PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Florida School Shooting

Bill
02-14-2018, 3:50pm
On Fox now. Parkland, FL high school

:sadangel:

Rob
02-14-2018, 3:53pm
Some parent on live TV just said the shooters name and the reporter tried to make noise when she said it and eventually cut her off.

Suspect in custody

Shrike6
02-14-2018, 3:58pm
Here we go again....

04 commemorative
02-14-2018, 4:03pm
Unreal

GentleBen
02-14-2018, 4:05pm
While I wish no one ill, hopefully the shooter used an AK-47. I want to see some liberal gun-hating lawyer try to sue Kalashnikov and the Russian Government.

DAB
02-14-2018, 4:07pm
good thing schools, by federal law, are gun free zones.....until someone shows up with a gun. :slap:

Will
02-14-2018, 4:16pm
Couple of videos allegedly taken by students at the school:

https://twitter.com/dcsportsfanohye/status/963882981315276807

l9MDHmZHcVQ

DAB
02-14-2018, 4:42pm
just watching Sen. Nelson of Florida on foxnews, and he's rambling on about "high caliber weapons".

what the hell is a "high caliber weapon"?

i have no idea.

69camfrk
02-14-2018, 4:52pm
Gun free zones = criminal free zones. You would think our dumbass elected officials would have figured that out decades ago. But...nope...

Bill
02-14-2018, 4:54pm
just watching Sen. Nelson of Florida on foxnews, and he's rambling on about "high caliber weapons".

what the hell is a "high caliber weapon"?

i have no idea.

I'm thinking the shooter used .50 cal anti-aircraft guns. Nothing else makes sense.

https://www.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/196217268_8725990001_AMC-MovieMinutes-RamboFirstBloodPt2-11.jpg

DAB
02-14-2018, 4:55pm
Gun free zones = criminal free zones. You would think our dumbass elected officials would have figured that out decades ago. But...nope...

once again, a mass shooting happens in a "gun free zone". :slap:

"but the law says 'no guns allowed'!"

really, do you expect killers to obey the law? :slap::slap:

DAB
02-14-2018, 4:56pm
I'm thinking the shooter used .50 cal anti-aircraft guns. Nothing else makes sense.

i'm thinking Sen. Nelson is dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to firearms.

mrvette
02-14-2018, 5:14pm
i'm thinking Sen. Nelson is dumber than a box of rocks when it comes to firearms.

I not think much of him on ANY topic.......

:issues:

Jeff '79
02-14-2018, 5:19pm
:sadangel: for the familys who will be ever affected by this.
Bad, bad, bad. :wtf:

FasterTraffic
02-14-2018, 5:20pm
Bad for our freedom which is continually eroded thanks to people who misuse it and other folks who are only too happy to take it away.

VITE1
02-14-2018, 5:24pm
:sadangel:

Jeff '79
02-14-2018, 5:26pm
Bad for our freedom which is continually eroded thanks to people who misuse it and other folks who are only too happy to take it away.

Bad on all levels.

Will
02-14-2018, 6:25pm
Its always swell that we can't even take a single day to mourn victims of senseless violence before being forced instead to defend the bill of rights and the second amendment against authoritarian scum who race to use the victim's still warm bodies as political props.

God I wish these vermin could STFU for one damn day.

VatorMan
02-14-2018, 6:34pm
My heart breaks for the victims and their families. Once again,mental health issues raises its ugly head.

May the asswipe that did this and his family die a thousand deaths.

DAB
02-14-2018, 6:45pm
My heart breaks for the victims and their families. Once again,mental health issues raises its ugly head.

May the asswipe that did this and his family die a thousand deaths.

:skep:

some people are just evil.

VatorMan
02-14-2018, 6:47pm
:skep:

some people are just evil.

So, evil people don’t have mental issues ? Really ?

DAB
02-14-2018, 6:50pm
So, evil people don’t have mental issues ? Really ?

you make it sound like a curable medical problem, not a problem of the heart full of hate.

as though there was some way to test and screen for such a condition.

VatorMan
02-14-2018, 7:09pm
you make it sound like a curable medical problem, not a problem of the heart full of hate.

as though there was some way to test and screen for such a condition.

I never said curable. Unless you call a lobotomy or euthanization a cure.

Bill
02-14-2018, 7:11pm
I never said curable. Unless you call a lobotomy or euthanization a cure.

Euthanasia cures anything. It's also great for reducing recidivism.

DAB
02-14-2018, 7:12pm
when i hear someone say "mental health", i take it as a medical condition. and they often will advocate some type of screening to weed people out as needing treatment.

i can see it now:

"oh, you want to own a gun? cool. just pass this mental health screening and you'll be on your way.

Q1 - do you like guns?
Q2 - have you ever shot a gun?
Q3 - do you plan to shoot this and get better with it?

if Yes to any, then you have a mental health problem, and cannot buy a gun.

have a nice day sir."

VatorMan
02-14-2018, 7:15pm
when i hear someone say "mental health", i take it as a medical condition. and they often will advocate some type of screening to weed people out as needing treatment.

i can see it now:

"oh, you want to own a gun? cool. just pass this mental health screening and you'll be on your way.

Q1 - do you like guns?
Q2 - have you ever shot a gun?
Q3 - do you plan to shoot this and get better with it?

if Yes to any, then you have a mental health problem, and cannot buy a gun.

have a nice day sir."

This attitude here is the reason we will lose gun rights. Unless you are able to see that certain people shouldn’t have access to a firearm because they are mentally unstable, eventually laws will pass that will affect everyone.

DAB
02-14-2018, 7:17pm
This attitude here is the reason we will lose gun rights. Unless you are able to see that certain people shouldn’t have access to a firearm because they are mentally unstable, eventually laws will pass that will affect everyone.

and how do you determine that they are "mentally unstable"?

Dan Dlabay
02-14-2018, 7:21pm
Criminals and those hell bent on killing will get guns and no amount of gun control will stop them or people willing to sell guns to them.

Bill
02-14-2018, 7:29pm

You both have good points. Still, the slippery slope argument definitely applies here.

VITE1
02-14-2018, 7:49pm

Anyone who has been found to be mentally ill and likely to become a violent offender should have their day in court and then lose their right to a firearm.

Due process is important.

DAB
02-14-2018, 7:50pm
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/4473-part-1-firearms-transaction-record-over-counter-atf-form-53009/download

see 11.f:

f. Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution? (See Instructions for Question 11.f.)

Black94lt1
02-14-2018, 8:47pm
Prayers for the families, friends, coworkers, of all those killed and injured :sadangel:

StaticCling
02-14-2018, 9:20pm
Criminals and those hell bent on killing will get guns and no amount of gun control will stop them or people willing to sell guns to them.

Or any means available. Whether it be a pressure cooker, fertilizer, a vehicle etc.

Aerovette
02-14-2018, 9:23pm
I have a different take on all of this, but every time I hear myself say it all, I realize I'll just be told I'm old and talking out my ass...or a picture of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino will get posted. :yesnod:

StaticCling
02-14-2018, 10:08pm
I have a different take on all of this, but every time I hear myself say it all, I realize I'll just be told I'm old and talking out my ass...or a picture of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino will get posted. :yesnod:

Let's hear it, I'm interested in your opinion.

Here is my take. More or less.

While tragic and disgusting, events like these have been occurring since the beginning of human existence. You can't erase hundreds of thousands of years of inherent animalistic behavior. Face it, humans are violent and we kill things. And we kill each other.

Some of us can live peacefully in a society with laws, others obviously aren't wired that way, or something goes wrong in their wiring, and they snap. And they kill.

The only thing you can do is make an attempt at being prepared, or at least some measure of situational awareness, but you can't legislate morality. Laws we create only go so far, and then the Law of Nature takes over.

As far as Human Beings evolving into a more peaceful creature, it's not happening in our lifetime. Get used to it.

:island14:

DAB
02-14-2018, 10:40pm
Laws do not prevent crimes. They only punish the guilty after the fact.

Only you are responsible for your safety.

Aerovette
02-14-2018, 10:51pm
Bullying happens. I was bullied, and regretfully, I bullied. It is a part of growing up. It is a part of the natural selection process. It is finding out if you are the alpha, the beta, or a bottom feeder. How you deal with that is based on the character and the values and the disciplines you get at home. Parents that rely on the school system to assist them in parenting are dead ass wrong. You instill the values at home, they exercise them at school. Even worse is the fact that parents shove their parenting off on the schools but don't allow any form of discipline to be performed at school. Kids are cunning. It takes them about 30 seconds to figure out who they can manipulate and who is the wall that they cannot move. Less time to realize and weigh the repercussions of their actions. As soon as they know there aren't any, you have opened the lion's cage.

Do your free thinking BS at home. You are in school for a purpose...a SINGLE purpose. Reward good behavior, punish bad behavior. It's not a club, it's not a bar, it's not a social event. You are there to learn. You want to play sports? Stay out of trouble. Follow the rules or the TEAM pays. This will make the team members hold each other accountable.

Start phasing in our exiting military as teachers. The military provides a strong sense of discipline and that discipline can be applied in school. Offer compensation for obtaining teaching credentials to our military. Consider their teaching time as an extension of their service. They are possibly already in the same pay scale as teachers, being in the military.

Teach in uniform with a side arm.

Bring back corporal punishment. It's not about the paddling. It is about the fear of the paddling.

Have winners, ribbons, trophies. No participation bullshit. You either WIN, or you didn't.

Get rid of ALL down time, common areas, social bullshit. Busy from when you arrive until you go home, will eliminate time to act stupid.

Stop tying teacher's hands yet expecting them to maintain control of their class.

Fine the parents for the kid's bad behavior.

Have kids wear uniforms. This eliminates the rich/poor segregation, the beating up of kids for expensive shoes,

Roll back to the way school was in the 40s and 50s.

Make the principal of the school like the captain of a ship. When you are in school, the principal IS THE LAW.

You've probably picked up on the fact that the core of all of this is discipline. We have all but abandoned it any more. It is critical. The major problem is the science that says you are the person you will be, by 5 years old. That creates a situation where the schools get kids too late in the game. Nothing can be done about that, but what can be done is to create an environment that loudly says "I don't care what you do or did at home, this is how it is done HERE at school".

Disciplinary problem kids all get sent to full on military school run by the government. They will pray to go back to public school and behave after a few weeks of scaled down basic training.

DAB
02-14-2018, 10:59pm
Told Mrs. DAB: bet he doesn’t have a mom and dad at home.

SnikPlosskin
02-14-2018, 11:01pm
As much as I suspect false flags, this one seems like a legit nut case. The biggest clue is that he didn’t off himself.

Very sad. :sadangel: