PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps, How does this happen?

slewfoot
04-30-2023, 8:28am
I was google mapping around the area. Looking at my kids house up in Utah and all. I came back to my neighborhood going up and down the streets.

I know they automatically blur out license plates but one particular house is blurred out.

How does this happen? Can this be done by request?

Rodnok1
04-30-2023, 9:00am
Yes you can request it be blurred. Came about over domestic abuse and stalkers.

Frankie the Fink
04-30-2023, 9:16am
Correct and if you want to avoid people hijacking your home network investigate the SSID naming options of "optout" and "nomap"

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-30-2023, 9:19am
Can't speak for houses but I understand how license plates can be blurred. Camera tech has advanced to the point it can recognize the eye of an animal, track it, and use that for focusing. All that's needed at that point is some computational photography in the form of a blur and voilà - blurred plates.

Black94lt1
04-30-2023, 9:46am
I was google mapping around the area. Looking at my kids house up in Utah and all. I came back to my neighborhood going up and down the streets.

I know they automatically blur out license plates but one particular house is blurred out.

How does this happen? Can this be done by request?

I noticed this same thing recently when looking up an address - the house next door was blurred out. I assume it is a request by the owner

Mike Mercury
04-30-2023, 9:47am
the thing about license plates... the plate number is not a secret or protected. It is a part of the public record.

Although I can appreciate the blurring out; I don't think there is any legal reason to.

6spdC6
04-30-2023, 10:00am
the thing about license plates... the plate number is not a secret or protected. It is a part of the public record.

Although I can appreciate the blurring out; I don't think there is any legal reason to.

In the many years I went to Carlisle and a few other shows many times saw people walking around and taking pictures of cars with "vanity plates". I doubt they had anything nasty in mind they just like to collect plates with a message.

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-30-2023, 10:06am

This question has come up; why do people block out their plates when posting pics of their cars?

Aerovette
04-30-2023, 11:49am
This question has come up; why do people block out their plates when posting pics of their cars?

People on the road can road rage and later that day, life goes on and eventually both parties forget about the incident. On the internet however, there are topics that continue on and enrage the other person and can make them obsessed with revenge and taking extreme measures to get it. On any given day, about 50-100 people may see my plate and few would remember it. Compare that to how many people see a picture of a plate on the world wide web. Pure speculation on my part.

bsmith
04-30-2023, 12:18pm

I still do it, because my state still has the county number as the beginning of the number.
As common as my name is, I'm the only one in the county.
So my home can be found...very easily.

Bill
04-30-2023, 12:32pm
I admit on occasion I have used the Google maps to navigate. I also understand that when something is free, YOU are the product. Anyone interested who has a few centavos, can learn where and when I traveled, the exact destination I went to. It's discomfiting. I preferred my GPS navigation, but after two Garmins, and one built in Dodge nav all pretty much went haywire, I stopped buying them. Maybe I should just get another one and consider that it will only work for a couple of years, then I throw it away, like a disposable camera when all the film has been used up.

BRUIZER
04-30-2023, 12:41pm
There is no "street view" within 8 miles of us. :cert:

Taurus
04-30-2023, 12:43pm

I'll give you a good example why. I have a very low mileage, one of one 79 L82 Corvette that I use primarily for car shows. I posted a picture at CF, that's the only place I posted that particular picture, and one of the minions photoshopped it and used that photo to report the car to Salt Lake County's anonymous excessive emissions web site. A couple days later I got the letter below.

No harm no foul, told the county the car had not even been out of the garage yet nor has it ever been in the location it was claimed to be at along with what I assumed happened with the picture. They cancelled the complaint.

No matter where you go there will be people that think a stunt like that is both funny and justifiable.

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=3325

Bill
04-30-2023, 12:49pm
I'll give you a good example why. I have a very low mileage, one of one 79 L82 Corvette that I use primarily for car shows. I posted a picture at CF, that's the only place I posted that particular picture, and one of the minions photoshopped it and used that photo to report the car to Salt Lake County's anonymous excessive emissions web site. A couple days later I got the letter below.

