PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Q & A?

edcmat-l1
12-20-2009, 9:01am
Anyone wanna start a tuning Q & A? Maybe make it a sticky?

thegreenman
12-20-2009, 9:48am
Good idea Ed.

1. If you want the best tune, see Ed.

2. Why would someone want to buy tune software?

I bought mine mainly so I could change tire size at the track but now want to learn a lot more about how the Vette works and didn't even make it to the track this year.

3. Lets start with the basics, what software is available and what do you think are the pro/cons of each (Ed)?

EFILive (scan and tune) -

HPTuner (scanner, VCM & VCM Pro)-

Tunercat -

TunerPro -

edcmat-l1
12-20-2009, 10:16am
Good idea Ed.

1. If you want the best tune, see Ed.

Thanks Jeff LOL.

2. Why would someone want to buy tune software?

I don't know. They should just leave it up to the few who are good at it. J/K LOL

I bought mine mainly so I could change tire size at the track but now want to learn a lot more about how the Vette works and didn't even make it to the track this year.

3. Lets start with the basics, what software is available and what do you think are the pro/cons of each (Ed)?

EFILive (scan and tune) -

Versatility. Free custom OSs. Free licensing for 97-98. Virtual VE for E38s, and I believe E67s, but have not used it for them yet.

The drawbacks are it is complicated to use. More so than HPT. But, it can do alot more.

HPTuner (scanner, VCM & VCM Pro)-

Cheaper, easier to use, better coverage. Licensing counts towards unlimited licenses.

Drawbacks are custom OSs cost. The Virtual VE is a custom OS, and costs. Not quite as versatile as EFIlive.

Tunercat -

Coverage. OBD2, OBD1, LT1, chips, etc. The OBD1 stuff is CHEAP. Unlimited licensing. Buy the definition file, and tune as many cars as you want.

Drawbacks, no scanner. That's the biggie.

TunerPro -

Has integrated scanner. Nice software. Cheap. Lack of coverage is it's biggest drawback.

thegreenman
12-21-2009, 12:49am
I don't know much about the programs yet, I bought EFILive because I heard a lot of good stuff about it and I thought the guys at HPTuners had some attitude issues that turned me off, they don't seem so cocky lately for some reason.

The only bad thing I have noticed with EFILive is there isn't a lot of posted tun files online to look at.

I just ordered HPTuners because there seems to be more support for it and there are a lot of tun files out thee to look at, I should have it in a couple of days.

I plan on using both EFILive and HPTuner and as as Ed has pointed out they both have pros and cons.

I will have to look into Tunercat and TunerPro also.

edcmat-l1
12-21-2009, 12:56pm
I don't know much about the programs yet, I bought EFILive because I heard a lot of good stuff about it and I thought the guys at HPTuners had some attitude issues that turned me off, they don't seem so cocky lately for some reason.

The only bad thing I have noticed with EFILive is there isn't a lot of posted tun files online to look at.

I just ordered HPTuners because there seems to be more support for it and there are a lot of tun files out thee to look at, I should have it in a couple of days.

I plan on using both EFILive and HPTuner and as as Ed has pointed out they both have pros and cons.

I will have to look into Tunercat and TunerPro also.

Tunercat and tunerpro have no coverage for later model vehicles. They're for much earlier stuff. You won't need them unless you plan on tuning OBD1 cars, chip cars, LT1s etc.

thegreenman
12-22-2009, 1:07am
Tunercat and tunerpro have no coverage for later model vehicles. They're for much earlier stuff. You won't need them unless you plan on tuning OBD1 cars, chip cars, LT1s etc.

Thanks Ed, I will keep them in mind if I ever do a project car later.