PDA

View Full Version : C1 body kit made specifically for the C5

Lakota
11-07-2022, 9:00am
An interesting comment from the site I got this conversion.

"Gary Taninbaum
Years ago a guy drove into our Chevy dealer with a 63 split window, but it was on a 78 frame. So he literally took a 78 Vette, lifted the body off the car, & dropped the 63 body on it. He said it was plug, & play, & no modifications were needed."

C5 to C1 conversion pic below.

Tikiman
11-07-2022, 9:16am
I took these photos on Rt. 29 a couple of months ago. I give props for the period-correct wheels, but the overall look of the vehicle is "off".

zeek
11-07-2022, 9:44am
These things just never look right....:spdchk:

gs568
11-07-2022, 10:18am
Proportions.

DJ_Critterus
11-07-2022, 10:24am
I was hoping this fad died off.

6spdC6
11-07-2022, 10:45am
Back in the early part of this century I was a member of the C5 Registry We had 2 members that took their basically new C5 Verts and had it remade into a 53 look alike. It cost a serious bunch of money and while some proportions were off it did not look that bad.

Imagine all the power,, comforts, handling, breaking of a modern car in what looks like a very early Corvette. Not for me I will say but they liked their Frankenstein! I remember one came from around Atlanta Georgia!

dvarapala
11-07-2022, 11:25am
These things just never look right....:spdchk:

:iagree:

C5's ass is too big. :D

GTOguy
11-07-2022, 11:31am
I've seen two of these in Fresno in the past few years and in real life, they are a fail, IMO. The windshield is the huge tell initially, and then the wrong proportions kill it.
If you want a C5, buy and drive one. Excellent cars as-is.
And I'll stick with my C-1 as it is. 71866

StaticCling
11-07-2022, 11:44am
Years ago a guy drove into our Chevy dealer with a 63 split window, but it was on a 78 frame. So he literally took a 78 Vette, lifted the body off the car, & dropped the 63 body on it. He said it was plug, & play, & no modifications were needed."

63-82 Frames are the same I believe. :island14:

Bill
11-07-2022, 12:22pm
I took these photos on Rt. 29 a couple of months ago. I give props for the period-correct wheels, but the overall look of the vehicle is "off".

It is like Corvette and wide track Pontiac had a love child.

GTOguy
11-07-2022, 12:45pm

Yep. The only 'upgrade' for the '78 would be 4 wheel disc brakes and a stronger differential. The powertrain would be a huge downgrade from the '63 stuff, though.
The only reason to do a chassis swap like this would be the '63 had a rusted out frame.

Another reason would be if you wanted to reduce the value of your '63 by 50% or more, if a coupe.

zeek
11-07-2022, 6:56pm

Hmmm....I never thought of that. If this is true....My next project may be an aftermarket C2 body. Later model C3's can be had pretty damn cheap. Throw away the body and build a really cool Vette....:seasix: I always wanted to build a 63-67 coupe....:yesnod:

snide
11-07-2022, 7:43pm
Hmmm....I never thought of that. If this is true....My next project may be an aftermarket C2 body. Later model C3's can be had pretty damn cheap. Throw away the body and build a really cool Vette....:seasix: I always wanted to build a 63-67 coupe....:yesnod:

Same frame was used from '63 to '82. :yesnod:

MadInNc
11-07-2022, 8:39pm
Same frame was used from '63 to '82. :yesnod:

:yesnod:

Rikki Z-06
11-07-2022, 8:43pm

C5's ass is too big. :D

:kick:

SnikPlosskin
11-08-2022, 8:25am
Allow me to correct the record regarding C2 and C3 frames. They ARE NOT the same.

Source: I did the swap with an 81 chassis. The entire rear end from kick ups back is totally different. The body mounts are all in different places.

You have to splice C2 rear kick ups on to the newer chassis.

Another difference is the bolt in crossmember which is awesome.

The welding throughout is shitty. In the early 60s they were welded by hand with continuous beads. At some point GM wanted to save .37 so they robot welded in sections skipping about 10in on all seams between 10in of weld bead.

This doesn’t help torsional strength which already is bad on that car.

I spent three months, built a frame jig with a half inch plate of steel on I beams as a planar surface. We tack welded the old frame into the jig to set reference points.

Once we had the jig built, we ground off the tack welds and swapped in the newer frame and welded it in place. Instantly we could see where it needed adjustments. (We used laser levels and the AIM to bring every pin hole and dimension to factory.

We worked within 1/32” tolerances. The guys at the car club laughed and sad GM used 1/4” tolerances (likely exaggerated) so we were being far more accurate.

I also redid all the seam welds and repaired a crack in the front cradle (super common). Also the bumper mounts are totally different. We had to salvage those from the old chassis too.

Once we were done, we did a test fitting, lowering the body on to the frame. It fit exactly.

Then, acid dipped, anti rust inside and out, DP9 epoxy inside and out.

The car drives perfectly, sits perfectly and, besides the gussets we added, you can’t even tell. GM should have gusseted the rear anyway.

The bumpers fit perfectly.

We did have to ad the clutch tang in the front since the frame was from an auto car.

So don’t fool yourself when somebody says “they are exactly the same.”

Nope.

zeek
11-08-2022, 8:59am
Allow me to correct the record regarding C2 and C3 frames. They ARE NOT the same.

Source: I did the swap with an 81 chassis. The entire rear end from kick ups back is totally different. The body mounts are all in different places.

You have to splice C2 rear kick ups on to the newer chassis.

Another difference is the bolt in crossmember which is awesome.

The welding throughout is shitty. In the early 60s they were welded by hand with continuous beads. At some point GM wanted to save .37 so they robot welded in sections skipping about 10in on all seams between 10in of weld bead.

This doesn’t help torsional strength which already is bad on that car.

I spent three months, built a frame jig with a half inch plate of steel on I beams as a planar surface. We tack welded the old frame into the jig to set reference points.

Once we had the jig built, we ground off the tack welds and swapped in the newer frame and welded it in place. Instantly we could see where it needed adjustments. (We used laser levels and the AIM to bring every pin hole and dimension to factory.

We worked within 1/32” tolerances. The guys at the car club laughed and sad GM used 1/4” tolerances (likely exaggerated) so we were being far more accurate.

I also redid all the seam welds and repaired a crack in the front cradle (super common). Also the bumper mounts are totally different. We had to salvage those from the old chassis too.

Once we were done, we did a test fitting, lowering the body on to the frame. It fit exactly.

Then, acid dipped, anti rust inside and out, DP9 epoxy inside and out.

The car drives perfectly, sits perfectly and, besides the gussets we added, you can’t even tell. GM should have gusseted the rear anyway.

The bumpers fit perfectly.

We did have to ad the clutch tang in the front since the frame was from an auto car.

So don’t fool yourself when somebody says “they are exactly the same.”
Nope.

Thanks for bursting my bubble....:slap: Now how about some pics of what you did. Sounds like an amazing build..:seasix:

Strats-N-Vettes
11-08-2022, 9:46am
Windshields make em look like sh1t.

LATB
11-08-2022, 10:06am

markyerger
11-08-2022, 11:49am

how about a C3 body on a C5, C6 or C7?

SnikPlosskin
11-08-2022, 6:21pm
Thanks for bursting my bubble....:slap: Now how about some pics of what you did. Sounds like an amazing build..:seasix:

I’ll see if I can find some.