PDA

View Full Version : So I'm Sitting on the Grid...

ZipZap
04-10-2011, 10:02pm
...yesterday at Summit Point waiting to go out for the Saturday NASA race. Marshall comes by with a sign that says "Delay for incident in Turn 1". I saw the tow truck and ambulance go out. On the track before us is High Performance Driving Event One (HPDE-1), which is the absolute first-time beginners track group that includes mandatory instructors riding along in the cars. After a bit more time sitting, here comes the rollback with a near new ZR-1 with the front clip pretty much destroyed:eek::sadangel:

1) ZR-1 is probably not the right choice for your first track experience
2) Instructor is probably feeling pretty crappy right now
3) Track insurance is probably a good thing for non-race cars

I won't even take my lowly 2005 C6 on the track for fear of damage. I can't imagine running a ZR-1 into the tire wall.

MEANZ06
04-10-2011, 10:07pm
:beer:...
I won't even take my lowly 2005 C6 on the track for fear of damage. I can't imagine running a ZR-1 into the tire wall.

puss...:beer:

ZipZap
04-10-2011, 10:07pm
:beer:

puss...

I roll my gay miata. You got a problem with that?:D

LATB
04-10-2011, 10:08pm
It's a Chevy...don't lose too much sleep over it. :D

:dance:

C5Nate
04-10-2011, 10:40pm
I roll my gay .......

OK, if thats how you roll.

Nemesis
04-10-2011, 11:30pm
Those delays are a great time to calm your nerves...or build them up.

Fastguy
04-10-2011, 11:49pm
which course?

Bucwheat
04-11-2011, 9:55am
Miata?

VatorMan
04-11-2011, 10:55am
That was one of our group. I was home sick with a cold or i would have been there. Eric Wong is one of ours as well, he blew a head gasket.

Believe it or not, USAA is gonna pay to fix that mofo.

ZipZap
04-11-2011, 11:21am
which course?

We were on the Main course. It was a NASA weekend.

Miata?

As stated above, that's how I roll:D

That was one of our group. I was home sick with a cold or i would have been there. Eric Wong is one of ours as well, he blew a head gasket.

How much experience did the driver have? Man, I crash my race cars, but to do that to a new ride would make me sick. I can't believe USAA would insure track time. When did they start doing that?

I was pitted next to Eric and the boys. He had two near-identical M3's out there, so he was able to run GTS-2. Won both days I think.

snide
04-11-2011, 11:47am

Thought about calling when I drove past your house yesterday...

ptindall
04-11-2011, 12:59pm
I was standing on the walkway over the track at Firebird Main when a high dollar, highly modified C5 in the first time driver class group spun below me and backed into and up on the gaurd rail. It slid backward with the left side of the car on the gaurd rail until the gaurd rail transitioned to concrete Jersey barrier where the driver cut the wheel and dropped the car back down onto the track. Had to be 3.5 feet. This lowered, coilovered vette made an aweful crunch slamming back down. Damage was massive.

Another person who spent big bucks on big power, big brakes, and big tires just to make more car than they can handle before deciding to learn how to drive it.

VatorMan
04-11-2011, 1:19pm
We were on the Main course. It was a NASA weekend.

As stated above, that's how I roll:D

How much experience did the driver have? Man, I crash my race cars, but to do that to a new ride would make me sick. I can't believe USAA would insure track time. When did they start doing that?

I was pitted next to Eric and the boys. He had two near-identical M3's out there, so he was able to run GTS-2. Won both days I think.

Rick(ZR1 owner) is pretty new at the whole race thing and it showed. Apparently took a late point by and tried to make turn 1. He's pretty banged up-sore ribs etc..... Frikken Eric is down at VIR. That SOB must sell drugs to race as much as he does. :lol: Eric is where I get all my brake & suspension stuff.

As far as insurance here's his e-mail.

ALL,

Well, got off the telly with USAA - finalized my claim for Saturday - they will send a claims adjsuter to Jay's to inspect the car and provide an estimate for repairs - assume that will happen today - a check will then be issued DIRECT to Jay minus my $300 deductible - don't want to be the middle-man

Factually told my story of being at a driving school with an instructor and lost control of the vehicle in a turn where someone else had went off track and left mud on the turn - attempted to recover but hit a stationary object - i.e., tire-protected concrete wall - entire statement was recorded - no judgement on the part of the claims representative who has been assigned my claim

Still pretty stiff and sore from the experience, but am at work

Fastguy
04-11-2011, 6:08pm
We were at Summit Point running Shenandoah when my balancer sheared off the hub of my C5. I ended up borrowing a well sorted NA Miata for the rest of the weekend. We saw this guy pull in with a brand new Shelby GT750 KR on sticker Hoosiers. He had never been on track before and we all said, "that car isn't going home in one piece".
He tried following me in a light rain in the Miata and all I could think was, "dude, don't try following this car, I am not lifting". He spun and planted it straight into a concrete barrier, trashing the nose.
I am all for tracking your car and not saving it for the next guy but with the HP levels of some of these cars, its easy to get in over your head fast.

ZipZap
04-11-2011, 6:51pm
We were at Summit Point running Shenandoah when my balancer sheared off the hub of my C5. I ended up borrowing a well sorted NA Miata for the rest of the weekend. We saw this guy pull in with a brand new Shelby GT750 KR on sticker Hoosiers. He had never been on track before and we all said, "that car isn't going home in one piece".
He tried following me in a light rain in the Miata and all I could think was, "dude, don't try following this car, I am not lifting". He spun and planted it straight into a concrete barrier, trashing the nose.
I am all for tracking your car and not saving it for the next guy but with the HP levels of some of these cars, its easy to get in over your head fast.

Shenandoah is crazy for high powered cars. It beats the crap out of me even in the Miata if I'm trying to do it at race speed. I have caught air on both ends of the karrousel and lifted tires before the corkscrew. I saw a Viper go airborne on the crest just past the bridge.

Fastguy
04-11-2011, 9:51pm
I have a pic somewhere of my buddy's 03 Cobra with all 4 wheels off the ground at the top of the hill. In the C5, I can feel it come off the ground and I have had all 4 off the ground going into the karuosel at speed. You come out of it like a Jai Lai ball. I went into it WOT in the Miata and didn't lift coming out, that is where the Mustang spun.
These are two of my friends, first car is an 03 SC Cobra, second car is a 97 SC Cobra.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/saltysearay/summit%20point%2007/th_MVI_5049.jpg (http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/saltysearay/summit%20point%2007/?action=view&current=MVI_5049.mp4)

VatorMan
04-12-2011, 5:29am
Summit is a great little track. Only an hour away from me too ! But yea, our little group has had some bad luck there lately. One of our other Vette (2010 Callaway) lost it in the main circuit carousel-his DBA brake rotor broke DBA is paying for the repairs) and did about 15K damage.

So far 2 race days, 180K worth of Corvettes out of action. :lol:

Sneaks
04-12-2011, 8:17am
It's a Chevy...don't lose too much sleep over it. :D

:dance:

Come here and receive your bich slap for that. :slap: