PDA

View Full Version : 2023 has been an interesting year

KenHorse
12-10-2023, 3:15pm
This is long because I'm venting..

In July of 2022, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, after having a biopsy done. For those of you who know the details of such, my Gleason was 8. As a followup, I also underwent a PET scan (apparently, being scanned by my cats don't count although I still say that is a CAT scan) where they determined the cancer was totally contained within the gland.

So good so far, right?

Coincidentally, they also found a nodule in my right lower lung (it was only 2 cm big so surgery was an option). Yay me!

Anyway, after consultation with both my urologist, a radiation oncologist and pulmonologist, I opted for surgery to remove the prostate, to be followed by removal of my right lower lung lobe 3 months after that.

Prostate surgery was scheduled for Nov of 2022 but 2 days prior, I came down with the flu (not Covid). So that was rescheduled for Jan 31, 2023. I had it done then (my wife's birthday by the way :lol:). Surgery went well and pathology showed 100% contained, clear margins and no lymph node involvement. Gleason score was downgraded to 7. PSA levels remain undetectable (so far)

So on April 3rd, I underwent surgery again for the lung and that also went well. Pathology again showed all contained, clear margins and no lymph node involvement. No need for chemo and another scan at end of October showed NED (no evidence of disease).

2 months later, I developed a chyle leak (check out chylothorax for more info). After weeks and weeks of a very low fat diet, the leak remained so on June 21st, I went back to surgery to fix the leak.

So far, I've been good overall so...

I don't want to hear your bitching about how minorities are oppressed.

Tikiman
12-10-2023, 3:20pm
Hope things start to look up for you. :thumbs:

KenHorse
12-10-2023, 3:22pm

Wanna know the truly frightening part?

Never needed anything stronger than acetaminophen after each surgery and recovery wasn't all that big a deal. Guess I can take a punch :D

snide
12-10-2023, 3:55pm
Congrats on staying on the right side of the dirt! :thumbs::thumbs:

Oh, and welcome back! :cheers:

04 commemorative
12-10-2023, 4:00pm
Glad things worked out for you,I hope you continue to stay healthy now. Wife and I had a terrible 2023 also.

Taurus
12-10-2023, 4:03pm
Sorry to hear it Ken, almost feel bad for all those arguments in the past. :D

Hope you continue getting better, hate to see anyone go through that much.

Good luck sir.

RMVette
12-10-2023, 4:30pm
Wow, I hope 2024 is a better year for ya!

Swany00
12-10-2023, 4:40pm
Hope you stay healthy and good to see you posting:seasix:

Raazor
12-10-2023, 4:46pm
sKrong like bull :yesnod:

KenHorse
12-10-2023, 4:48pm

Is that an ED joke?

Budman
12-10-2023, 4:49pm
Glad you’re doing better, here’s to happier and healthier 2024!

MikeB
12-10-2023, 5:03pm
Good luck man.

**** cancer.

dwjz06
12-10-2023, 6:45pm
Good luck man.

**** cancer.Yeah this.:cert:

slewfoot
12-10-2023, 7:46pm
How did they find the leak? Breathing issues or from the lung surgery?

Anjdog2003
12-10-2023, 7:47pm

In July of 2022, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, after having a biopsy done. For those of you who know the details of such, my Gleason was 8. As a followup, I also underwent a PET scan (apparently, being scanned by my cats don't count although I still say that is a CAT scan) where they determined the cancer was totally contained within the gland.

So good so far, right?

Coincidentally, they also found a nodule in my right lower lung (it was only 2 cm big so surgery was an option). Yay me!

Anyway, after consultation with both my urologist, a radiation oncologist and pulmonologist, I opted for surgery to remove the prostate, to be followed by removal of my right lower lung lobe 3 months after that.

Prostate surgery was scheduled for Nov of 2022 but 2 days prior, I came down with the flu (not Covid). So that was rescheduled for Jan 31, 2023. I had it done then (my wife's birthday by the way :lol:). Surgery went well and pathology showed 100% contained, clear margins and no lymph node involvement. Gleason score was downgraded to 7. PSA levels remain undetectable (so far)

So on April 3rd, I underwent surgery again for the lung and that also went well. Pathology again showed all contained, clear margins and no lymph node involvement. No need for chemo and another scan at end of October showed NED (no evidence of disease).

2 months later, I developed a chyle leak (check out chylothorax for more info). After weeks and weeks of a very low fat diet, the leak remained so on June 21st, I went back to surgery to fix the leak.

BLM

KenHorse
12-10-2023, 7:52pm
BLM

ALM

The_Dude
12-10-2023, 7:53pm
Glad you're ok! :seasix:

KenHorse
12-10-2023, 7:53pm
How did they find the leak? Breathing issues or from the lung surgery?

They never really copped to it but it pretty much had to be due to my lobectomy (right lower lobe).

Until the surgery to correct it, I had to have my chest drained (took anywhere from 800 ml to about 2 liters out each time) about once a week because of shortness of breath and high heart rate, yea

KenHorse
12-10-2023, 7:56pm
Glad you're ok! :seasix:

Thanks, I'm alright
(would never be alleft)

Dan47
12-10-2023, 8:04pm
Nice to see you posting in a free fire zone and I hope you continue to get better. Cancer sucks, I hope I can be as calm and collected when it’s my turn. :kimblair:

KenHorse
12-10-2023, 8:42pm
Nice to see you posting in a free fire zone and I hope you continue to get better. Cancer sucks, I hope I can be as calm and collected when it’s my turn. :kimblair:

Spent a LOT of time researching as much as I could before each surgery, so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect.

I must say I am amazed how little anxiety I had beforehand. They tell me that is a huge factor in how your recovery goes

slewfoot
12-10-2023, 9:02pm
I've had a total of 11 surgeries over the past 10 years, a few were serious and as far as anxiety, it had to be done and went it with "fk it."

Now when my wife had a couple surgeries, (one last spring) that is where the anxiety comes in for me without letting her see it.

KenHorse
12-10-2023, 9:26pm
I've had a total of 11 surgeries over the past 10 years, a few were serious and as far as anxiety, it had to be done and went it with "fk it."

Now when my wife had a couple surgeries, (one last spring) that is where the anxiety comes in for me without letting her see it.

Gotcha beat (3 majors within 6 months) :D

donuts
12-10-2023, 9:33pm
Glad you whipped it.. ‘23 was rough here as well.. ‘24 can’t get here quick enough

TheHammer
12-10-2023, 9:34pm

So good so far, right?

you're a bad ass!

KenHorse
12-10-2023, 9:41pm
you're a bad ass!

And don't you forget it! :lol:

Steve_R
12-10-2023, 10:31pm
Glad you’re doing well. Life without a prostate has advantages. :seasix:

Loco Vette
12-11-2023, 3:59pm

So good so far, right?

Tough row to hoe but sounds like you should have a good prognosis. Hang in there bud!

04 commemorative
12-11-2023, 5:58pm
Glad you’re doing well. Life without a prostate has advantages. :seasix:

Curious,what would the advantages be ?

KenHorse
12-11-2023, 6:11pm
Curious,what would the advantages be ?

Can't impregnate would be the big one

Steve_R
12-11-2023, 6:29pm
Can't impregnate would be the big one

That, and no mess. Everything works fine. :seasix: