PDA

View Full Version : Traction Control

Munch
12-25-2009, 9:48am
Curious how much of a performance loss there is when using traction control. I don't have the competition mode so don't care about that.

I guess my question is this: If you were to run a 1/4 mile, one pass using traction control and just flooring it from the light and the other pass without traction control but applying throttle so as to retain traction... what kind of time differences might you have?

For this comparison lets say the car is an A4 with 3.42 gears and 410 rwhp on street tires.

Eagleeye
12-25-2009, 10:17am
My guess is...too many varibles to make one conclusion. Probably...the better natural driver you are the less difference there would be and if you had "Ranger" experience you may do better without TC...

Munch
12-25-2009, 10:46am
OK, lets say zero track experience, I'm just looking for generalities here.

Y2Kvert4me
12-25-2009, 12:35pm
You will run considerably slower leaving TC on.

It cuts too much power for too long, and even a mediocre driver can react and modulate the throttle in a much quicker fashion. You will lose at least 1/2 second each time TC intervenes. And then when it's done doing it's job, you're basically starting over with no engine/drivetrain momentum.

A very small amount of wheelspin is not a bad thing, as long as you react and ease off the throttle slightly when the tires do begin to slip, which should restore traction, all while still accelerating and keeping RPM's up.

The goal on street tires is basically to keep the tires right at their limit of traction.

:cheers:

Jeffyvette
12-25-2009, 11:37pm
Curious how much of a performance loss there is when using traction control. I don't have the competition mode so don't care about that.

My 00 had comp mode. Just hold down the button for 10-15 sec and it should come up on the DIC.

Y2Kvert4me
12-25-2009, 11:41pm
My 00 had comp mode. Just hold down the button for 10-15 sec and it should come up on the DIC.Comp mode only exists with the Active Handling option.

Comp mode = TC off, AH on....Without AH, there's nothing to leave on.

:cheers:

Junkman2008
12-26-2009, 9:05pm
I never turn my traction control off and when I drop the pedal, my tires don't spin and my take off of is like lightening. The key is in how you drop the pedal, the tires you're running, how the suspension is setup on the car and the experience of the driver. It also depends on how the car is driven daily as to how the car is going to take off. I'm king of the jack rabbit starts so my car always comes off the line like a jack rabbit because I drive it like that all the time.

All my cars respond that way. I don't worry about the cost of gas or my mileage because driving the way I do is NOT conducive to either. :yesnod:

Munch
12-26-2009, 9:33pm
The key is in how you drop the pedal

I'm guessing you mean you don't just stomp on the pedal when taking off.

It also depends on how the car is driven daily as to how the car is going to take off. I'm king of the jack rabbit starts so my car always comes off the line like a jack rabbit because I drive it like that all the time.

With all due respect; I'm by no means an expert on these things but I question the validity of this statement.

Junkman2008
12-26-2009, 9:57pm
I'm guessing you mean you don't just stomp on the pedal when taking off.

Correct. I know just how hard to come down without spinning the tires. That takes seat time and practice.

With all due respect; I'm by no means an expert on these things but I question the validity of this statement.

No question about it. A car responds the way you dive it. If you baby the thing for 5 years and then decide to stomp the pedal, the car will probably try and kill over. At the same time, if you stomp the thing everywhere you go, it is always ready to respond.

If you don't drive the thing at all, the seals will dry rot and the car will be useless for anything other than staring at. It's like anything, use it or loose it. I use mine for what it was made for on plenty of occasions.

YouTube- Junkman's 2009 CABC Laps at Atlanta Motor Speedway - Part 1!

Notice how many cars with more horsepower than I have that I passed. The first yellow one and the white one were both Z06's. Then of course there were the C6's. Mine is a totally stock A4 Coupe.

Munch
12-26-2009, 10:47pm
No question about it. A car responds the way you dive it. If you baby the thing for 5 years and then decide to stomp the pedal, the car will probably try and kill over. At the same time, if you stomp the thing everywhere you go, it is always ready to respond.

OK, I agree with you there. :D

Great video, looks like an awesome time! You sound like a little kid getting all excited out there, had me laughing the whole time! :lolsmile: I would probably be the same way! Git Some!:rofl:

Junkman2008
12-26-2009, 11:48pm
OK, I agree with you there. :D

Great video, looks like an awesome time! You sound like a little kid getting all excited out there, had me laughing the whole time! :lolsmile: I would probably be the same way! Git Some!:rofl:

You should have heard me the first time I ever did that. I sounded more like a six year old school girl! :o_o:

Every time I go around that puppy it's like the first time. I don't think I'll ever calm down! :lol:

Mike Mercury
01-01-2010, 11:22am
You will run considerably slower leaving TC on.

exactly.

Many falsely believe that Traction Control is a performance enhancing system on the C5. It is not. :nono:

It's designed to help grandma get home during snowy/icy conditions... and nothing more.

Junkman2008
01-01-2010, 11:37am
exactly.

Many falsely believe that Traction Control is a performance enhancing system on the C5. It is not. :nono:

It's designed to help grandma get home during snowy/icy conditions... and nothing more.

Maybe if you drive out of control.

It is not a performance added feature, it is there to save your butt if you loose control. If you do not drive the car on the edge, it will stay out of your way and let you drive the car.

The problem with traction control is that too many people THINK they have the skills to drive close to the edge without it and turn it off when in fact, they should leave it on. There are those who can drive on the edge without it, but they are far and few in between. Here's one who can:

YouTube- Ken Block Gymkhana Training