No harm no foul, told the county the car had not even been out of the garage yet nor has it ever been in the location it was claimed to be at along with what I assumed happened with the picture. They cancelled the complaint.

No matter where you go there will be people that think a stunt like that is both funny and justifiable.

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=3325

That is despicable, and it's actual evidence of govt. being weaponized against people.....lawfare. You were able to quash this probably with a simple letter of rebuttal, so just a minor inconvenience, but the same tactic has been used over and over to financially ruin people for any number of reasons, not the least of which is, political viewpoint.

The fact that somebody from the bad place (tm pending) did that to you.....it doesn't say anything good about that place.

Taurus
04-30-2023, 12:53pm
That is despicable, and it's actual evidence of govt. being weaponized against people.....lawfare. You were able to quash this probably with a simple letter of rebuttal, so just a minor inconvenience, but the same tactic has been used over and over to financially ruin people for any number of reasons, not the least of which is, political viewpoint.

The fact that somebody from the bad place (tm pending) did that to you.....it doesn't say anything good about that place.

It actually only took a phone call to the number they provided. The question literally was "does your car smoke?". In any case, your point is well taken.

I guess I could have gone to my lawyer and threatened to sue CF. :rofl:

Giraffe (He/Him)
04-30-2023, 1:57pm
I'll give you a good example why.

What kind of douchebag does this? Unreal.

Taurus
04-30-2023, 2:10pm

The kind that feels a need to harass a person because they disagree about politics. Wasn't the only thing I've had to put up with, I could tell you stuff you wouldn't believe. Partly why I'm reluctant to back down when I probably should.

PLRX
04-30-2023, 2:15pm

shit, an asshole took my plate from the CF and reported me to DMV. I had to take it to a star station for inspection only.

Yes, blur your plate

Yadkin
04-30-2023, 3:15pm
Photoshop a car, bad. Photoshop a face, ok. Some here have selective outrage.:Jeff '79:

bsmith
04-30-2023, 4:24pm

Years ago I had someone at CF contact my employer and my wife to try to stir shit up.
Miserable losers everywhere.

Taurus
04-30-2023, 4:54pm
Years ago I had someone at CF contact my employer and my wife to try to stir shit up.
Miserable losers everywhere.

Been there, I was the VP of Store Operations for a large national auto parts firm before I retired in 2021 and one day I got a call from Larry, the president and founder to let me know he was getting phone and email messages about me questioning if I should be allowed to represent his company. We've known each other for a long time so he laughed it off but still it was pretty aggravating.

This post showed up on CF the next day, class act eh?

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=342&pictureid=3634

cptlo306
04-30-2023, 5:01pm
Wow....some folks take this stuff way too seriously. There is no justification for doing that kind of stuff due to posts on an online forum

Taurus
04-30-2023, 5:04pm
Wow....some folks take this stuff way too seriously. There is no justification for doing that kind of stuff due to posts on an online forum

I agree, fragile little men who justify acting like this because your opinions are different. It's why things had to change there, a lot of this stuff going on and it was going to get messy. We can't let them start this crap over here, I know who they are.

Taurus
04-30-2023, 7:47pm
shit, an asshole took my plate from the CF and reported me to DMV. I had to take it to a star station for inspection only.

Yes, blur your plate

Wasn't me Pete. :D

Aerovette
04-30-2023, 8:43pm
I agree, fragile little men who justify acting like this because your opinions are different. It's why things had to change there, a lot of this stuff going on and it was going to get messy. We can't let them start this crap over here, I know who they are.

I would make the analogy about the Barn or the other place. Mind you, this is MY perspective. Other people are lunatics so it doesn't work for them, BUT my analogy is to the cartoon with the Sheepdog and the Wolf.

I can hate your politics and wonder how long your head has been wedged up yer ass, but on a different topic, be in total agreement. The conflict in a thread is the beginning and the end. The 8:00 to 5:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECa1toPGth4&t=156s

Bill
04-30-2023, 9:00pm
Well, for me, I'm keeping a list, and some of you are on it. You know who you are.

:ohnoes:

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExM2I3N2UwYjAyYTFkNDA3NGI0MTJhNmU2MTVmOTJkMjRjYmY0ZDg5NiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZzX2dpZklkJmN0PWc/5wWf7GVzuAJ553jPcMU/giphy.gif

:D

Taurus
04-30-2023, 9:37pm
I would make the analogy about the Barn or the other place. Mind you, this is MY perspective. Other people are lunatics so it doesn't work for them, BUT my analogy is to the cartoon with the Sheepdog and the Wolf.

I can hate your politics and wonder how long your head has been wedged up yer ass, but on a different topic, be in total agreement. The conflict in a thread is the beginning and the end. The 8:00 to 5:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECa1toPGth4&t=156s

I totally agree with you and I've found VB a better place to post for that reason. I could tell the CF crowd the sky was blue and the responses would be about Romney along with the same worn out insults. Here you get told to eat a bag of dicks and everyone moves on. :D

I also can't comprehend the hatred it would take for me to reach out to someone's employer in an attempt to disrupt a forum member's life to that extent, just unbelievable. While there are members I would prefer not to interact with I would never take anything to that level. I just avoid them.

Giraffe (He/Him)
05-01-2023, 4:38am
I can hate your politics and wonder how long your head has been wedged up yer ass

Of course they could hate your politics and wonder the same. :Jeff '79:

Frankie the Fink
05-01-2023, 6:29am
In the many years I went to Carlisle and a few other shows many times saw people walking around and taking pictures of cars with "vanity plates". I doubt they had anything nasty in mind they just like to collect plates with a message.
Hmmm.79758

6spdC6
05-01-2023, 6:53am
Hmmm.79758

Well that does tell a tale no doubt, but we are talking about real license plates!:D

LATB
05-01-2023, 7:03am

Or understand the insanity and not wonder at all.

Giraffe (He/Him)
05-01-2023, 7:42am
Or understand the insanity and not wonder at all.

Here’s what I don’t get. I have some friends who are ‘normal’ in every way. They work, pay their bills, contribute to society in meaningful ways and raise their kids the same.

Yet they buy into this BLM bullshit, the Trans bullshit, the racial bullshit, all the bullshit. These aren’t young people either. These are people my age who in my opinion should see right through this crap but don’t.

Young people have a different set of values than people my age. They don’t GAF about the things I do. But these people, these disconnected adults who’ve hit their 60’s and have surely seen some tough times swallow this BLM bullshit whole.

How do you value hard work and sacrifice and in the same breath feel reparations are valid? WT Almighty ****, Chuck.

dvarapala
05-01-2023, 9:58am
Correct and if you want to avoid people hijacking your home network investigate the SSID naming options of "optout" and "nomap"

Because black hat hackers all respect your privacy and won't try to crack your WiFi if you use those SSIDs? :shrug:

Taurus
05-01-2023, 10:05am

and they do. Doesn't necessarily make him a bad person though and people need to remember that.

dvarapala
05-01-2023, 10:05am
Well, for me, I'm keeping a list, and some of you are on it. You know who you are.

:ohnoes:

https://media.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExM2I3N2UwYjAyYTFkNDA3NGI0MTJhNmU2MTVmOTJkMjRjYmY0ZDg5NiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZzX2dpZklkJmN0PWc/5wWf7GVzuAJ553jPcMU/giphy.gif

:D

I wonder whose list is longer? :lol:

Chemtrails99
05-01-2023, 11:32am
Knew somebody whose young teen looked up their house on Google maps. The photo had their father standing in the front yard BSing with a druggie family member that they weren't supposed to be having any more contact with. (They had moved to the house after contact was supposed to have ended, he wasn't supposed to even know where they lived.) No way for daddy to lie his way out of that one.....

bsmith
05-01-2023, 11:51am
Knew somebody whose young teen looked up their house on Google maps. The photo had their father standing in the front yard BSing with a druggie family member that they weren't supposed to be having any more contact with. (They had moved to the house after contact was supposed to have ended, he wasn't supposed to even know where they lived.) No way for daddy to lie his way out of that one.....

Long since removed, but Google Street View of a buddy's house showed his complete f'king loser that was on disability for a back injury, bent over in the bed of his truck picking up heavy materials.