PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanne query

Frankie the Fink
09-25-2022, 6:06pm
I have a one year old 16' pontoon boat that will stay in the lift through the storm if it hits Orlando.... My old Searay did just fine there duing IRMA...
Pontoon boats do not have a bilge or drain plug and won't fill with water but I am wondering aboutt he wisdom of leaving the "playpen" cover on through the storm or just leaving the boat open. I'm afraid the snap on cover must just become airborne and lost.... The boat is as high in the boathouse as I can get it.

Any advice from you boater types is appreciated.
My pier surviving Irman in the video, the neighbot's pier ? Not so much.

https://youtu.be/w2zM1_iDcnY

Big bob
09-25-2022, 6:13pm
I would leave the kite off.

mrvette
09-25-2022, 6:14pm
Depends on witch way the wind blows.......

:issues:

Old Ben
09-25-2022, 6:15pm

:iagree:

JRD77VET
09-25-2022, 7:08pm

:iagree:

It's going to get wet , might as well save the canvas. :yesnod:

Learpilot
09-25-2022, 7:12pm
Cover Off !! Trust me

MadInNc
09-25-2022, 7:16pm
Bag the console and electronics etc. kite off

Sea Six
09-25-2022, 7:18pm
I leave the Bimini on because I crank the boat up all the way up to the ceiling. But if I had a playpen cover I would definitely take it down.

99 pewtercoupe
09-25-2022, 7:19pm

:seasix:

LATB
09-25-2022, 7:23pm
Wouldn’t it be wise to pull the boat out of the water?

I left my boat on the water during hurricane Opal and regretted it.
(In my defense I thought I had another day but the storm blew up and we had to run)

markids77
09-25-2022, 7:26pm
Remove the console and electronics etc. kite off

Fixt

JRD77VET
09-25-2022, 7:30pm
Wouldn’t it be wise to pull the boat out of the water?

I left my boat on the water during hurricane Opal and regretted it.
(In my defense I thought I had another day but the storm blew up and we had to run)

I have a 24' StarCraft pontoon and the floats are filled with foam.

Yadkin
09-25-2022, 7:55pm
Sell the boat and move far away from water.

LATB
09-25-2022, 8:19pm

There’s a lot of agreement here from me.

We did the “beaches, bars, boats, and ballads” thing for 30 years. As much as I loved the beach and boating and the whole lifestyle, I always had a desire to live in rural America ever since I was a kid.

So contrary to the typical norm, I’ve left the coast and will retire (kinda sorta) to the country.

I spoke with 3 friends this weekend who are consumed with securing their boats and homes on the coast. BTDT and have no desire to be a part of it anymore.

Louie Detroit
09-25-2022, 8:21pm
Good luck with the weather Frankie!

mrvette
09-25-2022, 8:22pm

I live some 30' from the water/flood plane.......

and 1/8 mile from the creek......:rofl:

LATB
09-25-2022, 8:28pm

I’m sitting at 200’ elevation up here in Mayberry. And my farm 30 miles to the NW is at 250’. I’m kinda loving this.

Louie Detroit
09-25-2022, 8:31pm

The big question is how many feet do you live above the water/floodplain Gene?

Yadkin
09-25-2022, 9:23pm

I live 4900 feet from the ocean. Vertical feet.

99 pewtercoupe
09-25-2022, 9:41pm

Well aren’t you some kind of special

Millenium Vette
09-25-2022, 10:35pm

I'd say don't even bother with covering the console, but remove the electronics if at all possible. :cert:

ZipZap
09-25-2022, 11:24pm

You flatlanders are funny.

Yadkin
09-26-2022, 3:54am

Well aren't you some kind of special

Frankie the Fink
09-26-2022, 5:35am
Yes, conventional wisdon is to trailer the boat to somewhere unaffected by the storm, that always sounds good but: a) I don't have a trailer and b) the cone of the storm covers most places where I would store th boat and those places are full. I'll remove the cover and the Lowrance equipment and secure everything else, bimini top stays on but strapped down. And, I'm 130' above the 100 year flood plane.

As to location, wife and I have just about had our fill of central Florida, the influx of people and congestion has us longing for the rural house we had in Virginia. The traffic and crime are increasing yearly; we'll see I guess.

Thannks.

mrvette
09-26-2022, 6:19am
The big question is how many feet do you live above the water/floodplain Gene?

I tiped it rong....it's ABOVE........:dance:

mrvette
09-26-2022, 6:21am

He must live on a flattoe.....:seasix:

GTOguy
09-26-2022, 10:38am
Well aren't you some kind of special

*.:dance:

Classic Yadkin here, folks, and about as good as it gets. Hopefully I'm not the only one who appreciates the edginess and wit that's in evidence here. :seasix:

dvarapala
09-26-2022, 11:00am
*.:dance:

Classic Yadkin here, folks, and about as good as it gets.

No argument here. :D

DJ_Critterus
09-26-2022, 11:07am
Well, Hillsborough County just ordered an evacuation of the coastal areas around Tampa.

https://www.foxnews.com/weather/hurricane-ian-forms-powerful-storm-prompting-evacuation-order-tampa

Meh, no need to panic until Waffle House decides to shut down.

Yadkin
09-26-2022, 11:23am
Now that's funny, a county in Floriduh named Hillsborough. Landfills for the state?

MadInNc
09-26-2022, 12:16pm
Well, Hillsborough County just ordered an evacuation of the coastal areas around Tampa.

https://www.foxnews.com/weather/hurricane-ian-forms-powerful-storm-prompting-evacuation-order-tampa

Meh, no need to panic until Waffle House decides to shut down.

My sister is in Tampa. They live on the bay. Schools closed. She and her girls thinking about coming up

Frankie the Fink
09-26-2022, 12:27pm
My sister is in Tampa. They live on the bay. Schools closed. She and her girls thinking about coming up
If they are even remotely thinking about it, they should leave AS SOON as possible, during IRMA the few routes out of the state where gridlocked to the point people were having "pickup" flag football games in the medians..

TurboTnZ06
09-26-2022, 12:44pm
A slow moving cat 4 to your west won't be fun. Stash a chainsaw and flash light and inflatable boat w/ life jackets in the attic. Cut your way out. Take lazy river inland. Watch out for sneks and gators.

DJ_Critterus
09-26-2022, 12:53pm

Isn't she under a mandatory evac order from the county? You'd think she'd be on the way, already.

Rodnok1
09-26-2022, 12:55pm
Have to know where you live, if it floods, house is old and will blow away, known issues with roads and power. Then know how prepared you are and base evac decision based on those factors.

DJ_Critterus
09-26-2022, 1:06pm
Have to know where you live, if it floods, house is old and will blow away, known issues with roads and power. Then know how prepared you are and base evac decision based on those factors.

Glad I'm on fairly high ground and my apartment complex is on the same grid as the Hospital not too far away.

dvarapala
09-26-2022, 1:23pm
Glad I'm on fairly high ground and my apartment complex is on the same grid as the Hospital not too far away.

Hospitals have their own backup generators for when the grid goes down. Do you? :D

DJ_Critterus
09-26-2022, 1:30pm
Hospitals have their own backup generators for when the grid goes down. Do you? :D

Not in the Apartment. If needed, I'll go over to the parents' place and mooch off of them for a couple of days. No biggie for them since they'll need the help with cleanup anyway.

Yadkin
09-26-2022, 1:44pm
A slow moving cat 4 to your west won't be fun. Stash a chainsaw and flash light and inflatable boat w/ life jackets in the attic. Cut your way out. Take lazy river inland. Watch out for sneks and gators.

Attic? In a Floriduh home?

GTOguy
09-26-2022, 1:56pm

That's right....I keep forgetting....You're that banned guy who hates Florida!

:)

Onebadcad
09-26-2022, 2:08pm
Now that's funny, a county in Floriduh named Hillsborough. Landfills for the state?

