, they go right back down.

Until you get a feel for it's reliability in this aspect, always make sure you look when using the remote to close the windows, or you can accidentally assume they are closed, when in reality they reversed and went right back down.

:cheers:

Munch
01-25-2010, 6:43pm
I like mine even though I have a coupe. I got it for the auto window factor, it's just cool is all. I also like the highest speed function because I usually am too busy scanning for police and puppies in the road to look at the hud.

Cobra4B
01-26-2010, 9:25am
It's a necessity :yesnod: I like to walk up to the pass side while hitting unlock three times. Windows go down, and I reach in and unlock top. Then walk over to driver side and unlock top. Top's down in a couple seconds, and you didn't even get in the car yet. When you park, you close the top and lock driver side, then walk on over to the pass side and lock it. Then just walk away and hit lock three times. Once you do it a couple times it becomes very fluid series of events. :cheers:
Sounds like you've got it down :) It will be very nice to walk out of work on a warm spring evening and put the top down and roll.
I love it even on my coupe.

Pretty much only got it for the remote window control. The 15 min retained accessory power feature is nice too.

The only thing I don't like about it, is it's sensitivity to closing the windows. I find if I program it with the top on, it works fine until the one time I use it to close the windows with the top off, then they go right back down. It's like the window parks in a slightly different spot, and it mistakes this as an obstruction. Then I have to reprogram it again. Programming it to the "hard" setting has made no difference.
This can also happen if your windows aren't kept very clean...this can cause the two windows to travel up at slightly different speeds, one closes before the other, and the same thing happens, they go right back down.

Until you get a feel for it's reliability in this aspect, always make sure you look when using the remote to close the windows, or you can accidentally assume they are closed, when in reality they reversed and went right back down.

:cheers:
Thanks for the heads up Tom... that's good info.

zz4vetteguy
01-26-2010, 7:49pm
That's one of many toys I have not gotten yet.

Cobra4B
01-27-2010, 7:42pm
Got it installed and calibrated just now. Was sitting on the doorstep when I came home. No instructions and the instructions on the website suck... they mention you need a PIN, but don't tell you where to find it. Luckily a search of CF linked me to the actual install instructions that come w/ it when new via pdf on elite engineering's website. PIN is the last 4 of the serial number.

After figuring that out setup was straight-forward. I set it up so that only the window up/down features are used. The previous owner (of the window valet, not my car) had a recorded top speed of just under 100, and the panic feature seems pointless and stupid.

I will pay close attention to the windows when using the auto-up feature and make sure to keep the glass clean etc.

-Brian

Munch
01-27-2010, 7:57pm
I don't understand the panic feature at all. Someone once said it's so you can tell the police your speedo is broken when you get pulled over speeding but it seems to me that would just get you another ticket to repair the speedo.

Cobra4B
01-27-2010, 10:03pm
It seems like something a typical computer programmer would do though... "hey look I can do this so I'll just make it a feature"

Cobra4B
01-28-2010, 1:33pm
Well being as it's 60 and sunny here today I just took a nice 45 min lunch cruise to run some errands and put the valet to good use... worked fine w/o issue Very nice to not have to get in the car to put the top up/down.

zz4vetteguy
01-28-2010, 1:42pm
Well being as it's 60 and sunny here today I just took a nice 45 min lunch cruise to run some errands and put the valet to good use... worked fine w/o issue Very nice to not have to get in the car to put the top up/down.

I don't like you today Brian...I am laid up home with a stomach virus and was just thinking how damn nice it is outside.

:p:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Cobra4B
03-09-2010, 2:04pm
UPDATE: Product has worked perfectly so far... really makes putting the top up/down a faster/easier task.

Tulsa Vette Guy
03-17-2010, 2:08pm
I ordered my window valet and installed it, It was very simple to do, and yes, I think it is a great product, It really comes in useful, I mainly use it for the windows, but you may find the other programmable features helpful. I should have had it a long time ago.:dance:

Cobra4B
03-17-2010, 2:10pm
Been using it a bunch lately.... it's very nice to be able to walk up to the car put down the windows, then unlatch the passenger side latch, then the drivers and put the dop down all w/o ever getting in the car. Also allows any hot air to escape. Even better in reverse when parking b/c I don't have to get back in and put the key in putting the windows back up.

Peter Pan
03-17-2010, 2:26pm
I have one for both Vettes, on the C6 use it alot in the summer to roll down the windows to let out heat or reach in for something. On the C5 it is great for when I have to get my fat arse out of the Vette when on the trailer as the one I have I can not open the door. So when I get out up goes the windows and down when I need to climb back inhttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c293/elsloan22/emotions/thumbsup.gif

WKMCD
03-17-2010, 6:16pm
If I'm just parking somewhere safe, I only latch the drivers side of the top. Walk up, put down the window with the Valet, unlatch the top, and youdon't even have to go to the passenger side. :seeya: