PDA

View Full Version : Does it need coffee????

zz4vetteguy
05-30-2011, 1:05pm
So, my 01 vert seems to be a little tired over the past two weeks. It seems to have lost some (well a lot) of it's umpf. It does not have the throw you back power that it used to have. No, it is not me just used to the car, the other morning leaving work after a rainy night, I mashed the go fast pedal and on a wet road it would not break loose the tires.

Besides a lack of power it still seems to run OK, and it has not thrown any codes. The only thing I have noticed is that my gas mileage has gotten a little worse.

Anyone have any thought, suggestions, or ideas?

Shrek
05-30-2011, 7:29pm
I've heard of clogged cats acting like that. Check the exhaust flow at the tips during idle, then have someone rev it.

zz4vetteguy
05-31-2011, 12:44am
I've heard of clogged cats acting like that. Check the exhaust flow at the tips during idle, then have someone rev it.

Hmmm, that is a good idea, the headers from the marathon install do run a little warmer, and I know when I installed the ZZ4 crate motor in my C4 that the exess heat screwed up the cats....but hopefully that is not the case since these are the cats that came with the headers. I will try that tomorrow.

Thanks Jeff :cheers: ....or was it your wife's idea. :leaving:

allthrottleandsomebottle
05-31-2011, 6:19am
Bring it to my mini barn...........we can trouble shoot easy :)

03SlowZ06
05-31-2011, 7:40am
I would suggest a basic tune up. Plugs, wires, filter, and some seafoam.

RetiredSFC 97
05-31-2011, 1:31pm
Someone on the other place just had this issue and it was clogged cats.

zz4vetteguy
05-31-2011, 9:02pm
I would suggest a basic tune up. Plugs, wires, filter, and some seafoam.

New plugs & wires less then a year ago, and I seafoam every January, and July.

zz4vetteguy
05-31-2011, 9:03pm
Bring it to my mini barn...........we can trouble shoot easy :)

We will have to set up time to do that...my weekends are slammed the next two weeks...ugh

zz4vetteguy
05-31-2011, 9:09pm
On the drive into work tonight I tried to put it through the paces once I was on the interstate and at a normal throttle it runs ok, but at WOT it gets a little wonky. From a standing start at a stoplight, my 0 - 60 was almost 10 seconds.

I got a Check Engine light tonight, and pulled the codes with my code scanner...

P0101 "Mass or Volume Air Flow Range/Performance Problem"
P0102 "Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Imput"

sooo...I am thinking maybe my MAF Sensor...yes, no?

I just cleaned out my filter and cleaned out the Varamam imput ducts so I know they are not clogged.

I reset the codes to see if they pop up again on my drive home tomorrow.

zz4vetteguy
05-31-2011, 9:11pm

I had my father put his hand over the exhaust when I got home, and he said there was flow at idle and a noticable change at a moderatly light rev.

zz4vetteguy
05-31-2011, 9:11pm
Someone on the other place just had this issue and it was clogged cats.

I would hate to think I would have to bore out the cats on this one too. :leaving:

zz4vetteguy
06-05-2011, 10:43pm
Steve, need to find time to get up with you...just so I can make sure it is the MAF

allthrottleandsomebottle
06-06-2011, 6:08am
PM me and we can see about a day :D

allthrottleandsomebottle
06-06-2011, 6:39am
On the drive into work tonight I tried to put it through the paces once I was on the interstate and at a normal throttle it runs ok, but at WOT it gets a little wonky. From a standing start at a stoplight, my 0 - 60 was almost 10 seconds.

I got a Check Engine light tonight, and pulled the codes with my code scanner...

P0101 "Mass or Volume Air Flow Range/Performance Problem"
P0102 "Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Imput"

sooo...I am thinking maybe my MAF Sensor...yes, no?

I just cleaned out my filter and cleaned out the Varamam imput ducts so I know they are not clogged.

I reset the codes to see if they pop up again on my drive home tomorrow.

Also some things to check......vacumn leak, wire chaff through, etc:
GearChatter.com :: View topic - DTC P0101 (http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic10728.php)

zz4vetteguy
06-07-2011, 4:53am
PM me and we can see about a day :D

PM is on the way...maybe we can make a tech day out of it....I am sure I am not the only one who will ever have this problem.

zz4vetteguy
06-07-2011, 4:54am
Also some things to check......vacumn leak, wire chaff through, etc:
GearChatter.com :: View topic - DTC P0101 (http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic10728.php)

:willy: it is 5 till 0600 and my shift is almost over, I am WAY to tired to comprehend that right now...LOL

allthrottleandsomebottle
06-07-2011, 6:18am
I am WAY to tired to comprehend that right now...LOL

PM sent................RIF...........READING IS FUNDEMENTAL to trouble shooting.....suck it up buttercup!!!!!!:lol:
I have done plenty of those shifts.............your suppose to be wide awake, drink more crown at 2-3am :dance:

zz4vetteguy
06-08-2011, 12:56am
PM sent................RIF...........READING IS FUNDEMENTAL to trouble shooting.....suck it up buttercup!!!!!!:lol:
I have done plenty of those shifts.............your suppose to be wide awake, drink more crown at 2-3am :dance:

Steve I tell ya, I have drank more coffee in the month I have been doing overnights then I have in the past two years. :shots:

zz4vetteguy
06-13-2011, 3:46am
I got a new code yesterday when I was driving home and I hit clear instead of save...ugh.

It was doing something different on the way home from work yesterday. I could press on the accellorator a little, halfway, or 3/4 and the car would maintain a steady speed, then after a few seconds, something would kick in, and it was like someone gave the car a shot of NOS. Even at 70mph, it would throw me back in the seat.

RetiredSFC 97
06-13-2011, 12:32pm
I got a new code yesterday when I was driving home and I hit clear instead of save...ugh.

It was doing something different on the way home from work yesterday. I could press on the accellorator a little, halfway, or 3/4 and the car would maintain a steady speed, then after a few seconds, something would kick in, and it was like someone gave the car a shot of NOS. Even at 70mph, it would throw me back in the seat.

Could the throttle position sensor cause this?

zz4vetteguy
06-16-2011, 3:37am
Ok....so here are the codes I pulled off the car today...

P0131 - O2 sensor circuit low voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0151 - O2 sensor circuit low voltave (Bank 2 Sensor 1)
P0101 - Mass or volume air flow circuit range/performance problem
P1133 - HO2S1 Insufficient switches (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P1153 - HO2S1 Insufficient switches (Bank 2 Sendor 1)

Any thoughts?

03SlowZ06
06-18-2011, 8:49pm
Check all the fuses.

zz4vetteguy
06-18-2011, 11:28pm
Check all the fuses.

How dare you bring logical simple thinking into my world. :cheers:

03SlowZ06
06-18-2011, 11:52pm
Its a long shot, but worth a look. It would make more sense if the codes to be there constantly. If you want man just send me a PM and bring the car over to my place tomorrow if you have time. I will be working on swapping the Valve springs on my Z anyway. I can take a look at it.

Also the past half throttle boost makes sense if you do have an o2 issue. When the car goes into PE it uses predetermined tables not based on current readings.

zz4vetteguy
06-21-2011, 12:20am
Its a long shot, but worth a look. It would make more sense if the codes to be there constantly. If you want man just send me a PM and bring the car over to my place tomorrow if you have time. I will be working on swapping the Valve springs on my Z anyway. I can take a look at it.

Also the past half throttle boost makes sense if you do have an o2 issue. When the car goes into PE it uses predetermined tables not based on current readings.

Sorry, I slept right through your post...when I work midnights I don't usully get on here till I am at work and bored. I will take a look, also have some wires to look at too. Thanks :cheers:

zz4vetteguy
07-27-2011, 2:32pm
Well, played with some wires, tapped some fuses, got my hands dirty, a little blood, and a LOT of cursing...I finally got around to buying and replacing the Mas Air Flow Sensor, and...

...well to quote Elton John and Austin Powers...

THE BITCH IS BACK", "YEAH BABY, YEAH"!!! :D

RetiredSFC 97
07-27-2011, 3:18pm
Well, played with some wires, tapped some fuses, got my hands dirty, a little blood, and a LOT of cursing...I finally got around to buying and replacing the Mas Air Flow Sensor, and...

Glad to hear that!:hurray:

allthrottleandsomebottle
07-28-2011, 10:22am

Hahaha.............good detective work sherlok :D

zz4vetteguy
07-28-2011, 12:15pm
Hahaha.............good detective work sherlok :D

I did not do it alone, thanks to all of you who gave me tips and pointers and things to look for!!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers: