PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers and lowering question

Munch
12-02-2009, 11:02pm
Wondering how thick a wheel spacer you could put on before you needed to get longer studs. I plead ignorance on any factors such as wheel thickness.

Also, when you are lowering the car do you need to take in to account the inside arc of the wheel well?

Sneaks
12-03-2009, 7:39am
Normally, you want at least 1-1 1/4" of stud coming through the wheel. There are exceptions, but it's a good rule of thumb. Not the inch measurements you been giving the wife, you want real world increments. :lolsmile:
If you're running stock wheel sizes, you can lower all the way on stock bolts with no issues of rubbing. Running wider wheels? Can't help ya there, but someone else will chime in.
:thumbs:

Willfulone
12-03-2009, 2:02pm
1/4 inch...then you can upgrade to some APR studs or similar...

Corvette Wheel Spacers (http://www.customcorvetteaccessories.com/pfadtwheelspacers.html)

Peace
Chip

Munch
12-03-2009, 4:46pm
Normally, you want at least 1-1 1/4" of stud coming through the wheel. There are exceptions, but it's a good rule of thumb. Not the inch measurements you been giving the wife, you want real world increments. :lolsmile:

Thanks, I will have to check how much thread I have now. I am running 19 x 11 on the back with 295/35/19 rubber and last time I pulled the wheels I had a very thin strip of plastic stuck to the wheel from it rubbing. I'd like to lower the car just a tad but as it sits now it's not gonna happen. Glad you cleared that up about the "real world measurements" at first I was thinking I'd need like 6 inches of thread! :lolsmile:

1/4 inch...then you can upgrade to some APR studs or similar...

Corvette Wheel Spacers (http://www.customcorvetteaccessories.com/pfadtwheelspacers.html)

Peace
Chip

Thanks Chip, those are the ones that got me thinking about this. I may be placing an order after the holiday. :takdir:

Y2Kvert4me
12-03-2009, 4:54pm
With an 11" wheel, I'm not sure spacing them out much would help you, unless they are not optimally offset to begin with.

5/16" is about the max before needing longer studs.

And Chip, the hardware company that makes longer studs is ARP, not APR. (unless APR is some sort of copycat company).

:cheers:

Munch
12-03-2009, 5:34pm
With an 11" wheel, I'm not sure spacing them out much would help you, unless they are not optimally offset to begin with.

5/16" is about the max before needing longer studs.

I just want to get the tire off the wheel well so an 1/8 would do it but I was thinking a 1/4 just from looking at the wheel in relation to the fender. With a 1/4 I am thinking I could even lower it a bit and still be OK. But like I said, my main concern is getting the tire to not rub.

Eagleeye
12-03-2009, 8:50pm
On dragstrip cars the tech guides required 3 1/2 full turns on lug nut was minimal with 5 turns optimal at 100 ft. lbs. torque if that makes sense ...

Munch
12-23-2009, 2:14pm
So if you use a wheel spacer such as a 1/4" what about the hub centric nature of the wheel???

Munch
02-02-2010, 7:32pm
I just ordered some 1/4" spacers from Chip, should be here soon! Keep your fingers crossed!

Garb55
02-02-2010, 7:50pm
I just ordered some 1/4" spacers from Chip, should be here soon! Keep your fingers crossed!

What is the Objective your trying to Achieve with the Spacers, Lower the car and have the wheel stick out farther but not rub?

My BAD, I need another Beer!

I just want to get the tire off the wheel well so an 1/8 would do it but I was thinking a 1/4 just from looking at the wheel in relation to the fender. With a 1/4 I am thinking I could even lower it a bit and still be OK. But like I said, my main concern is getting the tire to not rub.