Your perrogartive to hate all thinigs FL, but not to be ignorant of FL.
Hillsborough is 27th most populous county in THE USA.
Also, home to the World Famous 'Mons Venus', if I have to explain,,,

LATB
09-26-2022, 2:22pm

Hillsboro was named for a British politician, Willis Hills, back in the 1700’s.

Education always trumps hate. :seasix:

You are welcome. :cert:

DJ_Critterus
09-26-2022, 2:23pm

I hope nothing happens to any business on Dale Mabry :willy:

LATB
09-26-2022, 2:23pm

:rolleyes:

GTOguy
09-26-2022, 2:47pm
Hillsboro was named for a British politician, Willis Hills, back in the 1700’s.

Education always trumps hate. :seasix:

You are welcome. :cert:

HO---LEE----SHIT.

Mic Drop

That's gonna leave a big-ass welt.

:seasix::seasix::seasix::seasix::dance:

Yadkin
09-26-2022, 9:10pm

And there are two landfills in Hillsborough County, both great places to go during a major flood event. :seasix:

GTOguy
09-27-2022, 10:22am
And there are two landfills in Hillsborough County, both great places to go during a major flood event. :seasix:

You're gonna have to do better than that.
All due respect and all....:)

LATB
09-27-2022, 12:59pm
HO---LEE----SHIT.

Mic Drop

That's gonna leave a big-ass welt.

:seasix::seasix::seasix::seasix::dance:

Wasn’t my intention. Yadkin is actually a bright and learned man with much good to share.

His delivery could use some work. Ask me how I know this myself. :Jeff '79:

His hate for Florida is tired and undermines his otherwise wise and valuable contribution.

GTOguy
09-27-2022, 1:05pm
Wasn’t my intention. Yadkin is actually a bright and learned man with much good to share.

His hate for Florida is tired and undermines his otherwise wise and valuable contribution.

GTO guy is actually a bright and learned man with much good to share.

His delivery could use some work.

His blind devotion to Yadkin is tired and undermines his otherwise wise and valuable contribution. :yesnod:

Onebadcad
09-27-2022, 1:23pm
GTO guy is actually a bright and learned man with much good to share.

His delivery could use some work.

His blind devotion to Yadkin is tired and undermines his otherwise wise and valuable contribution. :yesnod:

You have your moments, more frequent now than before :cert: !!

Yadkin
09-27-2022, 2:02pm

For the record, I don't hate Floriduh, just it's residents that clog the roads here during the summer. :D

Onebadcad
09-27-2022, 2:15pm
For the record, I don't hate Floriduh, just it's residents that clog the roads here during the summer. :D

Do some research, I bet very, very few of those FL-tagged drivers were born in FL, most are from somewhere else, and as their driving skills, or lack thereof, erode, FL is one of the few states that allow them to reside.

I am convinced all drivers from all states suck, I could prepare a simple written driving test of 20 questions that 90% would fail at 50% or less.

As I have stated before, none know the driving laws regarding:

1) right of way, who has it, the dangers when ceding it to the none right of way
2) how to make a left turn on green, without arrow
3) what is the law regarding a solid white line
4) the difference between the two lanes on each side of the road
5) what is the use of an acceleration lane when entering an interstate
6) minimum mph, what are perils when not maintaining such
7) improper lane changes

I have a lot of angst,,,

LATB
09-27-2022, 2:27pm

:seasix:

Yadkin
09-27-2022, 2:28pm
Do some research, I bet very, very few of those FL-tagged drivers were born in FL, most are from somewhere else, and as their driving skills, or lack thereof, erode, FL is one of the few states that allow them to reside.

I am convinced all drivers from all states suck, I could prepare a simple written driving test of 20 questions that 90% would fail at 50% or less.

As I have stated before, none know the driving laws regarding:

1) right of way, who has it, the dangers when ceding it to the none right of way
2) how to make a left turn on green, without arrow
3) what is the law regarding a solid white line
4) the difference between the two lanes on each side of the road
5) what is the use of an acceleration lane when entering an interstate
6) minimum mph, what are perils when not maintaining such
7) improper lane changes

I have a lot of angst,,,

8) travelling in the passing lane

It doesn't matter where they are from- they move to FL to be with like-minded people, just like those who move to TX, or MA for that matter.

The other day my daughter and SIL were with me, and I was driving on Route 105 which is two-lane signed for 55. Floridiot holding up traffic in front so I was dogging along at about 45.

Guy comes up behind me doing about 60 and tailgates me. I ax'd my passengers: "do you think this guy is from Floriduh?" He was in a BMW convertible with a medium sized poodle-like dog on his lap and looking over the windshield. We all laughed. Then he ripped a right turn into a side street- I don't know how the dog did not fall out. Rte. 105 has a stop-light, then turns right. Poodle man ripped through the connecting streets and ended up in front of us- with his Floriduh plates. :Jeff '79:

GTOguy
09-27-2022, 2:55pm

It doesn't matter where they are from- they move to FL to be with like-minded people, just like those who move to TX, or MA for that matter.

The other day my daughter and SIL were with me, and I was driving on Route 105 which is two-lane signed for 55. Floridiot holding up traffic in front so I was dogging along at about 45.

Guy comes up behind me doing about 60 and tailgates me. I ax'd my passengers: "do you think this guy is from Floriduh?" He was in a BMW convertible with a medium sized poodle-like dog on his lap and looking over the windshield. We all laughed. Then he ripped a right turn into a side street- I don't know how the dog did not fall out. Rte. 105 has a stop-light, then turns right. Poodle man ripped through the connecting streets and ended up in front of us- with his Floriduh plates. :Jeff '79:
Is this on video and what is the name of your youtube channel again?:waiting:

Onebadcad
09-27-2022, 3:28pm

Spend a few days in SE FL any month of the year, as there is no longer a tourist or snowbird season, it is year-round, and you will cut-off every 5 mintues.
Those cars will have out-of-state plates, mostly from the NE, none of them know how to make a left turn without the arrow.

I have driven long enough to know that 90+% of all drivers are terrible, they come from all states, FL has more idiot drivers than most due to its large population and due to its ever-growning appeal for everyone to move here, and again, the tag may say FL but they are not FROM HERE.

Yadkin
09-27-2022, 3:47pm
Spend a few days in SE FL any month of the year, as there is no longer a tourist or snowbird season, it is year-round, and you will cut-off every 5 mintues.
Those cars will have out-of-state plates, mostly from the NE, none of them know how to make a left turn without the arrow.

I have driven long enough to know that 90+% of all drivers are terrible, they come from all states, FL has more idiot drivers than most due to its large population and due to its ever-growning appeal for everyone to move here, and again, the tag may say FL but they are not FROM HERE.

Floridug tags are for Floriduh drivers. Again, it maters little where the dumb bastards moved from. :D

Yadkin
09-27-2022, 3:48pm
Is this on video and what is the name of your youtube channel again?:waiting:

Dash camera still broken. :needcoffee:

GTOguy
09-27-2022, 3:52pm
Dash camera still broken. :needcoffee:

:ulan:

Frankie the Fink
09-27-2022, 6:42pm

Been near Olrando since '98, the influx of bluse state refugees is a near population explosion and these dolts move here for the climate, easy life style and freedoms and they then promptly try to reinstitute the very things that the fled from, giveaway programs, "easy on crime"polices and liberal mindset.

Its a "slow motion" train wreck...

snide
09-28-2022, 6:16am
I’m sitting at 200’ elevation up here in Mayberry. And my farm 30 miles to the NW is at 250’. I’m kinda loving this.

Have you gotten any nose bleeds at the farm yet? :bigears:

Yadkin
09-28-2022, 9:30am
Been near Olrando since '98, the influx of bluse state refugees is a near population explosion and these dolts move here for the climate, easy life style and freedoms and they then promptly try to reinstitute the very things that the fled from, giveaway programs, "easy on crime"polices and liberal mindset.

Its a "slow motion" train wreck...

It's a 24 hour drive from the NE to Floriduh, but it takes at least 24 years for them to change their mindset, but only if those minds can be changed.