PDA

View Full Version : So I decided to upgrade my home WiFi/Internet

Cybercowboy
12-14-2017, 2:00pm
Easy peasy, right? Get a nice new cable modem that supports my cable company up to 1 Gbps, and get a new WiFi router with all the bells and whistles. My old equipment worked OK but the WiFi signal was just so-so in the kitchen and our bedroom, two places we like to stream TV occasionally, like MLB-TV Cubs games and Amazon Prime video.

Anywho, had to call CableOne because I only got two tries at activating my new cable modem (a Netgear CM700) and didn't know for sure which phone number was on the account. Turned out the first two I tried were wrong. Only had one more to check, but no I had to call. Got a really good tech and he got it up and running but then was saying "Uh oh, we have a problem. Seems that there are some channels not working on your end. Actually, it seems to be your entire area. Mind if I schedule a service call for tomorrow so they can check what needs to be done?" Sure, whatever. He said my modem is the only one of its type on this network and it's a lot newer than the others.

However, I just ran a speed test and am only getting 30 Mbps. Was getting 100 Mbps just prior to doing all this. Oh, and I also upgraded to 150 Mbps today just prior to running the speed test. No wonder he wanted to get the service guy out here. My new modem is going to force them to properly configure this branch of their network. He was pretty obscure about what all is going on and said "You probably wouldn't even notice..." No, I noticed. :lol:

BTW my new Netgear Nighthawk X4S AC2600 wireless router really boosted my WiFi strength in those problem areas after I tweaked the antennas just so. Like night-and-day difference.

Mike Mercury
12-14-2017, 2:40pm
https://img.memecdn.com/when-i-have-a-slow-internet-connection_o_1117353.jpg

Cybercowboy
12-15-2017, 3:20pm
Well, I'm getting 176 Mbps download speed to my router, and now this is the first time I've had faster than 100 Mbps going out on my wired network (the part that is wired, which isn't much) and...even though I have gigabit connections from router to computer, all it does is 100 Mbps max, which is fine. The wiring I did myself in 2001 and it's probably not able to do gigabit although I did use Cat-6. I actually speed test faster on my iPhone 5s (right at about 96 Mbps) than I do from my main hardwired computer. But I get rockin' WiFi strength and can now easily stream from multiple devices simultaneously which was my ultimate goal in preparation for pulling the cord in the near future and ditching satellite.