PDA

View Full Version : Which two colors are decoded, and how....

mrvette
12-12-2017, 8:54am
and which color is derived, and how......

:rofl:

DAB
12-12-2017, 8:59am
Gene’s “how TVs work quiz” continues all this week....

04 commemorative
12-12-2017, 9:38am
ummmmmm......blue....:island14:

Ol Timer
12-12-2017, 10:59am
42. The answer is always 42.

OddBall
12-12-2017, 11:12am
Green is a mix of yellow and blue.

It's dark magic.

DAB
12-12-2017, 11:45am
instead of showing that we know nothing about how a TV works, you could just tell us in one post.

"the cats are reduced to molecules, beamed off satellites, reassembled in the CRT, and then enjoyed by all"

Sea Six
12-12-2017, 12:31pm
If you pee in the blue Tidy Bowl water, it makes it green.

:yesnod:

Sea Six
12-12-2017, 12:33pm
http://babruisk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/31/skak.gif

mrvette
12-12-2017, 12:42pm
http://babruisk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/31/skak.gif

That's what happened when Irma went through.....and this past weekend when some idiot took out a pole.....power back on in like 8 hours , but comcast was not affected in this house....others?? dunno.....

still have the plastic/glass from his car all over the damn road......

:issues:

WalkerInTN
12-12-2017, 1:24pm
Gene’s “how TVs work quiz” continues all this week....

Must suck to be an old TV repairman & live in an era of disposable TV's. :rofl:

Norm
12-12-2017, 1:26pm
Are you fooling around with some old land line phone wires, you know, the colorful kind?

DAB
12-12-2017, 1:28pm
Must suck to be an old TV repairman & live in an era of disposable TV's. :rofl:

Gene: i can fix that. just need some vacuum tubes and about 2 hours, that'll run you about $250.

customer: i'll just buy a new one for $300, it'll be bigger too.

Sea Six
12-12-2017, 1:48pm
That's what happened when Irma went through.....and this past weekend when some idiot took out a pole.....power back on in like 8 hours , but comcast was not affected in this house....others?? dunno.....

still have the plastic/glass from his car all over the damn road......

:issues:

Pretty sure that's when this was filmed.

During Irma.

:yesnod:

It was in between feeder bands when everyone got a chance to outside and look around.

8Up
12-12-2017, 1:57pm
back when I used to have to fix CRT monitors there were three colors that went into the flyback, red blue and green. When I quit that company I took my tweaker with me, it was about 10" long and red. Used it to adjust the balance and position pots. that was like 25 years ago.

mrvette
12-12-2017, 2:50pm
back when I used to have to fix CRT monitors there were three colors that went into theCRT, red blue and green. When I quit that company I took my tweaker with me, it was about 10" long and red. Used it to adjust the balance and position pots. that was like 25 years ago.

CRT, not flyback......any other of you guys know what a flyback WAS?? and why it was called that???

also, what is a 'damper diode'?????

DAB
12-12-2017, 2:57pm
:rolleyes:

Kevin_73
12-12-2017, 4:30pm
Red was always the crappiest looking color on CRT TV's, so I would guess it is the one that is derived.
Based on that I would guess that Blue and Yellow are two that were decoded.

Black94lt1
12-12-2017, 5:19pm
it was about 10" long and red.

You might want to have it looked at if it is red :D :lol:

ZipZap
12-12-2017, 6:37pm
CRT, not flyback......any other of you guys know what a flyback WAS?? and why it was called that???

Flyback is a transformer that used to be in tv's to control sweep. Flybacks are still used to make some switching power supplies more efficient.:seasix:

mrvette
12-12-2017, 7:07pm
Flyback is a transformer that used to be in tv's to control sweep. Flybacks are still used to make some switching power supplies more efficient.:seasix:

NOPE, sweep control is via the deflection yoke around the neck of the CRT/pix tube and timed by the horizontal oscillator that is phase/freq controlled by incoming signal.....the flyback is basically ancillary in that it's coupled to same circuit, and upon collapse of deflection signal, the winding generates super high voltage which is then rectified and applied to the CRT.....

DC is about 30 kv or so....it will set you back on your ass.....but should not do harm in that there is no serious current behind it.....don't ask....:dance:

OddBall
12-12-2017, 7:24pm

A diode that has a higher moisture content than regular diodes.

markids77
12-12-2017, 10:09pm
The damper diode prevents the flyback spike from killing the entire unit. Diodes (DUH!) only allow voltage to pass in one direction.

Milton Fox
12-12-2017, 11:35pm
1960s RCA Color TV Commercial - YouTube

mrvette
12-13-2017, 6:46am
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtnsHJCex3s"]1960s RCA Color TV Commercial]

I would hope that the terrible colors on the above commercial are due to film deterioration :rofl:

The two prime colors that are demodulated in the set are Red and Blue, Green is a derived color from combining the R&B signals.....

the B&W horizontal scan rate was 15750 hz.....color was 15734 hz.....reason for slight drop was to allow more room in the horizontal blanking region for a few cycles of burst to occur, that is the control signal that tells the set oscillator running a 3.579545 to stay in phase with the transmitted signal, thereby making the colors appear true/honest on the screen, as set by the tint control on the front of the sets....

The term blacker than black applies to the horizontal/vertical synch signals so the TV is in line with the transmitter......if properly adjusted brightness and contrast on any old TV, you can witness the vertical synch pulse as that large heavy black band across say the top of the screen when the vert hold control is played with....IF the set was old enough you had a horizontal hold control, and it could demo the horizontal synch pulse.....both of those pulses had a 'blanking threshold' on the trailing edges, that was supposed to be 'black' or no light emission, typically set as it appears gray to most viewers....but the synch signals stood much taller in amplitude so that gave birth to the phrase 'blacker than black'......