PDA

View Full Version : No Fat Floaties! - Navy grants amnesty to 48,000 sailors

DAB
12-22-2017, 3:17pm
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/12/21/navy-grants-fitness-amnesty-to-48000-sailors-who-failed-test/

i just wanted to say "fat floaties"

when your job requires you to stay in shape, you better stay in shape! :msgem:

snide
12-22-2017, 3:50pm
when your job requires you to stay in shape, you better stay in shape! :msgem:

Round is a shape...

Datawiz
12-22-2017, 5:11pm
Round is a shape...

You and I know it well. :leaving:

DAB
12-22-2017, 5:26pm
you would think, of all the military branches, that the Navy would find some strategic value to having sailors that won't sink if they get tossed in the water. further, the fat has some insulating value, which would be useful in colder waters.

but no...... they want them all thin and skinny, no fat reserves, and then they have to remember their life jackets so they don't sink.

and that is why i'm not in charge of anything related to the Navy.

:DAB:

Aerovette
12-22-2017, 5:42pm
Boats and planes are weight sensitive...the ground, not so much.

MrPeabody
12-22-2017, 5:48pm
Boats and planes are weight sensitive...the ground, not so much.

Boats are also space sensitive. I saw a documentary about life on board an aircraft carrier. They interviewed a female sailor and she said "My life on board ship is not really much different than yours on shore. I work regular hours, I go do my job every day, eat meals at regular times, and I live in a 20X20 room with 39 roommates.":D

DAB
12-22-2017, 5:54pm
20x20 = 400 SF. 40 sailors, that's 10 SF each. or a space 18" x 6'-8". :faint:

don't fart, don't snore, and don't take space that isn't yours.

no wonder the AF is popular. :D

MrPeabody
12-22-2017, 6:19pm
20x20 = 400 SF. 40 sailors, that's 10 SF each. or a space 18" x 6'-8". :faint:

don't fart, don't snore, and don't take space that isn't yours.

no wonder the AF is popular. :D

I took a tour of a carrier once during fleet week in San Francisco. I think the bunks were stacked four or five high. Absolutely claustrophobic. Barely room to turn over. Most jails would look roomy in comparison.

mrvette
12-22-2017, 8:36pm
Boy scout trip, Norfolk, USS Oklahoma City, fast attack sub......

down the hatch about 3 stories to a lunch room, Occifer showing a chart of the sub, mostly blacked out, and to my right was this rocket fox chick, I mean like HOLY SMOKING HOT!!!!!! I asked her if she worked on that boat, she said she worked on the towed sonar array....

I said, isn't it a bit ....'close'.....she grinned and said I am stationed on the boat next door......a sub tender.....here I was going to ask for volunteer duty.....oh well......

:lol: but yes, it was 'close' in that sub.....and the neatest electronic toys I ever seen.....display screens like our new computers/TV's today.....

back in the early 90's......

lucky bastards, got to play with the BEST toys....

:issues:

Kerrmudgeon
12-22-2017, 10:40pm
I'm guessing McCale wouldn't pass the tests......:rofl:

http://s1.dmcdn.net/UrmvO/1280x720-Cu4.jpg

09CTSV
12-23-2017, 7:59am
The average sailor on board a destroyer or cruiser has less space than a person in a maximum security prison.
One thing which always pissed me off about the Fitness Tests and Body Fat composition was how they were enforced. If you were in the click, the tap got a little tighter and your body mass went down. If you weren't well liked, the tap got a little loose.
I was always near the top of the BM index but yet ran either a high 8 or just over a 9 minute mile and a half, I had 13 minutes 45 seconds to run it in. My pushups and sit ups were always maxed out. I'd always watch what I ate and still was borderline every weigh in. At one point I was swimming in the AM running in the afternoon, playing softball and still usually two percent below the max for weigh in. I was amazed at the "Skinny" sailors failing the physical test, couldn't do push ups, sit ups or fail the run/swim.
When the heavy lifting was needed, they didn't use the little guys it was always the top of the scale sailors.
Back in the day the food they used to serve was horrible. Lots of times it was a eat and run. You'd have ten minutes to grab a bite before watch or a drill/training. High fat content, no nutritional guidance, not a lot of fresh fruits but a lot of processed food. Try that for six months with minimum space to work out or a schedule of 5 hours on watch, 8-10 hours of repairs/training, a cat nap and another 5 hours of watch a day.
My last ship had two treadmills for the ship, don't even try to run on the weather decks.
There is some serious flaws in the way the Navy does their physical testing. I remember being on a deployment and losing 30 pounds over the 6 months due to not eating, pick sleep or eat and sleep usually won out passing out at my desk in the log room. Average sleep was about 4 hours on a good day underway.

MikeB
12-23-2017, 9:42am
The average sailor on board a destroyer or cruiser has less space than a person in a maximum security prison.
One thing which always pissed me off about the Fitness Tests and Body Fat composition was how they were enforced. If you were in the click, the tap got a little tighter and your body mass went down. If you weren't well liked, the tap got a little loose.
I was always near the top of the BM index but yet ran either a high 8 or just over a 9 minute mile and a half, I had 13 minutes 45 seconds to run it in. My pushups and sit ups were always maxed out. I'd always watch what I ate and still was borderline every weigh in. At one point I was swimming in the AM running in the afternoon, playing softball and still usually two percent below the max for weigh in. I was amazed at the "Skinny" sailors failing the physical test, couldn't do push ups, sit ups or fail the run/swim.
When the heavy lifting was needed, they didn't use the little guys it was always the top of the scale sailors.
Back in the day the food they used to serve was horrible. Lots of times it was a eat and run. You'd have ten minutes to grab a bite before watch or a drill/training. High fat content, no nutritional guidance, not a lot of fresh fruits but a lot of processed food. Try that for six months with minimum space to work out or a schedule of 5 hours on watch, 8-10 hours of repairs/training, a cat nap and another 5 hours of watch a day.
My last ship had two treadmills for the ship, don't even try to run on the weather decks.
There is some serious flaws in the way the Navy does their physical testing. I remember being on a deployment and losing 30 pounds over the 6 months due to not eating, pick sleep or eat and sleep usually won out passing out at my desk in the log room. Average sleep was about 4 hours on a good day underway.

Were you drafted, or did you volunteer for that?

DAB
12-23-2017, 11:49am
after my little heart incident a few years ago, i lost a pile of weight, went from 305 to 220 at my lowest. even at that, at 6-5, my BMI was 26.09, over the cutoff for overweight at 25. ridiculous standard.

09CTSV
12-23-2017, 11:49am
Were you drafted, or did you volunteer for that?

Volunteer. That was the typical underway day for a sailor in the 80's and 90's. When we commissioned my first ship, we didn't see our home port for 98 days. When we did pull into home port it was for 2 weeks and then back to the shipyard for a warranty repair period. Left there went back to Norfolk three weeks later. Sat in port for one month and deployed for almost 7 months. That was the operation tempo for the entire time I was on that ship.
I could go on for all the commands I was at and the hours put in to correct issues or keep things going but it is all in the past.